coming clean

in daily juice, Gluten Free, recipes, Vegan

I have something to come clean about. I wasn’t going to talk about it on the blog, because of the anticipated responses I would receive. Then I thought, I am not being fair to all of you – judging you by thinking I know what your reaction will be. The negative reactions ? I can handle it.

Coming clean – Jason and I have been on a juice fast.

Many of you know I juice a lot, two or three times a day, sometimes drinking only juice until dinner or eating raw until dinner. I’ve been doing this for a while, leaving room for indulgence and dining out.

We are currently in our fourth week, and in that time have taken some cheat days eat days – one for a wedding and two when a friend was in town and visiting us. There have also been a couple sushi dinners in there, which Jason likes to point out is still raw. ;) When we began, we said a good way to do this, for us, would include a day to eat. It works for us, and makes it easier to enjoy events and normal life.

why?

health – a cleanse.

discipline – to prove (to myself) that I could!

We initially planned a week. After the first couple days, we both felt fantastic. I even felt good on the first two days – day two was the hardest, I was tired. The next day I woke up early and full of energy, as I have most days since. I feel great, and I juice 4-6 times a day. When I make a juice for myself, I am making enough each time to fill up the juice pitcher on my juicer – I’m definitely getting plenty of calories and nutrients. I hesitate to even call this a fast.

In addition to the benefit of extra energy, detoxing and improved sleep, coming clean has left me headache free, with no allergy or congestion symptoms, and less joint / muscle pain. I have a good understanding of how my body is working, I feel clear, both internally and in my mind.

In addition to nutrient packed juice (still mostly vegetable, generally only one fruit for every 3-4 vegetables), I have been starting the day with lemon water and probiotics, and I have brought back daily dry brushing.

Juice fasting gives your digestive system a break. The body spends little to no energy on digestion, and can expend that in the cleansing and detoxing process. Drinking the juice immediately after juicing gives you the benefits of the enzymes, which break down toxins and debris in the digestion system.

This process was made easier for me because I have not been drinking coffee or alcohol for quite some time, don’t regularly eat sugar or many processed foods. When we have eaten, in most cases I have made very clean choices. The one time I didn’t (at the wedding there was salmon, pre dressed salad, orzo and cake), I felt it. My very best friend got married, I was going to eat cake!

pineapple pepper green juice

1/2 fresh pineapple, skin and core included
1 yellow bell pepper, seeded
2 large bunches kale

Juice and enjoy!

Want to know more? See Juice Fast – Your Questions Answered.

1 Heather (Where's the Beach) August 1, 2011 at 5:30 am

LOL – love that first picture. So glad this is helping with your allergies and headaches.

2 spabettie August 1, 2011 at 10:07 am

hee – glad you liked it. I thought it was a fun one. I tried to keep it until Jason got home, but it ended up in the juicer. ;) it has been SO nice to be completely headache free and not congested!

3 Megan (the long-winded one) August 1, 2011 at 5:32 am

I’m somewhat fascinated by your juice cleanse/fast…not at all in a negative way, more in a I-really-wish-I-had-your-discipline kind of way. I know my body would love to just have amazing things put inside so that all the awful, less than amazing things could find their way out. This may be a bit naive of a question but are you getting enough protein this way? I also have another random question about Mr. Basil, what do you feed him? We’re trying to keep our dogs on a better brand of food but Miss Inca has turned into Miss Picky Pants and could care less about her low ingredient, too danged expensive dog food and would rather just eat yogurt and pumpkin.

4 spabettie August 1, 2011 at 10:06 am

not naive at all, Megan. yes, I have been juicing a lot of broccoli and spinach, both great sources of protein. (some days I will juice everything BUT the spinach, then blend the spinach into the juice in a blender – that way we get ALL the spinach benefit!) :)

funny you ask about Basil… we are currently in a blend of food, switching from the ‘Wellness’ brand Grain Free formula back to the Canidae brand grain free… but I have been thinking about making Basil’s food, too. If I do, I will definitely be posting about it! :D

5 katie August 1, 2011 at 5:39 am

Hey love! I think its awesome you guys have been doing this! I really want to do a juice fast similar to the one you are doing, and eating just a hearty salad for dinner but juicing all day, the only problem I run into , is when we have things to go to, like dining out for mike’s work events, or when I travel, like this week Im away, I just have to find a right time to commit and when I dont have tons of stuff going on!

Have a great day! xoxo

6 spabettie August 1, 2011 at 9:56 am

yes, Katie, that’s why we’ve been flexible with eating, because we have work functions and other things coming up. Probably more difficult while traveling, I have a hard enough time finding a place for fresh juice sometimes!! :D hope you’re day is going great too, Katie!

7 Stefani August 1, 2011 at 5:40 am

Well hun, at the end of the day, I wouldn’t care what anyone had to say because you are doing what you need to do to make yourself feel better and that is what matters. Nothing else matters. At least you are still getting the proper amount of calories and all that :) It isn’t like you are starving yourself and getting malnourished. I am so happy to hear it is working so well for you and making you feel so great. I feel like I could use such a thing at this point myself. If only I liked juice and didn’t have insulin problems LOL. I haven’t been behaving as much as possible lately (stress I think) :( and I DEFINITELY feel it. No worries though, back on track as of today!

