Down To Earth

The biggest challenge with our juice fast was getting juice when we were away from home. Juice loses much of it’s oomph if not consumed immediately, so a google search with home and work zip codes gave us places to continue juicing fresh away from our own kitchen.

With the search, I am very happy to have found a great cafe very close to home – Down To Earth Cafe in Multnomah Village. They have a menu of delicious fresh juice blends, and we agreed to return post fast. For breakfast.

We started with juice, of course.

Jason’s was this bold, bright beauty called the Down to Earth Medley – apple, beet, carrot and ginger. A classic we make at home often.

I chose the wonderfully richΒ Drink Your Veggies and FruitΒ – carrot, apple, lemon, spinach, pineapple and walnuts. Inventive and tasty!

We both chose the Vegan Breakfast BurritoΒ – tortilla filled with tofu scrambled with potatoes, red onions, green peppers and tomatoes; topped with avocado and served with salsa.

This was incredible. Savory, satisfying and wholesome. There are a few tasty vegan choices on the menus, although I could see myself ordering this exact dish again and again.

I was happy.

Was I just trying not to think of the marionette in the corner?

Creepy – I am not a fan.

A tasty break fast in more ways than one! Perfect after a fun night out the prior evening, complete with three stamps leaving me looking tattooed:

I am happy this is so close to our neighborhood – we will definitely be semi regulars. I want to return for breakfast lunch and dinner.

Do you have many organic, vegan and vegetarian choices at restaurants in your area?

Do you like marionettes?

Down To Earth Cafe on Urbanspoon

I would have chosen your juice combo too. Looks incredible and that wrap looks good too. We definitely don’t have anything exciting like that here. We do have one vegetarian place that sells mostly wraps and salads. It’s really pretty good and I should remember to go more often. We do have a new place near my house that uses organic and locally grown items. They have a few vegetarian/vegan items, but I’ve not tried it yet. Jason seems to like it though.

I love places that utilize the local growers – we have many sustainable places like that around Portland. wraps and salads – the standards, but it’s a start!! πŸ˜€

haha well stamps usually= fun night! One of my favorite breakfast/ lunch places uses ALL local ingredients, meat and everything. I love their omelets and they serve vermont made gluten free bread too. How much longer will you be continuing the fast for? Glad to see its still going well for you!

yep, stamps = fun! πŸ˜€ your favorite breakfast place sounds good – and I LOVE that they have gf bread – awesome! I guess I’d say we’re officially over the fast, since we’re eating again… although when I can, I’ll juice all day then have dinner, something raw or lighter that is clean eating friendly – no dairy or heavy foods. we still feel great, and I like the idea of a few days “fast” here and there, with a 10+ day fast a few times a year. it was such a great experience, and now we KNOW we can do it and it’s not bad! πŸ˜€

I love your happy face. And yes…creepy little marionette. I got stamped up too this weekend! Des Moines is actually starting to get some pretty amazing vegetarian restaurants which I’m excited about. I still eat meat, but the options you find at quirky restaurants sometimes blow my mind!

πŸ˜€ thank you! happy happy! and even if you do eat meat, you may not always want that, and it’s nice to have options. and to have the mind blowing flavors, YES. even better!

I always appreciate when restaurants will include vegetarian options – something more substantial than a salad. πŸ˜‰

I have one that is close to my work. It is typically good, but I have had a “miss” there as well. The only other one in San Antonio is actually gross! I hate giving veggies a bad name!!

aw, that’s too bad. no kidding, for someone who might just be trying healthier options, if they have a bad experience it could seriously backfire! :(

I used to live in Multnomah Village. Loved that neighborhood. That cafe must be a new one because I don’t remember it. That burrito looks delish.

it was SO good. I can’t wait to go back. we live close and are up there quite often, and I didn’t go in until I knew they had juice. (they are right up the hill from Marcos, another favorite.) I don’t know how long they’ve been there, but YUM. so good! :)

hee – yeah, the ventriloquist dolls are in the same category, most definitely. weird. my headband – I LOVE these things and have several – they’re called bicbands *see here* and they are AWESOME. they come in great colors and patterns, and they DO NOT SLIP. perfect headband. I’m NOT affiliated in any way, I just love them!! πŸ˜€

