cinnamon cantaloupe smoothie

in Breakfast,daily juice,daily smoothie,Gluten Free,recipes,Second Breakfast,Smoothie,Vegan

I am not complaining at all, but it has been unseasonably cool here in Portland. I’ve been wearing my long sleeves on our morning walks, and the pool is just sitting there, ready to be jumped into. After a week of cold weather and even rain, summer is returning! We are going to a wedding this evening and over the weekend are planning to grill and maybe even have that pool party.

This morning’s smoothie includes a fruit that for me, just screams summertime – cantaloupe. I am almost always transported to my grandparents house, hot summer days of playing outside, watching Grandpa Z fill the hummingbird feeders, eating frozen grapes and wedge after wedge of cantaloupe to cool off.¬†

Can I go back there just for one day?

Today’s is a very simple recipe – three ingredients – and it is quick to put together.

cinnamon cantaloupe smoothie

serves two, or me

1 banana
1/2 cantaloupe, chopped
1 tablespoon cinnamon

Blend at high speed and enjoy. Preferably on the deck in the sun with your favorite dogson dachshund.

Which, in Grandpa Z’s case, would be Hansel, the dachshund I grew up with.

Grandpa & Grandma Z, this is for you.

It is also being shared with Wellness Weekend – go check out some fantastic recipes!

1 Monique July 22, 2011 at 9:39 am

how funny, I almost thought about naming Woodstock Hansel. Or Schnitzel :) haha. Woody works I think. And I’ve been making melon smoothies a lot lately too, they are so delicious! Yours is beautiful!

2 spabettie July 22, 2011 at 9:41 am

haa – Schnitzel was considered for Basil as well. growing up I used to say I would name a dachshund Bizmarck, for the German sub :D I wonder how many dachshund people have considered Schnitzel. and I wonder how many Schnitzels are out there…

3 lindsay July 22, 2011 at 10:10 am

its funny, cause it was perfect when I was there. Wish it would have stayed warm for you.
I adore this recipe. 2 of my favorite ingredients and so comforting and cooling. I’ll drink this in honor of Grandpa Z.

4 spabettie July 22, 2011 at 10:15 am

it WAS perfect when you were here – COME BACK!! I’ll make all kinds of smoothies for you ;) I think the temps are headed back up – mid 80s this weekend, YAY!

5 MarathonVal July 22, 2011 at 10:23 am

Ooooo I love the idea of cantaloupe + cinnamon!!! That sounds so delicious and refreshing. Very creative!

6 katie July 22, 2011 at 12:26 pm

Your smoothies are rocking! The photos too look like they should be in a smoothie recipe book!

It has been HOT here, so very different from where you are!

Happy Weekend! xoxo <3

7 spabettie July 25, 2011 at 8:34 pm

funny you should mention that… I might be working on one! ;) *shhh…

8 katie @KatieDid July 22, 2011 at 12:40 pm

Yay I just came across your blog through Meg’s and I am in love with your pictures and recipes. I also have to eat gluten free and love photography, I can tell I will love takign a peek at your recipes!

9 spabettie July 25, 2011 at 8:33 pm

hi Katie! so good to “meet” you!! if you need any specific gf recipe, please ask – it is one of my favorite things to tackle!

10 Evan Thomas July 22, 2011 at 1:10 pm

I would have never thought to put cinnamon and cantaloupe. It looks dreamy.

11 spabettie July 25, 2011 at 8:30 pm

I add cinnamon to just about everything, but it is especially good here!

12 Leanne @ Healthful Pursuit July 22, 2011 at 1:50 pm

Mmm I love the poker stick thing you have with your smoothie! It’s been ridiculously cool these last couple of days, too. I’m planning to go home in a couple of minutes, have a bath, throw on a thick sweater, and snuggle up on the couch.

13 spabettie July 25, 2011 at 8:28 pm

has it warmed up there? it’s starting to here, by the weekend we are expecting high 80′s again – wee!

14 lynn @ the actor's diet July 22, 2011 at 4:32 pm

how refreshing!

15 Liz (Little Bitty Bakes) July 22, 2011 at 5:49 pm

I think you’re the ONLY one in the US who is wearing long sleeves?! While working out, no less. Crazy. Guess that’s the Pacific Northwest?