On the dry skin brushing bit, does that stuff really help? I kept reading about this so I got myself one but haven’t actually started yet. Anything special I need to do?

Oh and I LOVE LOVE LOVE lemon water. I just got myself some lemons as a matter of fact to help detox :) Lemons are natures detox – at least that is what they say :)

Good luck! I hope you continue to feel better :)

8 spabettie August 1, 2011 at 9:54 am

thank you, Stefani! (it’s great to see you here, by the way! how are you doing these days??) :)

like I said, I really hesitate to call this a fast, because I am FEASTING. ;) I make a large full pitcher each time, and drink it all right away. I actually have a very FULL feeling for a while, then completely satisfied for sometimes several hours. if not? I make another juice! I am really really loving this!

dry brushing, YES! I used to do it quite often (and I’ve always had it on my spa menus) and it does a lot for detoxification. I am finishing a dry brushing post and should have it up this week.

Yay lemons! yes, lemons are great for detoxing – have a great day, Stefani!

9 Stefani August 1, 2011 at 12:14 pm

I am doing OK, thanks :) Been a little busy lately :) I am so pleased to hear you are loving your new cleanse so much! :D

That is great dry brushing is good for detox as well! I wasn’t aware of that so I will have to make sure I do every day! I will be looking forward to your post :)

Hope you have a great day too :) I am immersed in family research right now :)

10 katie @KatieDid August 1, 2011 at 6:02 am

I say good for you if it’s improving your health and you feel good! Not all cleanses are created equal, for sure, and this seems a healthier way than most to go about it. It must be odd only buying produce for an entire month!

11 spabettie August 1, 2011 at 9:48 am

Thanks, Katie! yes, I think we are approaching this in a healthy way, and we definitely are not “wanting”. Eating mostly veggies with quinoa and rice with beans, etc, many of my grocery trips are MOSTLY in the produce section, with a visit to the bulk area and maybe an item or two “inside”… ;) but yes, it’s fun to just shop for produce!! :D

12 Lisa Fine August 1, 2011 at 6:04 am

Wow. I can’t imagine doing that – you two must be feeling great, and knowing you have the discipline for it must feel amazing too.

I like to try to include raw foods at each meal, though it depends on my mood, the season, and what we have available in the house. I’d love to hear what your grocery trips are like while doing this…so curious!

13 spabettie August 1, 2011 at 9:46 am

you know Lisa, the feeling of DOING this is almost as good as the dietary benefit we are getting!

grocery trips have been REALLY great – I walk into the side of the store that the produce is on, and never leave that area!
…which actually ISN’T much of a change, since I have my beans and grains in the pantry, many grocery trips are for fresh produce anyway, with maybe a visit into the bulk section or a random thing somewhere else… I also have to shop more frequently, two sometimes three trips a week, or at least stop on the way home for fresh bunches of kale (we go through a lot of kale right now, and I like it fresh so I don’t buy TOO much at once). I am sticking to organics at least for the Dirty Dozen, which is more expensive, but to me it’s definitely worth it. on the subject of cost, Jason’s midday juice is a large fresh one for Jamba Juice, or a couple smaller ones from another place, averaging about $8-10, which is close to if not less than what he would spend on lunch. After the first week I started a “master list” of produce we really like to juice, and I use that to shop from, based on what we need. then I’ll look for other things that might be new (like the super fresh peaches right now – YUM!) :D

14 Holly @ The Runny Egg August 1, 2011 at 6:20 am

I’m glad you are both feeling great!

I’m interested to hear more about the dry brushing — a former coworker of mine used to do it and she told me a little about it, but that was a few years ago and I don’t really remember what she shared with me.

15 spabettie August 1, 2011 at 9:35 am

Holly I am finishing a post on dry brushing – I’ll have it up later this week! :D

16 Sarah @ The Smart Kitchen August 1, 2011 at 7:18 am

OK, so get this: the juices we’ve been making at the store have been calling my name like CRAZY. Me? Wanting JUICE? And juice of VEGGIES?

It’s kind of surreal, and I haven’t actually done anything like a fast or whatnot, but I’m getting more and more intrigued by the whole thing…so maybe…MAYBE I’ll get into this.

Have you read The Butcher and the Vegetarian yet? Please do it…you’ll really appreciate the story arc…but I don’t want to say any more. :)

17 spabettie August 1, 2011 at 9:33 am

um, Sarah? are you feeling okay? ;) :D that’s exciting, and I’m smiling big right now. you should try one. talk to some of the people you make them for (probably some regulars??) and ask them why they love it so.

I’ve been meaning to tell you – YES, I recently finished The Butcher and the Vegetarian – LOVED it. It’s one of those books I know I’ll read again and again, you know? It’s such a great story to follow – and written in a way that I didn’t want to put it down. I may do a review soon.

18 lindsay August 1, 2011 at 7:24 am

Seems like you two are doing great with it! You know whats best for your body, how could we ever be mad at that? I love all your nourishing juices and I am excited to see the overall results when you are done. Keep us posted!

19 spabettie August 1, 2011 at 9:29 am

thanks, Lindsay! I’ve had to learn more about my body’s needs in these last few months, and it’s been great for the most part. I’ll definitely keep you posted – have a great week!

