blueberry protein shake

It’s summertime, and my Tuesday nights have a new activity. After my weeklyΒ #fitblog chat, a small group of us go on a #fitblog walk.

I heard about this last week, and was invited by my dear friend Kris to join in this time, and she, Deb, Jules, Mo, Foodie McBody and now Basil and I keep up the momentum of fitblog and we go for a walk afterwards!

Now I can take you all along, too – here we go!

Hmm, which way?

Started out through our side yard…

Basil, following the wise words of my favorite Grandpa Z, stopped to smell the flowers…

Over the bridge,

and I stopped to smell the flowers, too.

We walked the perimeter of the golf club on the other side of our property – it was a beautiful summer night.

When we came home it was time for Dinner Number Two.

blueberry protein shake

serves two

3-4 large handfuls fresh blueberries
2 scoops protein powder (Vega vanilla chai)
1 1/2 cups almond milk
ice cubes

Blend! Smile at the flavor trend you seem to be on, and enjoy!

Do you use protein powder? What is your favorite brand?

Comments

Post after post, I keep admiring your straws. They look reusable & I have to have them. Where did you find these, if you don’t mind me asking.

Oh, & you rock my world.
    Thanks for the quick, simple, & delicious vegan/gf recipes.
    I lub you for it!

_thom

I find most of my straws online. these striped straws are NOT reusable – they are paper. fun, though πŸ˜€

That bridge is too cute!

My favorite protein powder is ON brand — I get the natural vanilla flavor 100% whey — it blends well and tastes good! Jason usually has such bad reactions to dairy but he does fine with this protein powder.

good to know – I’m looking for new brands to try when my current supply runs low (getting there!) πŸ˜€

it was a PERFECT day… I am so thankful we are not in a heat wave like many. I’d be getting wrinkly in the pool all day long! πŸ˜€

I was going to say, I don’t do fitblog but always see people on it and thought it was pretty late at night. But then I remembered that pesky three hour time different between us-doh! Very cool thing to do though and great way to get moving. and hooray for Basil pics!

yay Basil! πŸ˜€ yep, I’m lucky because fitblog is at 6pm for me! I doubt I’d do it very often if it was later. and right now during the summer, Portland stays light until NINE PM !! so it’s still a great time to get outdoors at 7-7:30. πŸ˜€

I was just talking to someone about protein powder. I’ve NEVER used it in my life, but I think I’d like to try some since I’m working out a bit more these days. I’ve heard good things about Sunwarrior and Vega – what do you recommend?

what I always recommend is buying several brands in a SINGLE packet and find what you like. I personally love vega (all flavors) and … honestly? sun warrior protein is overrated in my opinion. I like the chocolate okay, but the vanilla tastes VERY artificial to me. I love the sun warrior greens (minty!) but that’s not protein. I could never use protein as a meal replacement, but as workout recovery it is excellent!

• says

That is what I’m going to do! Pick up some single serving packets. I really want one that will go good in my GF oats for breakfast. Thanks for the good advice, friend!

Love the outdoor pics of your area and also the camera work on the smoothie w/ the bloobs in the background..nice!

I have tried tons of prot powders and go back to vegan Sun Warrior in chocolate but honestly have moved away from them for the most part. They’re fine but I dunno, I just don’t reach for them as much anymore if that makes sense.

thanks, Averie! gotta stay creative with the camera work πŸ˜‰

I like the sun warrior chocolate – the vanilla is EW to me! I totally understand – I have never been able to use protein as a MEAL, but as a second meal? yes! a snack or a recovery after workout, yes πŸ˜€

Oh, summertime. I love the shades of green!

I keep going back to Greens Plus whey protein—vanilla or chocolate—because protein powders are so expensive that I don’t like risking that I might not like a new kind (I’m thinking of The Great Vega Disaster of 2010)… but I also liked the ones you sent me in February. And I had half a mind to pack protein powder with me coming to Brazil… and then didn’t. Oh, deepest regret! At least I can live vicariously through you!

