Chocolate Mint Chickpea Cookies

in baking, Breakfast, Dessert, Gluten Free, recipes, Vegan

Chocolate Mint Chickpea Cookies

My current obsession? Those garbanzo cookie balls. Yes, still. What has been fun is seeing how many others love them too – how have I never seen these when people have been making them all along?

I’m always late to the party. I have brought others along to the party since, though. I’ve also thought up some pretty interesting flavor combinations. I have a lot to catch you all up on.

For my latest flavor, I looked for mint chocolate chips, and could not find any that were vegan, or without dairy. I do have readily available fresh mint, however.

fresh mint & chocolate chickpea cookie balls

1 can chickpeas, rinsed and peeled
2/3 cup peanut butter
1 tablespoon flour (I used peanut flour!)
8 – 10 drops NuNaturals Vanilla Stevia
water as needed
1 dark chocolate bar, chopped (or 1 cup chocolate chips)
4-5 fresh mint leaves, chopped or ripped

In food processor or blender, puree chickpeas. Add peanut butter, flour and stevia, blend. It should form a ball of dough, if it is still crumbly, add a tiny amount of water, a teaspoon at a time. Process – it should quickly form a dough ball.

Stirring by hand, add chocolate and mint. Form into 1-inch balls. Bake at 350 for 10-12 minutes.

You have to eat one warm from the oven. Melty chocolatey minty delicious.

The original chocolate chip flavor tastes fabulous as is. The mint flavor adds a layer of freshness that any mint-chocolate fan will love. The nutritional stats aren’t too shabby either (for two cookies). Look at that fiber!

Mint Chocolate Chickpea Cookies

Happy Wednesday!

1 Victoria (District Chocoholic) June 22, 2011 at 3:49 pm

I was excited enough to see another chickpea cookie recipe. And then you throw in FRESH MINT and I can’t think about anything else.

2 spabettie June 22, 2011 at 4:01 pm

I know it. I had to make them immediately. and then that led to OTHER ideas… #HeadExplode

3 Joanne June 22, 2011 at 3:52 pm

Wow, this is so interesting. I have never heard of someone making a chickpea cookie!!!

4 spabettie June 22, 2011 at 4:02 pm

Hi Joanne! they are really good! “sweet” enough for a dessert, and healthy enough for a snack. or breakfast. :D

5 Heather (Where's the Beach) June 22, 2011 at 4:19 pm

You are officially my new best friend. First off, I’ve been making these suckers – even made them with chocolate chips (vegan) for friends. While I don’t care much for chocolate, love mint with chocolate. And I like the use of the peanut flour too. I don’t have any, but I do have PB2. I’ve been using the rice flour. I have thought about adding in a tiny bit of unsweetened applesauce perhaps to make them more moist. Have you tried anything like that yet?

6 spabettie June 22, 2011 at 4:25 pm

I’ve not used applesauce, but I did make a batch with coconut butter instead of peanut (you’ll see… soon…) but I bet applesauce would be good too – probably not much. ooh, see what happens to me? now I’m thinking applesauce, apple pieces, cinnamon… an “apple pie chickpea cookie” !! :D

7 Heather (Where's the Beach) June 22, 2011 at 4:27 pm

YES – that’s EXACTLY what I was thinking too. How freaking yummy would that be???? I was also thinking of a pumpkin pie flavor too!

8 spabettie June 22, 2011 at 4:30 pm

hee – YES!! pumpkin is on my list, although I have not tried yet… looks like you are as obsessed as me!! :) it’s crazy, they taste SO good and I just cannot stop thinking about different flavors…

9 Heather (Where's the Beach) June 22, 2011 at 4:32 pm

They’re so easy to throw together too so that just makes it easier to want to “mess” with them and come up with new ideas. I gotta stop sharing my ideas with you now LOL. Just kidding. I love it that we’re thinking in the same direction.