20 Roz August 1, 2011 at 7:27 am

Hi Kristina, yay you! You must both be feeling great!! I’ll say it again, you ARE the Juice Maven (and yes, that could definitely be the name of your cookbook! :) ) Have a great day!!!

21 spabettie August 1, 2011 at 9:27 am

hee – Juice Maven, I love it! :) (probably better than Maverick… although that was a goodie too!). we are feeling pretty darn good!

22 Jessica @ Dairy Free Betty August 1, 2011 at 8:31 am

Cute first picture! After reading crazy sexy diet, I really wanted to give this a try, but I personally don’t get enough energy from juicing. Within an hour I am starving……….. but I should do the raw thing again!

23 Jenn L @ Peas and Crayons August 1, 2011 at 9:45 am

I think a little raw cleanse with cheat days sounds like a nice little detox and change of pace – and yeah you TOTALLY are rocking some discipline girl!!!!

tell ya what… come make my juice and i’ll join you for a few weeks =)

24 spabettie August 1, 2011 at 10:15 am

awww – I would love to come hang out and do this with you!! think how much fun we’d have – the time we weren’t spending cooking we could be CRAFTY! :D

25 Green Dog Wine August 1, 2011 at 9:55 am

Thank you so much for sharing Bettie! :) I’m actually so glad you did! Mike and I have been toying with the idea of a juice fast (especially after watching Fat, Sick and Nearly Dead) – it just seems like a good reset to the system *(especially with what we put into our systems, we still drink and splurge on nasty food a little too often)

I 110% approve, and am thankful you shared! :) Great job!

26 spabettie August 1, 2011 at 10:14 am

thanks, Allison! we had been doing this a week when we watched Fat Sick and Nearly Dead – SUCH A GREAT MOVIE!! while we are not in that shape (medicine dependent, high blood pressure, etc) it DID reinforce that what we were doing isn’t crazy, and is actually very sane! ;)

we too like our cocktails and great foods, so yeah, this feels GREAT!! :D

27 Kris | iheartwellness.com August 1, 2011 at 10:40 am

You are too cute!! Congrats on your long hauled juice fast! I think its FAB and would love to do it….but I really love eating and chewing so much….I would be cranky I think :( But i know it so good for you!!

How much produce do you go through?! LOL
xxoo

28 spabettie August 1, 2011 at 11:16 am

ha – we are using A LOT of produce!! (and playing with it too, apparently…) ;) most of the time I re-juice the pulp at least once, sometimes twice (with the carrot, pineapple and cucumber pulp) and feel good that I’m wasting as little as possible. it’s funny, I really never thought I’d last this long, I love to eat too! but it’s the COOKING that I miss, the being in the kitchen. I’m okay with the not eating, and every now and then I’ll eat a piece of fruit or veggie just to chew, but not often.

I’m working on some recipe proofing right now, so I DO get to spend time cooking, which has been great! then I invite people over to eat it, so I’m not missing the social aspect either! :D

29 janetha @ meals & moves August 1, 2011 at 11:30 am

Ha I love that photo at the beginning. When someone is able to do something that takes a lot of willpower and determination, I am super impressed. Good for you!

30 spabettie August 2, 2011 at 9:29 am

thank you, Janetha! that aspect definitely makes me feel pretty awesome. like, What’s NEXT? :D

31 Stephanie, The Recipe Renovator August 1, 2011 at 11:36 am

Very inspiring post… I do have a great old Champion juicer… had not thought of doing all my meals in it… I bet you do go through a ton of produce!

32 spabettie August 2, 2011 at 9:28 am

thank you, Stephanie! I’m glad you find it inspiring, I am inspired by everyone’s support and excitement! yes, we do go through a lot! I am shopping 2-3 times a week, to keep things fresh, but it’s a quick trip now! :)

33 Averie @ Love Veggies and Yoga August 1, 2011 at 11:42 am

Glad you’re doing YOUR thing and doing what works FOR YOU!

When you had your 7 links post, you could have just inserted “doing a juice fast” into the controversial category :)

Glad you guys are doing what you want, do your thing, to each her own.

The pics are GORGEOUS!!! in this post!
When you shoot pics like this, do you shoot aperture priority, i.e. Av mode on a Canon, or do you shoot full manual? What kind of f/stops and shutter speeds do you use? They are so vibrant, clear…PERFECT!!! :)

34 spabettie August 2, 2011 at 9:27 am

ha, I absolutely thought of that potential controversy – knowing this post was coming along after! :) so far it’s been good, though, some amazing supportive comments that have me beaming over here!! :D and THANK YOU – I liked the outcome of these photos. they were f/2.5 and exposure 1/30.

35 Susan (Oliepants) August 1, 2011 at 2:00 pm

I’m loving that pine-pepper picture! ;)

I totally support and commend you for the juice fast. I’ve done it and it’s fabulous. Kudos to you and Jason!