I’m going to have to look at greens plus – sounds good to me, right now I usually mix protein + greens from 2 different sources. it’s still a weird thing for me to wrap my mind around, that you are somewhere without access to everything. (for the 27th time today, I feel lucky). πŸ˜€

• says

Yum. They do a vegan one, too… and we went to a mega-sports store the other day (imagine Costco with *just* sports equipment), but I didn’t recognise any of the brands, I don’t know what *any* of the words on the package meant—scary!—and like I said: I didn’t want to sell my THIRD kidney to buy some.

If you try the Greens Plus vegan, let me know how you like it, and what it tastes like to you. I’d be less nervous to try something new with one trusted vouching!

I will look into it and report back! are they (who is THEY?) strict about mailing protein powder?? πŸ˜€

Your dog is such a cutie! I’ve been making spinach smoothies but I’m kind of tired of them. Picking up a big box of blueberries Friday. Think I’ll try this shake instead of my smoothie.

only so much spinach you can do, right? I love it, but every now and then have to Mix It Up. I wasn’t wanting spinach last night, and Jason came home with a big box of fresh blueberries the other day! soon we will have our own, I look in our garden daily now… the berries are there but still green! πŸ˜€

Gimme that protein shake. NOW. πŸ˜€

Seeing pictures of Basil always makes my day. He just has the cutest little face! And his ears, eyes, and nose are so pretty! :)

I also love your garden. It looks like a wonderful park! Would you take me to a walk there one day? (Be careful! I might actually visit you in reality, one day! ;))

oh, Kath!! I *KNOW* we will meet one day. I KNOW it. πŸ˜€ and yes, even if you are here and we do not live here anymore (hmm…) we can definitely come here to walk! :)

Basil says thank you. ARROOO. *wag wag* isn’t he the cutest?? XO

I’m trying to see where you guys live by that garden photo! I thought it was over by Multnomah Village but now I’m baffled!

That shake looks goooood. :)

Awwww, Basil!!!! Love him! I love their little eyebrows the most πŸ˜‰ When are we going to plan a meet up and I can bring Hudson??

Hmm protein… I do love Vega in the Vanilla Chia. Right now I rotate between Vega, Hemp and my Vi-Shape {weight managment lactose free whey shakes. LOL, I’m in the company, so I have been testing!} and I love the variety!

Your shakes look amazing!

xxoo

they DO have expressive eyebrows! and Basil and Hudson (and you and I!!) will have SO much fun – we just need to do it! πŸ˜€

I saw you talk about Vi-Shape recently – tell me more??

slurp! We’ve been buying so many blueberries lately – need to make a smoothie. Nice walk and walking companion. :) For protein powder we usually use Sun Warrior and right now it’s the plain flavor so we can flavor it up! But we get vanilla too or hemp protein powder. Never tried Vega.

we have SIX blueberry bushes – they have a lot of berries this year, just wait wait waiting for them to turn blue! πŸ˜€ I’ve never seen PLAIN sunwarrior! I may actually like that one!

I make something similar with my Vega Vanilla Protein powder, best stuff ever!
    I just love your photos of the shake, so beautiful and elegant!

Shake looks great! We find it when we use blueberries or any berry in our green smoothies we tend to throw in a protein powder to help with taste and texture. When we use other fruit we don’t usually add in the protein powder but berries for some reason just need it πŸ˜‰ We love VEGA!

it’s funny, I’m the same way!! sometimes I’ll add protein to other fruit smoothies, but ALWAYS with blueberries – I wonder why that is?? πŸ˜€

I like the hemp protein – and hemp seeds too. I add maca and cinnamon to many of my smoothies, yours sounds tasty!

14. Arli says

this looks so good, and the photo is very good too, I found you via tastespotting which I love too. your site is enjoyable, thanks you so much!

hi Jim – the almond milks I regularly use (Silk or Blue Diamond brands…) both have 1 gram protein. Almond is my favorite milk!