10 Sarena (The Non-Dairy Queen) June 24, 2011 at 6:02 am

First off, these look amazing! Second, I was thinking about using peanut flour in these too. So, I should add a little applesauce too? I also want to add dates or figs! I miss the kitchen right now. I’m on it this weekend. I need to try these!

11 spabettie June 24, 2011 at 11:46 am

glad to hear you are getting back in the kitchen this weekend, Sarena (it probably misses you too!). hope it’s a great weekend, thinking of you! XO

12 Lisa June 22, 2011 at 4:24 pm

Yum! I only did the chickpea dessert-y thing once…and I didn’t peel them, so it was…kind of weird. These look so good–I suppose I can give chickpeas for dessert one more chance (and take the time to peel them!).

Thanks for sharing :)

13 spabettie June 22, 2011 at 4:27 pm

I think peeling makes a difference (and is calming to me…) but you could just be one that prefers no chickpeas. ;) was it something baked like this, or a dessert hummus? I haven’t tried that yet…

14 Heidi @ Food Doodles June 22, 2011 at 4:26 pm

Yum :) I’m actually super interested in these even though I had a bad experience with beans in desserts and I’m scared of them now, haha. These do look good and I love the fresh mint. I actually just used some mint in banana soft serve the other day. It’s amazing how good and fresh it tastes :D

15 spabettie June 22, 2011 at 4:29 pm

hi Heidi! I love fresh mint… adding to banana soft serve is genius! :D what was the bad experience, was it a black bean brownie? I’ve heard so many people not liking those, although I make mine with a chocolate topping (melted chocolate) and then store them in the fridge so they are cold… so good.

16 Heidi @ Food Doodles June 22, 2011 at 5:06 pm

It was a black bean brownie :( I’ve heard of a lot of people not liking them too so maybe I’ll have to give these a try. My kids even ate the black bean brownies so I’m sure these wont go to waste even if I don’t like them :)

17 spabettie June 22, 2011 at 5:28 pm

thought so… I’ve heard that a lot (although I like them!) :D these, though – MANY people have made them, and I have fed them to many – everyone likes them! this makes a small batch – and if you don’t like them the kids probably still will! :D

18 Courtney @ The Granola Chronicles June 22, 2011 at 4:37 pm

Holy deliciousness! These look truly delectable. :)

19 spabettie June 22, 2011 at 4:41 pm

:D thank you, Courtney!!

20 Matt @ The Athlete's Plate June 22, 2011 at 4:49 pm

These look amazing.

21 spabettie June 22, 2011 at 5:29 pm

thanks, Matt! I’m kind of obsessed. ;)

22 Maryea {Happy Healthy Mama} June 22, 2011 at 5:13 pm

Oh the fresh mint is a perfect addition!

23 spabettie June 22, 2011 at 5:27 pm

Hi Maryea! I really had no idea how the fresh mint would work in baking, but it’s lovely! :D

24 Averie @ Love Veggies and Yoga June 22, 2011 at 5:13 pm

Wow, another beanie dessert creation that looks so good and tempting! And with mint..nice touch!

And the photos…beautiful!!! You made me want to make them! :)

25 spabettie June 22, 2011 at 5:26 pm

yep. perhaps you need to try Averie… ;) if not this flavor, I bet I have a couple coming up that might get ya! :D

26 lindsay June 22, 2011 at 5:15 pm

too cool! i just made these in the form of healthy bites and put in on the blog. I swear, we think alike. Love your flavor!
;)

27 spabettie June 22, 2011 at 5:25 pm

we do think alike… funny how that happens! these were made last week and I’ve been living, I’ve not posted in days. funny. :D

28 Allie @ PickyEatingRD June 22, 2011 at 5:41 pm

If you are late to the party.. then I am… REALLY late… Holy whoa these look great! I want to try these with almond butter.

29 spabettie June 22, 2011 at 5:55 pm

hi Allie – welcome to the party! ;) I made them with Barney Butter (my favorite almond butter…) and they were GOOD!

30 Liz (Little Bitty Bakes) June 22, 2011 at 7:17 pm

Wow – fresh mint right in the cookies, that’s great! I guess I need to hop aboard the garbanzo bean cookie train?