36 spabettie August 2, 2011 at 9:17 am

THANK YOU for your support, Susan! we are loving this – it’s been amazing in SO many ways! and not cooking leaves me time to play with my food in new ways – the pine pepper! :D

37 lindsay August 1, 2011 at 3:23 pm

And the cat is outta the bag! Or should I say the dachshund? ;) So glad you opened up and shared with all of your readers, and judging by your comments you are getting some positive and reassuring feedback, which is always a plus! I’m so glad I did my juicing fast and I almost wish I could have gone for longer. I learned so much about myself and my body. Think I’m going to try to do one at least once or twice a year for sure. Also I’ve been getting loads of emails from readers and family asking me questions about juice fasting so it’s been kind of a fun adventure!

-your juice fasting partner in crime xoxo

38 spabettie August 2, 2011 at 9:15 am

hi Lindsay!! :D weee! I’m so glad I did share, even if I do get some that disagree (none yet!) this has been a VERY positive experience for both of us, and I have learned so much too! Jason and I are definitely talking about how to incorporate this into a long term lifestyle, with regular fasting a couple times a year.

thank you SO MUCH for your support – it is fun to know I do have you as a partner in crime as I go through this!! :D

39 Joyce Cherrier August 1, 2011 at 7:05 pm

How inspiring! Love your pepper with the pineapple head! Totally made me want to start a juicing session! A fav is beet, celery, kale and carrot (easy on the carrots) Also love that you do YOUR thing ~ Awesome :)

40 spabettie August 2, 2011 at 9:08 am

THANK YOU JOYCE!! :D I can FEEL your energy and excitement for me in your words, really! thanks for being supportive and awesome – and I’m glad you appreciate my pine-pepper! while I don’t really miss eating, I DO miss creating in the kitchen… so there’s that. ;)

41 Sarena (The Non-Dairy Queen) August 1, 2011 at 7:19 pm

I think to each his own with it comes to cleansing. I eat so clean all the time since I can’t have dairy and I don’t eat meat…I don’t know that I would get much from it. I do think that it can be beneficial though and I’m glad this has worked for you two! Your juices are always so pretty.

42 spabettie August 2, 2011 at 9:06 am

hi Sarena! I eat fairly clean much of the time, but there are the occasional restaurant and cocktail night out… having not had alcohol or coffee for some time and with my regular juicing already, I know I had an easier transition than many do – and skipped many of the detoxing effects. (I mainly felt tired one day, no headaches or anything!). and thank you – I’m glad you like my juicing – I really like sharing them here! :D

43 Rivki Locker (Ordinary Blogger) August 1, 2011 at 8:21 pm

Wow, I am amazed at all the health benefits you are seeing. That’s really great. Keep it up.

44 spabettie August 2, 2011 at 9:00 am

thanks, Rivki! it’s been pretty awesome!

45 Sayward August 1, 2011 at 8:28 pm

Right on! Were you inspired by the movie “Fat Sick and Nearly Dead”, by any chance? I keep hearing about people taking up juicing/juice fasting after seeing that movie; apparently it’s really good!

I’m jealous and really eager to do a little cleanse. I used to do something annually but have been pregnant or breastfeeding for the past 2 years, so no detox for me. As soon as my bubs weans I’ll be doing a juice feast (unless I’m pregnant again, haha). Really looking forward to it!

PS – that forst pic is so rad. =)

46 spabettie August 2, 2011 at 8:59 am

hi Sayward – good to “see” you! :) we had been on the fast for about a week when we watched that film – it’s a great film and I’ve heard very motivating too! it definitely reinforced what we were doing, gave us renewed motivation and energy to keep going! if you get a chance to see it I would – I know you eat very clean, and I do too, for the most part. we didn’t have the health issues that the two in the film had, no medications, etc, but it is STILL a very motivating film – we loved watching the story, I’ve watched it again with friends.

I love that you call it juice feast – because it really is! I called it that the other day and my friend did a double take and thought about it… yeah, it really is! :D glad you like my “pine-pepper” :) I’m not really missing EATING, but I am missing creating in the kitchen… obviously! ;)

47 Casey @ Pocket Full of Sunshine August 1, 2011 at 8:50 pm

What a great post! I know almost nothing about juicing and am so intrigued. This only convinced me more that I need to try it. Thanks for sharing the recipe too—I love pineapple so that one will be a must try!

48 spabettie August 2, 2011 at 8:54 am

hi Casey! please let me know if you have any questions – I would love to help if you are even thinking about getting a juicer for semi-regular use. and yes, pineapple is a great addition, especially when using a lot of greens that might be bitter – all you taste is pineapple, but you’re getting the benefits of all the greens too! :D

49 hihorosie August 1, 2011 at 11:04 pm

Good for you! I’ve been wanting to do a juice fast on a small scale. When I do I’ll be checking back here for more juicing inspiration. Your juices always look so good. :)

50 spabettie August 2, 2011 at 8:52 am

thanks, friend! you know I have a pretty good amount of juice recipes… tried and tested and tasty! :D xo

51 sidiqa August 2, 2011 at 4:09 am

love it. I have always wanted to do this for a prolonged period of time. you feel amazing and refreshed.