This smoothie sounds incredible. I love cantaloupe! I’ve never paired it with cinnamon but I also can’t remember the last time I didn’t enjoy cinnamon in something.

16 Shirley @ gfe July 22, 2011 at 7:15 pm

Oooh, I want this. Seriously want it! It’s gorgeous, Kristina. Three ingredient recipes make me happy and cinnamon is a great addition for sure. :-)

Love the name Hansel for a dachsund, too.

xo,
Shirley

17 spabettie July 25, 2011 at 8:27 pm

hee! Hansel was such a great pup – all pups that came after have a BIG leash to fill! :D recipes with short ingredient lists are my favorite too!

hope all is great with you, Shirley! XXO

18 Dorry July 22, 2011 at 8:32 pm

So, I have to admit, I’m not the BIGGEST cantaloupe fan, however, this could probably change my mind. And cinnamon is genius. I add it to so many things these days. Love the sweet trip down memory lane you had for Grandpa and Grandma Z! xoxo

19 Betty @ scrambled hen fruit July 22, 2011 at 8:38 pm

I wish I had a little bit of your unseasonably cool weather, because here it has been unseasonably hot. Stinkin’ hot. I keep cantaloupe (Ambrosia is my favorite) and watermelon chunks in my refrigerator for a quick pick-me-up. Melons take me back to summer too, especially the fragrance of a perfectly ripe cantaloupe sitting on the counter. When I pass by, its fragrance just calls me right to it. :) This smoothie looks so good- I’ve never combined cinnamon with cantaloupe, but it sounds wonderful! But definitely NOT on the deck in the sun. :)

20 spabettie July 25, 2011 at 8:26 pm

I have two more sitting on my counter right now and I walk by and smell them… the cinnamon is really good here, but then I add cinnamon to quite a lot! ;)

21 hihorosie July 22, 2011 at 9:10 pm

Beautiful! I’m not a huge cantalope fan but in a smoothie like this, oh yeah. My son ADORES cantalope so this is right up his alley too. Thanks for sharing and love hearing your fond memories too.

22 spabettie July 25, 2011 at 8:24 pm

you should make one for your son – does he like smoothies? :)

23 hihorosie July 22, 2011 at 9:12 pm

cantaloupe that is.

24 Pure2raw twins July 23, 2011 at 4:59 am

oh how I wish I liked cantaloupe, smoothie looks great! love the color

25 spabettie July 25, 2011 at 8:21 pm

thanks! I LOVE cantaloupe, I’ll eat your share! :)

26 Sarena (The Non-Dairy Queen) July 23, 2011 at 7:39 am

I’m so sad, I LOVE cantaloupe, but have yet to have a really good one this year. This looks amazing!

27 spabettie July 25, 2011 at 8:19 pm

oh, keep trying – I hope you get a good one soon!

28 Lwbookeater July 23, 2011 at 11:25 am

Brilliant. I want to try this a.s.a.p. My husband is always grossed out by the pumpkin-cinnamon smoothies I make for breakfast, but maybe I can sway him with a fruity twist. Thanks for sharing.

29 spabettie July 25, 2011 at 8:19 pm

I hope you try it and I hope he loves it!! :D

30 Kath (My Funny Little Life) July 23, 2011 at 1:56 pm

You’re not the only one who suffers from a cold (also rainy?) summer … :?

“Serves two. Or me.” This has made my day today. :)

31 spabettie July 25, 2011 at 8:18 pm

hee – I’m glad! :) it’s true, though. I drink the whole thing if Jason’s not around. sometimes Basil gets a bit…

32 Kris @krazy_kris July 23, 2011 at 7:50 pm

Saturday Night and I’m trolling Spabettie for some eye candy – GORGEOUS!!!!!

33 spabettie July 25, 2011 at 8:18 pm

aw, thank you my friend! :D

34 Mary @ Fervent Foodie July 24, 2011 at 6:27 am

I would like to trade some of your unseasonably cool days for some of our freakishly hot days!

35 Miriam @ Sometimes I Veg July 24, 2011 at 8:27 am

I wish we had cooler weather here in New Hampshire. I love the idea of making a smoothie with cantaloupe, and I’m sure that the dash of cinnamon ads a nice touch.