Marionettes are all kinds of creepy, and where they have this guy kind of adds to the creepy factor. I don’t want that watching over me while I’m eating. My husband has been a vegetarian with vegan tendencies for 13 years now and I’m a meat-eater so finding somewhere we both like can be difficult but we are really lucky to have lots of options where we live. There is a build-your-own burrito place that even uses a separate grill for the vegetables and tofu which makes the husband quite happy. We’re in lucky enough to be in a community that supports local produce within the local restaurants. Once place we love for breakfast makes their own soysage and it is incredible…I even prefer it to the real thing. Your breakfast/juice selections look amazing and it’s nice to see such a happy lady along with the post =)

hee! I’ll gladly brave the creepy puppet for more of this delectable food! πŸ˜€ with so many different eating styles and preferences like you + husband, it’s nice to have a place with many options. this place is that – they have vegan, vegetarian, and meat options. even better when separate cooking surfaces/utensils are used – I don’t get that picky but I know many who do.

yep – happy happy indeed, even WITH the puppet! πŸ˜‰

I live in Alberta. We are like Texas.. only in Canada. Lots of MEAT. Very little organic, vegetarian, juicy type places. It’s getting better… but we have a long long way to go. I LOVE the picture of you with your big smile. So beautiful :)

thank you, Leanne! so YOU should open a place there in Alberta! πŸ˜‰ sounds like it could be a hit, and knowing your creations, I think it would be!

almost as creepy as some of the garden gnomes – depending of course on their expression.
    You ARE happy! Love that pic – and love the updates. Yep being away is tricky tricky tricky. I’m still homebound but I’m out of my fruits and veggies – gotta go stock up again.
    Maybe (mayyyyyyyyybe) I’ll find me a little ginger :)

ginger would be VERY good for you right now, Kris! I hope you’re feeling 100% soon – no bueno being sick.

yep, that little guy is definitely a creeper, but I like this place so much I will brave him! πŸ˜€

Marionettes are scarrrrry!
    There are maybe one or two veg restaurants around here, and the only place that has juice is a yoga studio—and it’s so inconsistent (and 50% of the time it’s gross). I guess that’s why I mostly eat at home–then I know what everything is and where it came from!

oh, I so know what you mean, Lisa B – more and more I am wanting to prepare my own food. not only is it FUN, but yes, you know exactly what it is. :)

Oh boy, only in portland… But I think the left coast in general has many organic, vegan, shmorganic, and whatever- other-health-religion-you-are joints. I feel that the midwest might be lacking in this area…

and yea, I’m blaming any future nightmares on that creppy puppet!

never gave much thought to marionettes before until now. I think if I had one sitting over in a corner staring at me would creep me out. Anyway, this place looks great!

I don’t know why marionettes have always been so creepy to me. I’ll be brave for this place, however. so SO good! :)

thank you darlin! I AM happy… this juice fast made me so much more energized (didn’t know that was possible!) and finding new great restaurants always makes me smile! big hugs to you + Hudson! XO

Totally off-topic. But I saw on Janetha’s post that you are a fellow Match Game (or Match Game PM) junky. I absolutely love that game show. I totally wish they could bring that back. Betty White, Richard Dawson, Charles Nelson Riley… Brett Summers… That was an amazing AMAZING concept as well. Anyways – I just wanted to say ‘Hi’ because most poeple have NEVER heard of Match Game, which I think is a sin, because how do you not love Gene Rayburn?

hi Sarah!! I’m so happy you stopped to say hello – it made my morning! πŸ˜€ and to have a Match Game Kindred Spirit out there – even better! they SHOULD bring the show back… it really was such a great format and idea… in my opinion MUCH better than… wipeout? it could replace most reality television as well. πŸ˜‰

hope you’re having a fantastic Thursday!!

I love this post! It made me wish Billy and I had been with you the night before to receive wrist stamps AND this day after for some good juice 7 eats. I think Portland sounds like such an amazing place for this stomach of mine. Dallas is eh – just OK with the organic options, but it’s coming around!

Dorry you would LOVE Portland and all the fresh, local, organic… Mmm. I think some are just slower to realize this is what people want more and more (and less and less JUNK, hopefully), so it’s becoming more mainstream. hopefully Dallas keeps getting better!

oh yeah – if the restaurant has fresh juice!? we WILL order it πŸ˜‰ you all should come visit Portland… it’s a healthy food playground here! happy weekend!

14. Kat says

That looks great!

My favorite all-vegan places in Akron, Ohio are Julie’s Kitchen (a little breakfast/lunch place) and The Vegiterranean (a lunch/dinner place, best reserved for special occasions). But there are suprisingly a lot of vegan places here. I love them all. The juice you had reminds me of one a had at a juice bar nearby. It was carrot, ginger, and beet…and it was delicious.

Oh, and marionettes freak me out, too.

that’s great you have many vegan choices – in Portland we do too – I love it! carrot, ginger and beet – that was this morning’s juice! oh, apple too. this place is worth the marionette weirdo. πŸ˜‰