52 spabettie August 2, 2011 at 8:52 am

it’s been pretty amazing – I DO feel awesome. clean! :)

53 Kath (My Funny Little Life) August 2, 2011 at 4:21 am

When I first saw that pinepepper, I thought, “Okay Kath, just face the truth: There’s an abundancy of food you still don’t know it even exists, and this after so many months of food blogging.” And then I realized that you had tricked me. :D

Why were you afraid of people leaving negative comments? Because this might be “irresponsible” regarding your health? I don’t think so. Just do what makes my feel good – it’s your body! :)

54 spabettie August 2, 2011 at 8:51 am

hee hee! how did I trick you? I bought that pinepepper from a jackalope in the parking lot of the market. ;)

and yes, like I said the other day, I’m not one looking to create controversy on the blog, and I know there are many people who DO think it’s irresponsible. then it hit me that I was “judging” my readers, thinking I knew what their thoughts were? silly of me. and I have never been one to care what people think, or let it sway my actions much. we went into this armed with researched knowledge (Jason wouldn’t do this without it, either!) and we’re both happy and feeling great! :D

55 Kath (My Funny Little Life) August 2, 2011 at 9:01 am

Oh, I must see if I can find pinepeppers then somewhere! ;)

I’d never have assumed you’d do something irresponsible. I mean, it’s not that you drink nothing but diluted apple cider vinegar for a couple of weeks. ;)

56 spabettie August 2, 2011 at 10:10 am

blech, I couldn’t do something like that. I’d be VERY feisty. ;)

57 spabettie August 2, 2011 at 10:11 am

I hear the pinepepper is only peddled by the jackalope. look closely around the parking lots of your market.

58 luvall August 2, 2011 at 5:22 am

I would love to do this cleansing. Could u please suggest a book or a website where I could find out more. As I have many questions abt how to go abt this.

59 spabettie August 2, 2011 at 8:45 am

I am working on a follow up post right now to answer questions I have been asked about the process. I would love to answer your questions for you!

60 Jason (Jason's BBQ Adventures) August 2, 2011 at 5:51 am

Way to go! We recently watched Fat, Sick, and Nearly dead ourselves and now are in the market for a juicer. How juicing helped those 2 is really inspiring and I definitely will recommend that documentary to others. The great thing is about this post is you probably are going to get others to look into it and potentially cleanse their bodies! Great inspiration!

61 spabettie August 2, 2011 at 8:42 am

I should have talked about that film – we watched it after our first week of fasting and LOVED it. you are right, so very inspiring and for us, it was reinforcement that what we were doing was a great thing, and energized us even more! I’ve watched it again with friends – and was thinking about watching it again yesterday, just because! :) I am doing a follow up post to answer questions I’ve gotten, and I’ll talk about the film too. we have the same juicer that he has in the movie, I’d recommend it. we’ve had it almost a year and even with my couple times a day juicing it’s held up well. now with 4-6 times a day, it’s a great juicer! a major complaint people have about juicing is “too much to clean” – I just don’t look at it that way, and make myself clean all juicer parts before I can drink my juice. it does fast, and once you are juicing a lot you get into a routine. :D Good luck to you, if I can answer questions please ask!

62 Stephanie@MyThornsHaveRoses August 4, 2011 at 7:22 am

We have that juicer too! So ironic that we were planning on going raw again in August {decided in February!} and the DAY BEFORE we started the cleanse we stumbled upon Fat, Sick & Nearly Dead. Just total affirmation. Plus some of the people in the film were from Iowa. :)

63 spabettie August 4, 2011 at 9:23 am

absolute affirmation! that’s how we felt too! I thought the whole film was amazing.

64 Michaela August 2, 2011 at 6:40 am

Hello!

I recently found your blog and love it! This post couldn’t come at a better time for me. Next week I plan on doing my first juice fast. I was completely inspired to try one after watching the documentary, “Fat, Sick and Nearly Dead.” I’m really looking forward to the cleansing aspects of a juice fast. I will most certainly be checking back here for more delicious juice recipes! Thank you!

65 spabettie August 2, 2011 at 8:33 am

hi Michaela! I am so happy you said hello – good luck to you on your fast, please come back and let me know how you are doing, if you have any questions or just need some support the first couple days! :D we watched that film after our first week of fasting – it reinforced what we were doing and gave us renewed determination and energy! cheers to you!!

66 (what runs) Lori August 2, 2011 at 10:35 am

How long have you been on the juice fast now?

I did a 60 day raw “cleanse” of only eating raw, vegan foods. barely even any cooked veggies! I felt incredible… and then it started getting hard to eat with people and I was really tired. But the first month was wonderful and I’d like to start incorporating more juices into my diet again.

You rock.

67 spabettie August 2, 2011 at 10:56 am

we’ve been doing this for a month now – but straight days in a row with no eating (we went to the wedding, other events here and there…) the most we’ve done is 10. right now I’m on day 3, and hope to go at least another 7 days (some of the research I’ve found says it’s most beneficial after at least a week). we have more events coming up, and while I am LOVING this, I do want to be able to enjoy other things too. we’re talking about how to do this long term, like I was before the fast – regular juicing, lots of raw foods, with a fast a couple times a year.

thank you – YOU rock, Lori!! XO

68 (what runs) Lori August 3, 2011 at 7:54 am

No, YOU rock! Seriously, juice “feasting” is hard stuff. Mentally and physically! You’re my hero. I’d love to learn more about it in a future post, if you’re up for it.

Have a WONDERFUL Wednesday!!!