31 spabettie June 22, 2011 at 9:00 pm

I really think you need to, Liz:D

32 Stephanie @ extremebalance.net/blog June 22, 2011 at 8:39 pm

OH MY GOD. DO THEY *HAVE* PB IN BRAZIL?!?! I must find out, because now, I MUST have these. :) I’m in a serious PB and chocolate phase, and these look just right!

33 spabettie June 22, 2011 at 8:59 pm

I sure hope there is some pb in Brazil for you… or at least nuts and a way for you to make some… BRAZIL nuts! haaaa XXO

34 Stephanie @ extremebalance.net/blog June 22, 2011 at 9:19 pm

thank you! Tip your waitress! She’s here all week! Try the veal! ;)

35 spabettie June 22, 2011 at 9:47 pm

I’m givin’ ya pearls, here. ;)

(very happy you liked…)

36 sophia June 22, 2011 at 8:44 pm

I thought the mint was spinach just by first glance of the pic! That would be weird with chocolate…hahah!

37 spabettie June 22, 2011 at 8:58 pm

oh, yes, but something I just might do… ;)

38 branny June 23, 2011 at 4:13 am

Yum. I’ve made and loved chickpea chocolate chip cookies but this looks like a fun new treat.

39 spabettie June 23, 2011 at 3:20 pm

thanks, Branny! they’re good with the mint!

40 Cathy@What Would Cathy Eat? June 23, 2011 at 4:23 am

OK, I’m officially intrigued!

41 spabettie June 23, 2011 at 3:18 pm

thanks, Cathy!! they are REALLY good… and so quick, you really should give them a try!

42 Stephanie@MyThornsHaveRoses June 23, 2011 at 5:53 am

And now I know what I can do with the massive overgrowth of mint we have this year. :)

43 spabettie June 23, 2011 at 3:18 pm

exactly!! :D ours grows in spite of my (lack of!!) gardening skills…

44 brandi June 23, 2011 at 7:13 am

I love, love, LOVE fresh mint! This looks like such a fun recipe to use it in, too.

45 spabettie June 23, 2011 at 3:14 pm

I love fresh mint too, Brandi. we have a ton of it, when I walk by I just grab a leaf to chew on… :D

46 Beth June 23, 2011 at 7:40 am

Beans and chocolate are WHERE ITS AT! Adding mint was just genius!

47 spabettie June 23, 2011 at 3:14 pm

thanks, Beth!! I still can’t get past these little buggers, I LOVE them!! :D

48 Krista {Budget Gourmet Mom} June 23, 2011 at 8:52 am

I have been trying to experiment with more vegan recipes and I love that you used chickpeas to make cookies! A friend and I were scheming just the other day about using beans in dessert so I am so excited to start experimenting!

49 spabettie June 23, 2011 at 3:11 pm

hi Krista! I’m glad you found these then, I think you’ll really like them! I’ve made them with chickpeas AND with white (or ‘great northern’) beans, both are tasty!

50 Jenn L @ Peas and Crayons June 23, 2011 at 9:01 am

ahhhh how fun! I love this variation on Christins balls

ummm…. did I just say that!? oh yes. anyways — this looks soooo good! mint is a perfect addition my creative friend! mwah!

51 spabettie June 23, 2011 at 3:10 pm

hee! oh, you just wait… this is a pretty TAME recipe in relation to some flavors I’ve come up with… I LOVE these things!

