big business farmers market

in Breakfast, Portland, summertime

Despite being out past bedtime Friday night for a rock show, we still woke up early for the farmers market.

Friday we went to the Hawthorne Theater (I love this place for many reasons, though the sound is not great). The theater has a unique layout with an all ages area and an 21+ area – if it’s a band I really want to see, you’ll find me in the all ages area because it’s the closest to the stage! It has been a long time since I’ve had a cocktail these days anyway! There is also a smaller bar with a patio and karaoke. In between bands (or during a band I don’t particularly care about) guess where I am? This girl loves her karaoke.

Friday’s headliner was Big Business, a band we both like. Jared (bass) and Coady (drums) were both in The Melvins, another favorite. The drummer is amazing – definitely among the best I have ever seen and really fun to watch. So fast, to very talented. There were two openers – Thrones, which is who Jason was there for. Thrones is Joe Preston’s solo project (formerly of The Melvins, High on Fire, Earth) which sounds amazing. We talked with him after, shook his hand and bought an lp, which we came right home and listened to – good stuff, very soothing which came as a nice surprise (Joe told us it was “boring”).

The other opener was Torche, the only band of the night without Melvins ties. I had never seen them, but they have toured with bands I like (Mogwai, Stinking Lizaveta, Harvey Milk), so I had high hopes. They were pretty good – I did watch about half, then went to get fresh air in the karaoke bar – when we saw Jared come in from the patio we knew Big Business would be on soon.

It was a great night of music, and our dachshund alarm clock went off early.

We got up and headed out to the Beaverton Farmers Market – about 7 minutes from our house, arriving just after 8am opening time. It was already buzzing with people – we love walking around while waking up with our coffees.

We bought a half flat of berries, choosing the variety we wanted. We chose two strawberries, two blackberries, one raspberry and even though we have six bushes of our own, one blueberry.

Next week I am buying another half flat, all raspberries! Those were amazing and I ate the whole box within an hour of being home. I made up snacking plates for both of us, and I continued to snack until the raspberries were gone.

The most amazing raspberries I have ever had. The other berries were delicious too, and these are much bigger and sweeter than the blackberries across the street from our house. Basil and I sampled them the other day.

We managed to come home with “money”. More shopping next week!

Do you visit farmers markets or have a csa share?

What was the last good band you saw live?

1 katie August 8, 2011 at 5:16 am

Those berries I want to grab through the screen!!!! look so good! Are u making something yum with them?

I love going to rock shows, have not been to one in forever, I love that you love going to them too! Ahhhhh, we would have a blast hanging out, you are pretty cool ; )

2 spabettie August 8, 2011 at 7:45 am

hee – thanks Katie ;) of course we would have fun! I think these berries are just for eating, I’ve been using them for smoothies… if I can get more this weekend I will probably think of something great to make…

3 Heather (Where's the Beach) August 8, 2011 at 5:35 am

Those berries look incredible. I have not gone to our Farmers’ Market this year. I feel really bad for not going actually. But ours is smallish, very narrow and crowded. Kind of not fun when it’s 100 degrees out. And unfortunately, there are many vendors selling goods from their grocery stores, not directly from a local farm. Kind of defeats the purpose if you ask me.

4 spabettie August 8, 2011 at 7:44 am

aw, what’s the point? that’s weird… I probably wound’t go either – makes me even more thankful we have so many great markets here – I am always amazed!

5 Holly @ The Runny Egg August 8, 2011 at 6:13 am

Those berries look incredible — I don’t eat any raspberries because I have a hard time finding really good ones — but every once in a while I buy some that taste amazing — they are the perfect degree of ripeness :)

6 spabettie August 8, 2011 at 7:43 am

that’s what these were – SO very good! I couldn’t stop! :D

7 katie @KatieDid August 8, 2011 at 6:40 am

Your farmer’s market uses a token system? I’ve never heard of such a thing, that’s pretty interesting. I do try to go to our saturday morning farmer’s markets, although I usually just stroll and munch on samples.

8 spabettie August 8, 2011 at 7:42 am

I love the tokens! everyone accepts cash also, but I rarely carry cash, so instead of looking for an atm we can buy tokens at the info booth with a credit card! :) we LOVE to walk around and taste, and talk to the actual farmers or producers of the goodies!