69 spabettie August 3, 2011 at 8:39 am

I am working on a “your questions answered” post to answer all the questions I’ve been getting (a lot – weee!) any specific questions you have or things you want me to cover? i’m trying to think of all the details and as I answer questions I think of other things… it will probably bring even more questions, so possibly a two part post! :D let me know – and THANK YOU again for your awesome support!! <3

70 Stephanie@MyThornsHaveRoses August 4, 2011 at 7:19 am

Now it’s my turn to ask, “how did I miss this post?” :) I felt exactly the same on Day 2. Each day two babies arrive at my place an entire hour and half before everyone else. Usually they are back to sleep a few minutes after their mamas drop them off so I’ll nap next to them until the others arrive. The past few days since going raw I haven’t felt any need to get the extra zzz’s. It’s amazing how much of a difference I already feel 4 days into it. I think we’ll probably do something similar with one meal a day not raw once this is over. It’s funny that I begged Ry to include sushi in our diet as it was also “raw.” He laughed and said I’d drain our bank account with wanting to eat it daily. :) I also appreciate the discipline aspect of this whole thing!

71 spabettie August 4, 2011 at 9:26 am

I know, I am feeling so much great energy! I am on day four again also (we had an event over the weekend, I had a salmon caesar salad…) so I love knowing you’re out there on the same timeline as me – if I need an extra motivating smile or something! I love that we both try to justify sushi, too. ;) XXO!

72 Heather @ Kiss My Broccoli August 7, 2011 at 7:39 pm

I read the first line, saw the pic and thought to myself, “She’s created a new hybrid veggie/fruit…the pepperapple!” Hahaha!

Wow, I can only imagine the amount of willpower that goes into a juice fast for more than a day…well, actually now that I think about it, I’m not sure if I could do it for one MEAL! ;)

I can’t believe I missed this post, and forgive me if you’ve already answered this somewhere in the earlier comments, but are you still working out regularly? If so, how is your energy/recovery? I know sometimes when I only have a salad (even a big one) as my meal prior to working out, I don’t seem to have enough “oomph”…for lack of a better word! ;)

73 spabettie August 7, 2011 at 10:05 pm

you like my pine-pepper, huh? ;) this is what happens to me when I am not cooking. have to get creative somehow!

great question – I am still working out, but NOT NEARLY as active as I usually am… I am still lifting and my runs are more walking right now. I definitely am missing it and get great workouts in on my eating days ;)

74 eva @5fruitsNveggies August 7, 2011 at 8:15 pm

so you probably know my opinion–AWESOME!…i have yet to do a juice cleanse, but i know one of these days i will…i drink almost 1 quart daily and eat lots of raw…but still have not done the juice fast…
i have one question—-pineapple core & all—you also juice the outside thorny skin???…

75 spabettie August 7, 2011 at 10:00 pm

of course you would approve, eva! :D and thank you! ;) yep – pineapple is so easy, I have to chop it in pieces to fit the juicer, and I use the whole thing! skin and core – the skin has flavor, I think, and the core makes the juice really frothy! I also like to use pineapple when I’m juicing things like beet greens or something else bitter (like the days I’m using up everything and the pineapple can mask some flavors! :D

76 Candice August 9, 2011 at 11:26 am

A friend sent me your blog when I was doing my 10-day juice fast/cleanse. I am now so excited to see that you too, are doing a cleanse. I was juicing only 3 times a day, but still felt incredibly energetic after the first couple days. Now that I’m eating whole foods again, I’m feeling pretty lethargic..although, I probably introduced carbs back in to my diet too soon.

I plan on doing this again soon, but I had a quick question. Since you juice so much throughout the day…do you clean your juicer each time you use it??? I want to juice more than 3 times a day, but the cleanup deters me from doing so.

77 spabettie August 9, 2011 at 11:56 am

hi Candice! I’m so happy your friend sent you! we are loving our cleanse!

yes, I do clean my juicer each time – I make myself clean it before I can drink my juice, and it really only takes a few more minutes, at most. I have it down to a pretty quick routine now, turning on the hot water as soon as I am done juicing, grab my scrub brush and just clean each piece as I take it apart, and I have a drying mat I stack it all on. once or twice a week I’ll run it all through the dishwasher (EXCEPT the plunger – that will melt / lose shape and not fit after). yes, it can be a pain with what, six pieces plus wiping down the base, but when I think of cleaning dishes and cooking equipment, I think it more than balances out. if you think of how much time you are probably saving, the extra clean up each time might be more manageable? :)

while actively fasting, we do still eat if we want to. I try to stick to raw foods, and mostly fruit and vegetables until I’m ready to integrate eating every day again… I did have a vegan tofu scramble breakfast burrito for lunch the other day, and thankfully it was the weekend because I CRASHED after I ate that – I was SO tired I took a nap! :D I will definitely be keeping that in mind as I start eating again!

keep in touch and let me know when you start up again! take care!

78 Candice August 10, 2011 at 12:12 pm

I figured you did, because the pulp could get to smelling pretty funky if you leave it sitting. :) I put a plastic baggies in my pulp bin, which makes cleanup that much easier, however probably not great for mother earth…I didn’t think of that when I was selfishly thinking of cleanup time. So I’ll get through these bags and suffer through the cleanup process. ;)

What is your take on being active while on a juice cleanse? I stayed away from the gym while I was on my cleanse, but I could really tell that my muscle definition deteriorated a bit during my first 10-day fast. I wanted to incorporate exercise the next time I do the fast…obviously not too much though!

