two tarts – tomato basil & tomato cheddar

Roma tomatoes and fresh basil taste like summer. The flavors go so well together in so many ways, and when they’re fresh from the garden, the flavors are simply amazing.

Fresh.

Fragrant.

Flavorful.

Lately all of my romas and basil go into my juicer, but several weeks ago I needed an appetizer for a party and I wanted to make something with these fresh flavors. These are amazing fresh right out of the oven, and I suggest you have some that way, and they are good later – a perfect portable for a party.

tomato tarts – tomato basil and tomato cheddar

makes 16-18

3 roma tomatoes, sliced
8-9 fresh basil leaves
1/4 cupΒ Teese vegan cheddar, grated/sliced
vegan puff pastry (or this, also vegan)

Roll out puff pastry and cut circles just slightly larger than the tomato slices – this is easily done with a glass. Arrange pastry rounds on prepared cookie sheet, top half with cheddar and half with a basil leaf (or both!). Top all rounds with a tomato slice, bake at 350 for 18-20 minutes, until just slightly brown.

Delicious!

What are your favorite fresh flavors of summer?

Comments

This looks so good! I love the flavors of tomato and basil (well, anything with basil, really!). Thanks for sharing and inspiring :)

I am such a sucker for tomato and basil in any format – it is the BEST combo ever. I especially love it scrambled into my eggs in the morning with a little laughing cow cheese thrown into the mix. mm.

ha – yep, Basil (the pup and the herb…) is my favorite. I still want another dachshund – a sister for B – and name her Rosemary…

thanks, Rachel – that’s exactly what this was… and I made enough to eat a few on the way… πŸ˜‰

tomato and basil… just meant to be together! (perhaps I should get a second pup and name it Roma!) πŸ˜€

Mmm, kiwis! I have been using a lot of lemon lately… and I LOVE to cook with it – a simple salad dressing or saute, perfect!

thank you, Missy! I hope I never have! I love tomatoes, especially my home grown romas. and since my dachshund’s name is Basil, I suppose we all know how I feel about that! :)

These are so freaking good! I made them for a brunch a few months ago and polished off more than humanly possible! I forgot about them though! so thanks for the gorgeous reminder – def making them again when the in-laws come into town!

MWAHHH!!!!

oh, WOW I forgot you made something similar with biscuits (just looked it up after reading your comment). pessa totally didn’t (mean to?) steal, you know?? :) and yours are even easier because the biscuits don’t ned to be cut!

if I’m trying to keep it vegan I think the biscuits have milk and or butter products in them tho.

hope all is going fab with the packing and the boxes and the bubble wrap and the packing. do you have ferret help?

I was thinking about these again today… I will be making them SOON. they are one of those simple things that taste amazing, you know? yes, you know! πŸ˜€

Yum! These look great.

I’m really enjoying your posts on StumbleUpon, but currently, you’re too maxed out to receive any shares from other people. Did you know this?

Happy Friday :)

5. Anne Jaeger says

we made these over the holiday weekend, TWICE! thank you for inspiring the most popular appetizer at our bbq, this is now an entertainment staple in our house, so easy and SO YUMMY!

6. Claire says

the best thing about this post is finding out that pastry is vegan! silly me, I never realized and just assumed it was not. THANK YOU – making these TODAY!!!

7. Danny says

my wife loves your website bettie! she made these for our weekend (football partys) and they were good. thank you! I am now looking for things she can make for dinner, she emailed me your website to do so. I do as I am told πŸ˜‰

ha – thank you, Danny! please keep in touch about what you end up picking! let me know if I can guide to specific foods, recipes or flavors!

8. Janani says

I’m making this for a light summery dinner. Have you reheated them at all? I’m hoping leftovers will reheat well in the microwave tomorrow. Thanks for the cute dinner party recipe!

hi Janani! I have reheated these, but I used the oven, so they would be crispy. A microwave may make them soft/soggy, since the tomato is on there? You are so welcome, I know you will love these! Cheers!

• Janani says

They were wonderful! I’m making them again. I don’t know if you have any advice on how to keep them from puffing up too much in the oven? I think half of my tarts had the tomatoes sliding off

hmm, I don’t know, I’ve not had this problem? put the tomato right in the middle, push down a bit? and maybe a thicker slice of tomato? glad you like them!