cinnamon cantaloupe smoothie

I am not complaining at all, but it has been unseasonably cool here in Portland. I’ve been wearing my long sleeves on our morning walks, and the pool is just sitting there, ready to be jumped into. After a week of cold weather and even rain, summer is returning! We are going to a wedding this evening and over the weekend are planning to grill and maybe even have that pool party.

This morning’s smoothie includes a fruit that for me, just screams summertime – cantaloupe. I am almost always transported to my grandparents house, hot summer days of playing outside, watching Grandpa Z fill the hummingbird feeders, eating frozen grapes and wedge after wedge of cantaloupe to cool off.Β

Can I go back there just for one day?

Today’s is a very simple recipe – three ingredients – and it is quick to put together.

cinnamon cantaloupe smoothie

serves two, or me

1 banana
1/2 cantaloupe, chopped
1 tablespoon cinnamonΒ

Blend at high speed and enjoy. Preferably on the deck in the sun with your favorite dogson dachshund.

Which, in Grandpa Z’s case, would be Hansel, the dachshund I grew up with.

Grandpa & Grandma Z, this is for you.

It is also being shared with Wellness Weekend – go check out some fantastic recipes!

how funny, I almost thought about naming Woodstock Hansel. Or Schnitzel :) haha. Woody works I think. And I’ve been making melon smoothies a lot lately too, they are so delicious! Yours is beautiful!

haa – Schnitzel was considered for Basil as well. growing up I used to say I would name a dachshund Bizmarck, for the German sub πŸ˜€ I wonder how many dachshund people have considered Schnitzel. and I wonder how many Schnitzels are out there…

its funny, cause it was perfect when I was there. Wish it would have stayed warm for you.
    I adore this recipe. 2 of my favorite ingredients and so comforting and cooling. I’ll drink this in honor of Grandpa Z.

it WAS perfect when you were here – COME BACK!! I’ll make all kinds of smoothies for you πŸ˜‰ I think the temps are headed back up – mid 80s this weekend, YAY!

Your smoothies are rocking! The photos too look like they should be in a smoothie recipe book!

It has been HOT here, so very different from where you are!

Happy Weekend! xoxo <3

Yay I just came across your blog through Meg’s and I am in love with your pictures and recipes. I also have to eat gluten free and love photography, I can tell I will love takign a peek at your recipes!

hi Katie! so good to “meet” you!! if you need any specific gf recipe, please ask – it is one of my favorite things to tackle!

Mmm I love the poker stick thing you have with your smoothie! It’s been ridiculously cool these last couple of days, too. I’m planning to go home in a couple of minutes, have a bath, throw on a thick sweater, and snuggle up on the couch.

has it warmed up there? it’s starting to here, by the weekend we are expecting high 80’s again – wee!

I think you’re the ONLY one in the US who is wearing long sleeves?! While working out, no less. Crazy. Guess that’s the Pacific Northwest?

This smoothie sounds incredible. I love cantaloupe! I’ve never paired it with cinnamon but I also can’t remember the last time I didn’t enjoy cinnamon in something.

Oooh, I want this. Seriously want it! It’s gorgeous, Kristina. Three ingredient recipes make me happy and cinnamon is a great addition for sure. :-)

Love the name Hansel for a dachsund, too.

hee! Hansel was such a great pup – all pups that came after have a BIG leash to fill! πŸ˜€ recipes with short ingredient lists are my favorite too!

hope all is great with you, Shirley! XXO

So, I have to admit, I’m not the BIGGEST cantaloupe fan, however, this could probably change my mind. And cinnamon is genius. I add it to so many things these days. Love the sweet trip down memory lane you had for Grandpa and Grandma Z! xoxo

I wish I had a little bit of your unseasonably cool weather, because here it has been unseasonably hot. Stinkin’ hot. I keep cantaloupe (Ambrosia is my favorite) and watermelon chunks in my refrigerator for a quick pick-me-up. Melons take me back to summer too, especially the fragrance of a perfectly ripe cantaloupe sitting on the counter. When I pass by, its fragrance just calls me right to it. :) This smoothie looks so good- I’ve never combined cinnamon with cantaloupe, but it sounds wonderful! But definitely NOT on the deck in the sun. :)

I have two more sitting on my counter right now and I walk by and smell them… the cinnamon is really good here, but then I add cinnamon to quite a lot! πŸ˜‰

Beautiful! I’m not a huge cantalope fan but in a smoothie like this, oh yeah. My son ADORES cantalope so this is right up his alley too. Thanks for sharing and love hearing your fond memories too.

Brilliant. I want to try this a.s.a.p. My husband is always grossed out by the pumpkin-cinnamon smoothies I make for breakfast, but maybe I can sway him with a fruity twist. Thanks for sharing.

hee – I’m glad! :) it’s true, though. I drink the whole thing if Jason’s not around. sometimes Basil gets a bit…

thanks, honey! I just bought two more big cantaloupes today… more of this with breakfast tomorrow! or maybe a midnight snack! πŸ˜€

haaa… oh, GOOD! πŸ˜€ one day if I’m cooking for you, I can refer to my posts during your Brazil living and can make you just about anything! πŸ˜€

I love to juice pineapple – you can have the most bitter greens and add a quarter or half a pineapple (skin and core also!) and you have a SWEET nutrient rich juice! πŸ˜€

As my hubby says, “simple and effective”! This sounds like a fabulous combination of ingredients–and the color is lovely. Thanks for submitting it to WW this week! :)

13. Anny says

I made this today, and it’s pretty yummy. I couldn’t get it to blend, so I had to add a bit of milk. I also put in some sweetener. In retrospect, adding orange juice instead of milk would have given it a more refreshing kick, but it’s still delicious.

hi Kristina!! glad you liked it – great idea adding yogurt, I bet it added great texture and flavor too!

14. Bethany says

This sounded amazing, so we tried it about a month ago. Oh my! The cinnamon, which we all love and frequently add to fruit, was o.ver.whel.ming. Our smoothies were totally brown and I have no idea how yours turned out so orange. We salvaged it by doubling the cantaloupe and bananas, then turning them into popsicles. The original smoothie recipe still appealed to me, though, so I tweaked it to work for us. We use one cantaloupe, four bananas, and 1/4 t. cinnamon for our version of a perfect cantaloupe smoothie. Thanks for the inspiration!