79 spabettie August 10, 2011 at 5:03 pm

the bag is a great idea for easy cleanup and no smell – you can just tie it up and throw away… but yes, not the most environmentally friendly – you could find some that are biodegradable – like the ones made from corn! :)

activity level – HAS gone down considerably! I talked about this today in my FAQ post – I am still “working out” but at a lower intensity – mostly long walks (which have been great!) and lifting but much less. I ran the other day, for a short time. that is one thing I look forward to at the completion of this – a good workout!! :)

80 Barb September 2, 2011 at 10:16 pm

oh, boy am I glad I found you!! I am on day three of my cleanse, and am doing great! what I need is support in explanation, you know? :)

81 Marathon Me September 20, 2011 at 9:08 am

Hey SpaBettie,

When you are on a juice fast how do you handle travelling? Can you just drink Odwalla Superfood or something, or is there too much sugars/other crap in there?

F

82 spabettie September 20, 2011 at 9:21 am

traveling definitely adds a challenge, but it can be done. I have used Odwalla, although it isn’t fresh / raw anymore. we looked for restaurants and other places that served fresh juice, and Jamba Juice actually has juice, too! (I thought Jamba was only smoothies, and I didn’t think they were fresh fruit). we are traveling again soon and I plan to bring my juicer with me, as our hotel has a kitchenette, and I will find a grocery. I know this isn’t always an option – if I were flying I certainly wouldn’t do that. Odwalla or other bottled juices in the cold cases work well for traveling – there are a few good brands that are 100% juice and they are tasty!

83 Marathon Me September 20, 2011 at 9:52 am

If odwolla isn’t recommend, who are?

Also, Alcohol is a juice right? ;)

84 spabettie September 20, 2011 at 10:34 am

I just did a google search for the juice I generally buy at whole foods – I can’t find it – next time I see it I’ll let you know! and… wine is grape juice, so… ;)

85 Brenda September 23, 2011 at 1:08 pm

thank you so much for all of your information. I bought the movie after seeing your giveaway (I couldnt wait, we watched it on amazon!) and I’ve started my own fast! I have been 6 days now and going SO SO GREAT

I feel awesome and I have you to thank!!

86 spabettie September 27, 2011 at 10:40 am

I am SO happy to hear that, Brenda! did you see my reply to your email? have a fantastic day!

87 sara October 27, 2011 at 3:49 am

our juicer is delivered TOMORROW!!! we can’t wait to get started, I have this bookmarked and printed several of your recipes too. thank you so much!!

88 Barbara | Creative Culinary October 28, 2011 at 11:41 am

Coming clean is only important after eating nothing but Cocoa Krispies for 5 meals in a row (I’m not naming names but her initials are BK).

I don’t know if I could do this but it sure does sound healthy…you go girl!

89 spabettie October 28, 2011 at 11:47 am

haa haa – awesome. you just made me laugh out loud, my friend! :D

90 Rebel Chick Jenn October 29, 2011 at 2:42 pm

Oh my, I have to say, I am really happy for you! I have always wanted to do a cleanse like that, but I lack the will power. Good for you!

91 spabettie November 1, 2011 at 9:40 am

it really gets VERY easy after the first few days (which yes, are Pure Torture!) ;) I’m about to start another one… wish me luck!

92 Randy November 4, 2011 at 11:52 am

Gail and I JUST bought a jucier yesterday, thanks to you we are embarking on a journey today! juice for breakfast and with lunch, and this week we are phasing to a raw diet with juice. thank you for being such an inspiration, love your recipes and photos too.

93 Doc Natasha November 10, 2011 at 3:02 pm

great discussion, Kris. you really know your stuff, impressed!

94 Kendall November 13, 2011 at 3:36 am

I came here to tell you how you have helped change my life!! seriously, I am not exagerrating at all, this has been a life changing time! I read this and saw the Fat, Sick, and Nearly Dead movie within the same week, and then went to buy a juicer immediately. I started using your recipes (which was great at first, to keep me interested!!!) and now I am more or less using one or two main combos. I have unlimited energy, I feel spectacular spectacular, and so healthy! thank you!

95 spabettie November 14, 2011 at 7:21 am

ah, Kendall, you have no idea how happy this makes me! thank you SO much for connecting – I would love to hear more! we did the same thing, at first I had a great time coming up with different recipes (uh, not ALL of them were good…) ;) and now we have a couple juices we always make also – we still love it just as much, though!

I am so happy to hear this, please keep in touch!

96 Pat November 13, 2011 at 8:35 pm

thank you for so much information! this is very motivating for me!

97 curlsz December 30, 2011 at 4:48 pm

I think pre “fat, sick and ….” more people would give you negative responses for “going to an extreme” but really the amount of junk food and fast food we eat is the real extreme part

question – juicing pineapple with the skin? how does the juicer handle that?

