green grapefruit juice

Stop and smell the flowers.

An apple a day keeps the doctor away.

Carpe Diem!

I am a quote person, I love them! One of my favorites is Whatever You Focus On Gets Bigger. The way I see things is yes, sometimes there are difficult events we must deal with, but where we choose to focus can make or break our day. If there is something you can do to improve the difficult situation, do it. If there is not, focus on positives around it, or focus on positives elsewhere! Fretting and worrying about things completely out of your control does not help or change things, and it can be detrimental.

I also use Whatever You Focus On Gets Bigger in general everyday life – sure you can get upset when it’s raining, when someone cuts you off in traffic, when something minor doesn’t go your way. You can also choose to look at the positives (my garden is flourishing and I don’t have to drag the hose around the yards, there are areas in extreme heat and the rain is soothing and cool, that person didn’t see me and thankfully I didn’t hit them or it’s not worth getting worked up over). Focusing on positive can greatly influence many aspects of your day – just as giving a smile to a stranger can change theirs!

I’m not in any way saying I’m perfect, this is easy or the only way to be. Often my initial reaction is not a positive one. I do try to recovery quickly, and for me, being positive and happy is less exhausting than the alternative.

Another good one? Eat an apple a day. I have been feeling the benefits of daily apples for some time now, and don’t see that stopping any time soon.

green grapefruit juice

serves one

1 large grapefruit, peeled
5-6 celery stalks
1 bunch broccoli
1 bunch kale
1 Golden Delicious apple

Juice and enjoy!

Those of you who follow my juicing may know I really like the tartness of a Granny Smith. As we juice strong greens like kale, the Golden Delicious provides a sweeter flavor to balance that. When eating an apple, I’ll still go for my tart and beautiful green Granny, but I am enjoying the sweeter apple in juice lately.

What is your favorite apple? Do you follow my friend’s rule to eat an apple a day?

What is your favorite inspirational quote or words to live by?

I have shared this juice with Wellness Weekend!Β

Comments

Beautiful! I love the idea of juicing, and am always blown away by your photos, but I don’t have a juicer (yet). I’ll stick to my smoothies in the meantime. :)

That looks great. Question for you, what kind of juicer do you have? I have such an old one, it takes so many apples, carrots, etc.. to get juice and there is so much pulp leftover it doesn’t make it worth it to me. I’d love to get one that really makes a lot of juice and doesn’t waste the food.

Thanks! Have a great day – Jennifer

hi Jenn! we have the Breville Juice Fountain Plus <– linked. we LOVE it and I think it's pretty efficient. some of the more "wet" pulp? I just put it through again and get A LOT of juice out of the second go around! :) that's for things like carrots, generally. most pulp comes out pretty dry.

“Whatever you focus on gets bigger” – that’s so true!

My favorite quote is, “We must give things a chance to turn out well.” It’s from Elizabeth Gaskell’s novel “Wives and Daughters” which I love very much.

The graperuit juice looks wonderful … I imagine it had just the right proportion of sweet and bitter flavors. :)

ah, your quote is a nice one – I like it. I need to look into this novel, I suppose? I love to read, and at the moment have quite a backlog of books waiting for me… :)

yes, this was another favorite juice – perfect balance of flavors!

4. Wendy says

This looks so refreshingly delish! I love a nice Gala, Braeburn, or some of the more unique heirloom apples that show up around here in the fall. I, too, love a nice Granny!

hey Wendy!! :) great to “see” you here! we have an apple tree in our back yard, I thought it was a Braeburn, but I don’t know…

I don’t know that I have a favorite apple. I guess I just like them all!

Favorite quote: “It’s never crowded on the extra mile.” My college track coach gave me this quote framed when I graduated and I’ve love it ever since.

Where to start? :) I have a collection of quotes that keeps growing and growing! My favorite {obviously} is that you can choose to look at life as if roses have thorns or instead as if thorns have roses. {I am paraphrasing here!}

I WISH I could get behind eating an apple a day. I really don’t care for apples all that much. Every once in awhile I’ll get a hankering for a granny smith. :)

I spy a celery flower!!!! <3 you had me at grapefruit my dear! <3

we are overdue for a catch up sesh! I cant get anymore photos accepted =/ (just the two!) becauuuuuse i'm still being a baby on auto! haha. chicken. sheeeet!

love the celery flowers! πŸ˜€ just seeing this now, but I commented on your most recent (manicotti) that THOSE photos are stunning – they’ll get accepted! :) I wish I could come over and play – you NEED to get out of auto – seriously, trust me on this one, it is SO much fun!! πŸ˜€

This is a wonderful post, Kris! Full of positive advice, and a great reminder to all of us. I love quotes, too. :) And I love the idea of apples and grapefruit together. Mmmm.

Love the juice combo and the beautiful picture of it!

