Bird-Day Thursday

in photography, yard & garden

Things are getting crazy around here. I feel like Tippi.

Around 7 this morning, I heard knocking noises coming from the front rooms of the house. It took me a minute to figure out there were HUGE birds hopping across our roof.

Also? Peeking in our skylights:

Peeking, heh. They were pecking!

In addition to the dozen hopping around on the roof, there were even more in our side yard.

Look at them all!

I let Basil outside. A few crazed barks and they all flew away:

Insanity.

They’re back now. One is watching me through the skylight.

1 Lisa July 14, 2011 at 11:49 am

It’s THE BIRDS!!!

Wow! Great photos!

2 spabettie July 14, 2011 at 12:00 pm

EEEK! aren’t they crazy? loud, too – CAW CAW CAW all morning!

3 Holly @ The Runny Egg July 14, 2011 at 12:09 pm

Kristina I would be freaked out! I love the movie The Birds but when I see large groups of birds (and especially in strange places, like right outside my window) I think of that movie and imagine the little school kids getting pecked on the head! Yikes!

I’m glad you have Basil to protect you :)

4 spabettie July 14, 2011 at 2:13 pm

yep, Basil ran out there and scared them all away. now we’re sitting on the deck, and he’s keeping them away. ;)

5 Midlife Cruiser July 14, 2011 at 12:10 pm

With all this rain, your backyard must have turned into a wormishboard! The poor wee things may be peeking/pecking on your skylight to ask if they can borrow a cup of sugar. Only way to get a worm down IMO :)

6 spabettie July 14, 2011 at 2:13 pm

haaaa – is THAT it? :D I don’t even have sugar. hmm. I could toss them a packet of stevia!

7 Kelly @ Laughter, Strength, and Food July 14, 2011 at 12:32 pm

YIKES! That totally makes me nervous!

8 spabettie July 14, 2011 at 2:14 pm

it was bizarre.

9 Erin @ A Girl & Her Mutt July 14, 2011 at 2:05 pm

Holy crap thats scray! I don’t like real birds (drawings, painting, etc are ok) because I have a fear of them pecking my eyes out. Above my skylight? Uh…no.

10 spabettie July 14, 2011 at 2:15 pm

it was funny when I saw one in the bathroom skylight, I ran to get my camera (the things I think of first!) and scared him off (it SAW me!) but then there were a couple in the living room skylight a few minutes later. I was ready.

11 Jessica @ Dairy Free Betty July 14, 2011 at 3:05 pm

That. Is. CREEPY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Oh my gosh!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :)

12 spabettie July 14, 2011 at 6:42 pm

RIGHT ??? :D

13 Jenn L @ Peas and Crayons July 14, 2011 at 3:29 pm

bahaha! they want to come inside and have some juice with you =) and maybe a snack too!

so jeal you have skylights! awesome!

14 spabettie July 14, 2011 at 6:41 pm

they totally wanted to come inside! it was crazy, they were walking right across the skylights!

15 Kath (My Funny Little Life) July 14, 2011 at 4:10 pm

Cheeky little beasts. Picking on your skylights? Get them, Basil! :D

16 spabettie July 14, 2011 at 6:40 pm

little beasts indeed! Basil chased them away several times today.

17 katie July 14, 2011 at 5:28 pm

omg that is scary!

This reminds me of the scary movie called Birds, I hated that movie, after seeing it I was scared to be near a bird! lol

18 spabettie July 14, 2011 at 6:35 pm

I totally felt like Tippi Hedren.

19 Dorry July 14, 2011 at 8:20 pm

OMG! BIRDS! So frightening. And awesome. I love that you captured them in photos.

20 spabettie July 14, 2011 at 8:33 pm

totally thought of you (in a GOOD way) when writing the title of this post. :D they weren’t as scary to me as everyone else is saying, more funny than anything… because they really are LOUD, jumping around on the roof! :D

21 eva @5fruitsNveggies July 14, 2011 at 9:30 pm

i juice broc as well…and the smell almost immediately after is horrible…so i bag it up in a plastic baggie right away….

i don’t go out of my way to juice with broc, however, i use up whatever does not make it into my meals, like beet tops, or cabbage cores, or pineapple cores, stems of kale, the bottom half of parsley, or the trunks of brocci….today i had some extra arugula sitting around, the day before leftover watercress–which both leave juice tasting very mustardy….

even though my combinations are not very palatable, i gotta believe there’s still some nutrition in the stems and ribs of produce, right?….

22 spabettie July 15, 2011 at 9:37 am

isn’t the smell the worst? bagging it separately is a great idea – I need to start that! I’ll throw in a couple few trees, but yes, most of it is the “trunks” of the broccoli. I’m the same, I use everything! sometimes they are a bit… STRONG… but I drink it fast! ;) I usually like Granny Smith (TART!) apples, but have been buying Golden Delicious lately, they are sweet and help with the flavor!

and YES – you are totally getting a TON of nutrition! :D it’s ALL good!

23 eva @5fruitsNveggies July 15, 2011 at 11:11 am

cabbage also leaves that stinky smell, right?…i am glad to hear i am not the only one who has to pinch her nose and do a ‘bottoms up’ to get it down…ok, maybe i don’t pinch my nose, but sometimes i don’t breath through my nose so i don’t taste it…i just keep thinking–antioxidants, antioxidants, antioxidants….
i usually juice lemons with mine…

24 spabettie July 17, 2011 at 10:39 pm

yes, you know how you can drink like HALF the glass before really tasting it?? :) sometimes I do that when I know it’s going to be… STRONG! I don’t want to sound like I’m not enjoying it, because while it might be strong flavored, it gives me MASSIVE energy!! nothing beats that!

25 Stephanie @ extremebalance.net/blog July 15, 2011 at 3:45 am

I’m so encouraged by the comments here because I’m fairly freaked out by birds… and this sounds like I’m not the only one.

I would probably have run screaming like I did with my cockroach encounter, so I’m quite proud of you for just thinking, “have dog, will apply”. Well done, you!

26 spabettie July 15, 2011 at 9:34 am

“have dog, will apply” – hee! yes indeed. he was applied. they are back again today, and he has already been out there – his bark gets CRAZY when there are ANY animals in HIS yard… like an “Ow Ow OOOWWW” kinda whiny bark. It’s cute. and effective.

27 spabettiemom July 15, 2011 at 10:21 am

Oh ….Basil..the guard dog..hee hee…keeping the birds at bay…I love it..
I remember we took Kozmo and Tasha (previous doxies) to the beach…
oh my…their barks became a ‘honking sound’….they were so excited to chase all the seagulls……need to get Jake and Elwood to the beach…..

28 spabettie July 15, 2011 at 10:51 am

hi Mom!! :D I remember the photos from Kozmo + Tasha on the beach – SO cute.

I think you’ve probably heard Basil’s crazy bark, it turns into an almost scream. poor thing.

29 Christin@purplebirdblog July 15, 2011 at 11:07 am

Hhahahhahah, awesome… for as much as I love birds, they really can be creepy and calculating sometimes!!! :D

30 spabettie July 17, 2011 at 10:40 pm

the last time I landed in Austin and walked outdoors at the airport, one of those Dang GRACKLES dive bombed my head!! :D

31 hihorosie July 17, 2011 at 10:01 pm

Crazy birds! I love watching birds but having them peck my roof and windows would cause me to throw something at them (since I don’t have a Basil at my disposal)! Is that bad? :)

32 spabettie July 17, 2011 at 10:33 pm

hee hee – no, I would probably too, if I didn’t have Basil! :)