98 spabettie December 30, 2011 at 4:52 pm

absolutely! all I do is chop the top off, then cut the rest into strips that fit into the juicer feed. even the core (fiber!) :)

and yes – I have had my fair share of folks telling me this is ridiculous, extreme or dumb. I didn’t do it to get off medications or anything like they do in the film, I just feel great when doing it! :)

99 curlsz December 30, 2011 at 5:04 pm

ok i’ll try it with the skin on – nervously bites nails.

you’re response should be – well i wanted to eat fast food and dorritos every day but then i realized i’d be just like the other 85% of Americans

100 spabettie December 30, 2011 at 9:37 pm

it’s totally fine! the skin cannot get through that mesh, so it all ends up in the pulp. (just wash it, like everything else).

the only things I can think of that I don’t put through the juicer – citrus peel, the tops of carrots from the grocery store (even organic, they always look gross) and apple cores – the seeds are toxic, at least to dogs, and I sometimes use the apple pulp to make Basil some doggie treats!) :D

keep asking ANY and ALL questions – I learned all I know by months of trial, error and research – I am happy to pass it all along! XO

101 Stan Kravolski February 8, 2012 at 12:55 pm

this is wonderful news! good for you (and all of us) for ” “coming clean” ” :)

102 Stan Kravolski February 8, 2012 at 7:26 pm

thank you for your inspiration and wisdom here, I can tell this is a passionate subject you derive much energy from! I am seventeen days into a cleanse (including raw foods), so I think I pick up on the positive vibes even more! keep it up and thank you again,

S. Kravolski

103 Kelly February 16, 2012 at 3:50 am

thanks for this!

104 spabettie February 17, 2012 at 1:16 pm

you are welcome, Kelly!

105 Crystal Poppy February 16, 2012 at 7:09 am

splendid – you really love your juicing, and the enthusiasm has prompted me to try. I bought a masticator yesterday and will be juicing all weekend, begins now. my favorites to purchase while out include spinach and pineapple, I look forward to making my own combos and testing some of yours as well.

besos, CP

106 spabettie February 17, 2012 at 1:14 pm

hello Crystal! I am so happy you bought a juicer – I recently ‘upgraded’ to a masticating juicer as well, and I LOVE it. I hope your juicing is going well. take care and have a great weekend! Kristina

107 Lynne February 16, 2012 at 4:01 pm

that pinapple is so awesome!

I love this, and it invigorates me—I am beginning a cleanse on Tuesday and was referred here by TWO different people! you know your stuff, clearly. thank you for all this!

108 spabettie February 17, 2012 at 12:46 pm

hee, glad you appreciate the pineapple – I had fun making that. ;) I hope you have a great cleanse, and please let me know if you need anything – just a supportive word, answer any questions, anything! Cheers!

109 Carn February 17, 2012 at 9:22 am

thanks for this and the FAQ article, both have helped immensely.

110 spabettie February 17, 2012 at 12:33 pm

you are welcome!

111 Bibby February 18, 2012 at 6:34 am

I am begin cleanse tomorrow, thank you for all this. priceless to me!

112 Janice February 18, 2012 at 9:46 am

great info here, thank you!

113 Indra February 19, 2012 at 7:14 am

had our first juices this morning, trying for a week of juice and raw foods. thank you for all your help and sharing your experience with us. I have several of your recipes printed to try. cheers!

114 Melisser February 20, 2012 at 8:12 pm

thank you for this – I don’t know if I could ever do it, but I’m researching for maybe a day or two. would that even be beneficial?

115 Jon February 21, 2012 at 9:41 am

thanks to you we are on day three of cleanses, are doing full seven days (we had to make sure we could before comitt LOL), thank you!

116 spabettie February 22, 2012 at 7:36 am

that’s great, Jon! glad it is going well for you!

117 Samantha February 24, 2012 at 2:56 pm

today I complete my 30 day fast, all thanks to you and your guidance. I know we’ve moved our connection to email, but I had to come here to let everyone know how wonderful I think you are:

Kris has helped me in every possible way, save from showing up at my house to juice for me! (which I hope one day may happen?) :) :) she is eager to share her experience and knowledge, she is there to answer questions and help you when you are questioning yourself!! she reminds you why you are doing this, does not listen to excuses but gently reminds you why you are doing this, and becomes a valued friend in the process.

I did it, proved to myself I could, and I feel fabulous!

THANK YOU. <3

118 spabettie February 24, 2012 at 4:02 pm

oh, Sam, thank you! I am so proud of you, friend! this has been just as good for me as it has for you, and it has been fun getting to know you. we WILL juice together one day! XO k

119 Chandra March 3, 2012 at 1:29 pm

Your photos are incredible, magnifique! I do wish there was a running list of your juice choices, all four each day…any possibility you kept a log of the juices each day? Again, the photos are incredible…extraordinary!

120 Caroll June 7, 2012 at 7:55 am

Iam going to attempt to remain not overdramatic, but with your help I have changed my life!! because of you I watched the fat sick almost dead movie, then bought a juicer, did a small cleanse three days, and have began a workout routine and overhauled my diet. you started it! ;)~

121 spabettie June 9, 2012 at 9:23 am

oh Caroll, I am so happy for you! thanks for sharing, I am happy to have helped. juicing has been such an amazing thing for us, and when I hear someone has been inspired by my sharing, it makes me so happy!