9 Stephanie@MyThornsHaveRoses August 8, 2011 at 7:04 am

We went to our farmer’s market this weekend too! I got apples, kale, chard and red/yellow bell peppers. I absolutely love the market. :)

The last band I saw was Decoy {a local band} when we hired them for my mom’s 50th! I LOVE live music!

10 spabettie August 8, 2011 at 7:39 am

do you get amazing prices compared to your regular grocery too? some things are comparable, but if we walk around a bit we can find some great stuff!

11 Jess August 8, 2011 at 7:14 am

I’m in a CSA share for the first time this season and LOVE it. I’ve been trying such neat new veggies and it’s been a blast (plus the lettuce, I swear, tastes way better than store bought!). This weekend we tried kohlrabi for the first time – roasted, was delish!!

12 spabettie August 8, 2011 at 7:37 am

Mmm, roasted kohlrabi sounds delicious! I think everything tastes better from a csa, a farmers market or my own garden! :)

13 Lisa August 8, 2011 at 8:54 am

Portland has so many great farmer’s markets! I’ve been to the PSU market a few times.

The last concert I saw was Soundgarden a few weeks ago and they were GREAT.

14 Jenn L @ Peas and Crayons August 8, 2011 at 9:09 am

You seriously need to teach me to make berries look THAT GOOD! haha! These photos are fantabulous! x100000!!!!

Hooray for great music, doxies and farmer’s markets!!! <3

15 Stephanie @ extremebalance.net/blog August 8, 2011 at 9:28 am

oh, berries! So antioxilicious and so very absent from Brazil—all I ever see are some half-assed strawberries. Definitely not too tempting.

I’m not huge into experimenting with live music; I like to see stuff I know I like already. I like to live vicariously through others, though. Fun!

16 Dorry August 8, 2011 at 10:12 am

I’m loving berries, but they probably aren’t quite as good as yours! Blackberries and raspberries have been on sale at my Sunflower Farmer’s Market so I get those often, and I can totally eat a whole pint in an hour. And by hour, I mean 5 minutes. :)

17 Amanda August 8, 2011 at 10:47 am

Those berries. My stars!

Andy and I belong to a CSA but we haven’t had any berries yet. Which is shocking since we live so close to strawberry fields. They look sooo good!

18 Averie @ Love Veggies and Yoga August 8, 2011 at 12:41 pm

Girl your photography is just gorgeous!!!! :)

19 Krista {Budget Gourmet Mom} August 8, 2011 at 2:31 pm

Gorgeous pictures! Those berries look so delicious and fresh I’m not surprised the raspberries were gone in an hour!

20 spabettie August 9, 2011 at 12:50 pm

thank you!! those raspberries were unreal! I can’t wait to stock up this weekend!! :D

21 Pure2raw Twins August 8, 2011 at 7:02 pm

Love the pictures! So beautiful! It is like the fruit is literally seeing right in front of me ;) I love local farmers markets finds especially the fruit. We just got some peaches and figs…. so good !

22 spabettie August 9, 2011 at 12:47 pm

we finally saw peaches this last weekend, I was SO excited! I’ll be on the lookout for the figs…

23 Carbzilla August 9, 2011 at 6:11 pm

I’ve been loving the berries at the Mt Tabot Farmer’s Market. It’s a small little market but I try to get there when we’re down. Their boysenberries are amazing, and they sell great hummus – but maybe you can get that at all the markets.

PS We’re in the works to find a dog babysitter so we can go out to music sometime. I think it’d be easier if we had an actual baby than to find someone who will sit with her (and keep her quiet) for a few hours on a Saturday night so we can go out!

24 spabettie August 9, 2011 at 6:42 pm

oh, my that’s hilarious. I bet it wouldn’t be too difficult to find a pup sitter? I’d rather do that than babysit! ;) I need to branch out, I haven’t been to any of the other markets yet this year! when we lived downtown I loved them all! is the Mt Tabor one on the weekends too?

25 Christina February 13, 2012 at 6:25 pm