52 eva @5fruitsNveggies June 23, 2011 at 9:30 am

ok i just added this recipe to my que! i’ve been obsessed with averie’s cookie dough balls–now ready to try some with garbanzo beans…

53 spabettie June 23, 2011 at 3:10 pm

hee – it’s funny you mention Averie… she and I have talked about these SEVERAL times, she keeps saying they look good but she is scared to try them in case they taste bad, you know? :D her desserts are so fabulous and tasty so I understand her apprehension, but YUUUUM, these are good too… you’ll have to tell her after you make them! ;)

54 eva @5fruitsNveggies June 23, 2011 at 7:17 pm

i will definitely let averie know…..and are you the one who did not like the black bean brownies?….i like them, so i know chickpea dough balls can’t be that far off with texture or flavor

55 spabettie June 23, 2011 at 8:39 pm

hee – we will get Averie to try these yet! :) no, I actually like the black bean brownies… mine don’t taste “beany” at all, just rich and chocolately! :D

56 eva @5fruitsNveggies June 23, 2011 at 9:32 am

i was also going to ask about having to peel those chickpeas-but i just read your other comment about doing so…ummm, maybe i’ll get my kids involved in this project!

57 spabettie June 23, 2011 at 3:06 pm

hi Eva!! yes, in my last post about them –> garbanzo cookie balls, I talked about peeling them… if you just squeeze the chickpea it kinda pops out of it’s skin. kinda fun, the kids should love it!!

58 Val June 23, 2011 at 9:47 am

DANG Kris!! Breakfasts of Champions!!

59 spabettie June 23, 2011 at 3:05 pm

yep. ate one with breakfast just this morning!

60 Kath (My Funny Little Life) June 23, 2011 at 1:11 pm

Aww. What a wonderful combination of flavors – like After Eight! :D

61 spabettie June 23, 2011 at 3:04 pm

hee – After Eight! love it.

62 Heather @ girlyeverafter June 23, 2011 at 1:36 pm

I love bite sized cookie balls! So cute and so yummy!

63 spabettie June 23, 2011 at 3:01 pm

yes, bite sized is fun, right? and you can eat more of them… ;)

64 Susan (Oliepants) June 23, 2011 at 2:11 pm

I have never seen such a delicious idea until you! I love the use of fresh mint leaves. My MIL has a huge plant and I will have to be taking some for this reason alone.

65 spabettie June 23, 2011 at 2:57 pm

yes, we have SO much mint (it grows in spite of my “gardening skills”) ha! they really add an awesome freshness to these cookies – let me know how you like them, Susan!

66 Pure2raw twins June 23, 2011 at 4:09 pm

um, can you ship some our way :) haha look great

67 spabettie June 23, 2011 at 8:39 pm

haa – we could do a swap! ;)

68 dana @ my little celebration June 23, 2011 at 5:31 pm

Genius! I’ll have to give those a try!

69 spabettie June 23, 2011 at 8:40 pm

Dana, DO IT! ;) they’re tasty, and the mint is great too!

70 Leanne @ Healthful Pursuit June 23, 2011 at 5:48 pm

I’ve seen a bunch of cookie recipes made from chickpeas… I’ll have to try it out, sounds deeelicious!

71 spabettie June 23, 2011 at 8:40 pm

hi Leanne! you should try them, they’re really good!

72 Kris @Krazy_Kris June 24, 2011 at 8:38 am

I am SOOOOOO glad to be part of the party – my head is still swirling with the possibilities… next weekend I’m gonna be gettin’ dirty in the kitchen with garbanzo cookie ball goodness! xoxo

73 spabettie June 24, 2011 at 11:45 am

I’m so glad you like these, Kris!! and that’s exactly what happened with me, I have made quite a few variations! stay tuned… ;)

74 Tiff @ Love Sweat and Beers June 24, 2011 at 9:08 am

Neat! I’ve never had real mint with chocolate, only the funky green kind you see in ice cream and Andes mints (funky but delicious, I must add).

75 spabettie June 24, 2011 at 11:43 am

funky but delicious – ha! :) I didn’t know how using real mint would work in baking, but it’s great!

76 Heather @ Get Healthy with Heather June 24, 2011 at 10:53 am

I am making these! They sound awesome and I totally want to see if I can trick my family… See if they notice.

77 spabettie June 24, 2011 at 11:42 am

Hi Heather – can’t wait to hear what your family thinks, let me know how it turns out! :D

78 Becca June 24, 2011 at 11:35 am

These look so delicious! If I wasn’t going to use liquid stevia, what would be the equivalent in raw sugar? Or agave?

