Bird-Day Thursday

Things are getting crazy around here. I feel like Tippi.

Around 7 this morning, I heard knocking noises coming from the front rooms of the house. It took me a minute to figure out there were HUGE birds hopping across our roof.

Also? Peeking in our skylights:

Peeking, heh. They were pecking!

In addition to the dozen hopping around on the roof, there were even more in our side yard.

Look at them all!

I let Basil outside. A few crazed barks and they all flew away:

Insanity.

They’re back now. One is watching me through the skylight.

Comments

Kristina I would be freaked out! I love the movie The Birds but when I see large groups of birds (and especially in strange places, like right outside my window) I think of that movie and imagine the little school kids getting pecked on the head! Yikes!

I’m glad you have Basil to protect you :)

yep, Basil ran out there and scared them all away. now we’re sitting on the deck, and he’s keeping them away. πŸ˜‰

With all this rain, your backyard must have turned into a wormishboard! The poor wee things may be peeking/pecking on your skylight to ask if they can borrow a cup of sugar. Only way to get a worm down IMO :)

haaaa – is THAT it? πŸ˜€ I don’t even have sugar. hmm. I could toss them a packet of stevia!

it was funny when I saw one in the bathroom skylight, I ran to get my camera (the things I think of first!) and scared him off (it SAW me!) but then there were a couple in the living room skylight a few minutes later. I was ready.

omg that is scary!

This reminds me of the scary movie called Birds, I hated that movie, after seeing it I was scared to be near a bird! lol

totally thought of you (in a GOOD way) when writing the title of this post. πŸ˜€ they weren’t as scary to me as everyone else is saying, more funny than anything… because they really are LOUD, jumping around on the roof! πŸ˜€

4. eva @5fruitsNveggies says

i juice broc as well…and the smell almost immediately after is horrible…so i bag it up in a plastic baggie right away….

i don’t go out of my way to juice with broc, however, i use up whatever does not make it into my meals, like beet tops, or cabbage cores, or pineapple cores, stems of kale, the bottom half of parsley, or the trunks of brocci….today i had some extra arugula sitting around, the day before leftover watercress–which both leave juice tasting very mustardy….

even though my combinations are not very palatable, i gotta believe there’s still some nutrition in the stems and ribs of produce, right?….

isn’t the smell the worst? bagging it separately is a great idea – I need to start that! I’ll throw in a couple few trees, but yes, most of it is the “trunks” of the broccoli. I’m the same, I use everything! sometimes they are a bit… STRONG… but I drink it fast! πŸ˜‰ I usually like Granny Smith (TART!) apples, but have been buying Golden Delicious lately, they are sweet and help with the flavor!

and YES – you are totally getting a TON of nutrition! πŸ˜€ it’s ALL good!

• eva @5fruitsNveggies says

cabbage also leaves that stinky smell, right?…i am glad to hear i am not the only one who has to pinch her nose and do a ‘bottoms up’ to get it down…ok, maybe i don’t pinch my nose, but sometimes i don’t breath through my nose so i don’t taste it…i just keep thinking–antioxidants, antioxidants, antioxidants….
        i usually juice lemons with mine…

yes, you know how you can drink like HALF the glass before really tasting it?? :) sometimes I do that when I know it’s going to be… STRONG! I don’t want to sound like I’m not enjoying it, because while it might be strong flavored, it gives me MASSIVE energy!! nothing beats that!

I’m so encouraged by the comments here because I’m fairly freaked out by birds… and this sounds like I’m not the only one.

I would probably have run screaming like I did with my cockroach encounter, so I’m quite proud of you for just thinking, “have dog, will apply”. Well done, you!

“have dog, will apply” – hee! yes indeed. he was applied. they are back again today, and he has already been out there – his bark gets CRAZY when there are ANY animals in HIS yard… like an “Ow Ow OOOWWW” kinda whiny bark. It’s cute. and effective.

6. spabettiemom says

Oh ….Basil..the guard dog..hee hee…keeping the birds at bay…I love it..
    I remember we took Kozmo and Tasha (previous doxies) to the beach…
    oh my…their barks became a ‘honking sound’….they were so excited to chase all the seagulls……need to get Jake and Elwood to the beach…..

hi Mom!! πŸ˜€ I remember the photos from Kozmo + Tasha on the beach – SO cute.

I think you’ve probably heard Basil’s crazy bark, it turns into an almost scream. poor thing.

the last time I landed in Austin and walked outdoors at the airport, one of those Dang GRACKLES dive bombed my head!! πŸ˜€

Crazy birds! I love watching birds but having them peck my roof and windows would cause me to throw something at them (since I don’t have a Basil at my disposal)! Is that bad? :)