36 Jenn@slim-shoppin July 24, 2011 at 11:44 am

I have the same memory of cantaloupe. As soon as I smell it I am reminded of summers at my grandma’s in her tiny kitchen.

Love how easy this smoothie is!

37 spabettie July 25, 2011 at 8:05 pm

I love when foods give me those great memories!

38 Jenn L @ Peas and Crayons July 24, 2011 at 6:12 pm

ahhhh its gorgeous!!!!! I heart the smell of cantelope mucho!

39 spabettie July 25, 2011 at 7:51 pm

thanks, honey! I just bought two more big cantaloupes today… more of this with breakfast tomorrow! or maybe a midnight snack! :D

40 Kelly @ Laughter, Strength, and Food July 24, 2011 at 8:10 pm

One word: YUM!

And a couple more: You are genius for combining these flavors! I can’t wait to make it!

41 spabettie July 25, 2011 at 7:38 pm

I hope you love it, Kelly!

42 Stephanie @ extremebalance.net/blog July 24, 2011 at 8:53 pm

I’m totally anti-melon, sadly, and I really mean “sadly” because I love the colour so much! Very very pretty—and I’d be much happier watching you drink it than doing so myself… FOR ONCE! ;)

43 spabettie July 25, 2011 at 7:36 pm

haaa… oh, GOOD! :D one day if I’m cooking for you, I can refer to my posts during your Brazil living and can make you just about anything! :D

44 Elizabeth July 24, 2011 at 11:51 pm

MMMM Cantaloupe and pineapple are two of my favorite fruits, hands down!

45 spabettie July 25, 2011 at 7:34 pm

I love to juice pineapple – you can have the most bitter greens and add a quarter or half a pineapple (skin and core also!) and you have a SWEET nutrient rich juice! :D

46 (what runs) Lori July 25, 2011 at 7:43 am

DELICIOUS! This looks so cool and refreshing. And so so so easy.

47 spabettie July 25, 2011 at 7:33 pm

couldn’t be easier! it was delicious!

48 Ricki July 28, 2011 at 6:20 pm

As my hubby says, “simple and effective”! This sounds like a fabulous combination of ingredients–and the color is lovely. Thanks for submitting it to WW this week! :)

49 spabettie July 28, 2011 at 6:52 pm

simple and effective – yes!

50 Anny July 30, 2011 at 11:16 am

I made this today, and it’s pretty yummy. I couldn’t get it to blend, so I had to add a bit of milk. I also put in some sweetener. In retrospect, adding orange juice instead of milk would have given it a more refreshing kick, but it’s still delicious.

51 Heather @ Kiss My Broccoli July 31, 2011 at 8:44 pm

Me…magic bullet…and a cantaloupe…3 ingredient recipe for happiness in the morning! Can’t wait to try it!!

52 Kristina August 7, 2011 at 7:40 am

I made this last night for a movie snack and boy was it good! I added some Greek yogurt to increase the bulk and make it last even longer.

53 spabettie August 7, 2011 at 10:10 pm

hi Kristina!! glad you liked it – great idea adding yogurt, I bet it added great texture and flavor too!

54 Matthew "mmWine" Horbund August 9, 2011 at 7:28 am

It’s amazingly hot in FL right now – so we’re all about something to cool us down!

55 Kim Bee January 20, 2012 at 3:35 pm

This is amazing. Yum yum!

56 Bethany September 7, 2012 at 3:32 pm

This sounded amazing, so we tried it about a month ago. Oh my! The cinnamon, which we all love and frequently add to fruit, was o.ver.whel.ming. Our smoothies were totally brown and I have no idea how yours turned out so orange. We salvaged it by doubling the cantaloupe and bananas, then turning them into popsicles. The original smoothie recipe still appealed to me, though, so I tweaked it to work for us. We use one cantaloupe, four bananas, and 1/4 t. cinnamon for our version of a perfect cantaloupe smoothie. Thanks for the inspiration!

57 spabettie September 8, 2012 at 2:24 pm

great! happy you could make a smoothie you liked, and those popsicles sound awesome!