I love apples! I eat one every day! They are my favorite ; )

And like you , I believe in being happy and positive no matter what bumps come along, its the way to be : )

xoxo <3

And, you know, I was JUST thinking about this last night. I have nothing in the world to be stressed about right now so perspective is easy, but I’m also learning a lot from Brazil: on the average, I don’t see people snapping at each other, bitching each other off, or sweating too much of anything. Marcella jokes that it’s usually too hot to get bothered (har har), but it’s also true. I have a quick temper, but I’m unlearning a habit that used to make me get worked up when things didn’t go “as they’re supposed to”. When did I become the arbiter of how things ought to be?!? And *who* is benefitted by me getting angry?!

I’m turning over a new leaf and just letting it go. All of it. And I *love* it.

If Brazil sold grapefruits for less than $9 per, I could be the happiest girl around. Instead, I’m… well… the happiest girl around eating a mango. πŸ˜€

oh, I bet there are some GOOD mangoes to be had. sorry about the grapefruits, though. I just keep posting teasers, eh?

“when did I become the arbiter of how things should be??” <– so SO true!! I wish more thought that way. I'm glad you are on Brazil Perspective! yes, it's easier when "on vacation", but… that's what they're for, right? recharge! and you earned it, my friend!!

11. Lynn says

I must share my story of when I was pondering the discouragement of my new career choice and saw the quote “Success is a Journey” on the back of an elderly man’s jacket as he walked down the street at 7 am,…kind of random…it was like the quote was there for me!!! It made me feel a lot better!

Yum! I really need to dust off my juicer. Your shots are stellar!

I love pink lady apples. Fujis and granny smiths are faves of my 2yo. He eats ’em whole.

thank you!! sometimes it’s hard to shoot juice! πŸ˜‰ I need to try a pink lady, that’s a popular one in the answers…

Mmmm…the juice combo sounds yummy, and it is a great color!

An apple a day…yes, I believe in that philosophy. I read an article recently that talked about how this habit doesn’t keep the doctor away anymore because today’s apple is different nutritionally and also what it has to “combat” in the body is more severe too… regardless, it’s a good feeling thought to have—that food can help us be healthy and happy!

Since I live in apple country, I am compelled to say that Empires an Macs are my faves. But I’ll admit, a really crisp fuji or gala might top them sometimes!

One of my fave quotes:
    Leap and the net will appear!

Also:
    Be who you are and say what you feel. Those who mind don’t matter, and those who matter don’t mind.

I’ve heard that too. :( it may be nutritionally different, but (most??) people that actually DO eat an apple a day… I would guess they are also the ones who visit doctors LESS often πŸ˜‰ CRISP FUJI !! yes, so so good! :)

leap and the net will appear – such a good one! they are both really good, thank you, Lisa B !

Now THAT sounds like a great juice! I love juicing, and I often will add an apple to balance the bitterness of the greens, too. Love the sound of this one. Thanks so much for submitting it to Wellness Weekend! :)

thanks, Ricki! I love juicing too, and lately I’ve been adding fresh pineapple to balance the bitter – SO good! thank you for hosting the Wellness Weekend – I love it!

15. Felicity says

another winning spabettie juice recipe!! we’ve been juicing from your recipes for two (weeks with our brand new breville!!) and this is one of our favorites. thank you!!

16. Sharon says

beautiful color!! looks so fresh and summery, if I had one of these every (dark and cold) winter morning, I’d feel awesome!!

17. Will says

made this one for dinner, despite not really liking grapefruit! I will make again, I added some blueberry too, for sweet.

I made a similar drink yesterday but instead of broccoli I used parsley – it’s the first one my mother actually really liked – very tart indeed but really good

19. kara j says

just received a juicer for Christmas and I am happy I found your site!! this was my inaugural juice this morning, and I love it. can’t wait to try your others!

20. Jeanette Landry says

I love tart flavor and this was my first juice in my new breville, the only thing I asked for this year at the holidays. I followed your cleanse fast and am eager to begin juicing. don’t know if or when I will fast, but looking forward to the benefits of regular juice daily, and have many of your recipes on hand.

thanks!! JL

I’m so happy you liked it, Jeanette – congrats on your new juicer! the benefits are many, even without a fast!

21. ali says

soo, i am a newbie into juicing.. and i drink 2 daily.. one for breakfast and one for a late afternoon snack.. the last time i juiced broccoli, i felt miserable…. as if i had downed a whole plate of shortbread.. anyone else had that happen before? trying to decide if i want to venture back to it again..
    i usually do:
    a sweet potato
    carrots
    kale or spinach
    granny smith apple

oh, no… that hasn’t happened to me, but I really like broccoli and have not ever had issues with it? can you eat it okay, without bad feelings? the rest of what you juice sounds great!

22. Good Girl says

…I am… because I’m still on this damn cleanse LOL! I so badly wanted … chips, pizza, ANYTHINGA! just now, so I made THIS instead and I love it! really tasted great and its filling!

thanks doll XO C