Thanks! Can’t wait to try them!

79 spabettie June 24, 2011 at 11:41 am

Hi Becca! raw sugar or agave would be 1 tablespoon – I’d taste the dough to see if it’s sweet enough? I hope you love them – let me know! :D

80 Jennifer (She's a Fit Chick) June 24, 2011 at 12:04 pm

Girl…. if I was in publishing you would have a cookbook!!!

81 spabettie June 24, 2011 at 12:09 pm

AW !! *squee* THANK YOU Jennifer. why can’t you be in publishing? haa… you just made my day!

82 Jessica @ Dairy Free Betty June 24, 2011 at 3:41 pm

Interesting idea!! I’m surprise to see the mint stayed green!! :)

83 Eden June 24, 2011 at 4:16 pm

I’ll be honest (I always am, what makes you think you’re the exception?!), I prefer my chickpeas to be hummus and my super-unhealthy-white-flour to be cookie dough.

but make them look half decent…so you aren’t outlawed in my book yet. Plus, you have a cute dog, thats scores you some major bonus points ;)

84 spabettie June 25, 2011 at 8:23 pm

Basil thanks you, as always. I know, I know… some people give me the eye roll for these. They honestly don’t TASTE healthy. so there’s that. :D

85 Kris | iheartwellness.com June 24, 2011 at 5:28 pm

Are you FREAKING kidding me??? Chickpea balls…you own my heart right now.

Why is everyone using PB?! Dang I got to try it again! I *thought* it was causing breakouts, but clearly that is just stress ;)

xxoo

86 spabettie June 25, 2011 at 8:22 pm

just peanut or all nut butters? I’ve made these with almond butter and sunflower butter, too, and actually coconut butter… all good.

87 Yum Yucky June 24, 2011 at 6:05 pm

Yay! another pair of balls that excite me! Errr, you know what I mean. Now where did I put that Stevia on mine??

88 spabettie June 25, 2011 at 8:21 pm

haa haaaaa… awesome. they ARE pretty exciting, I must say.

89 Emma June 24, 2011 at 6:33 pm

I made them! And I think they turned out pretty decently :) My baking time was wayyy longer and after about 15 minutes they were still pretty smushy and squishy. This is my first vegan recipe, so I’m hoping that this is the way they are supposed to turn out! haha. But the dough tasted great! :)

90 spabettie June 25, 2011 at 8:21 pm

hi Emma! ovens are different is all I can think? mine end up pretty “firm” but not crunchy… no egg or anything, so if they’re still doughy in the middle it’s GOOD, you know? :) glad you liked them!

91 Christin@purplebirdblog June 24, 2011 at 7:19 pm

Love love LOVE these!! I have been craving chocolate mint like nobodies business in this 100+ degree weather… you are my hero! :)

92 spabettie June 25, 2011 at 8:19 pm

oh, my, 100 degrees is too much. *whew* the mint is AWESOME in these! and you? MY hero. :D

how is the new place, you’re all moved in, yes? say braaack brack braaaaack to those chickens for me… XXO!

93 Christin@purplebirdblog June 26, 2011 at 4:42 pm

Something is coming in the night and killing the chickens! They are down to two hens and one rooster, crazy! And they usually leave the carcass in my front yard, awesome… not! I am all moved in, still waiting on internet hence no post in over a week, but hopefully soon! Still crazy busy with unpacking and what not, but looooooving the new place SO much! I miss the blog world! :)

94 spabettie June 27, 2011 at 6:24 pm

oh, no!! poor chickens.

I’m happy you are loving your new place!! the blog world misses YOU, my dear!

95 miri leigh June 25, 2011 at 10:55 am

These look great. What a great combination! And….healthy!

96 spabettie June 25, 2011 at 8:16 pm

thanks, Miri! yes… I have been known to eat them with breakfast. ;)

97 Claire @ Un Bello Aperitivo June 25, 2011 at 11:58 am

Wow, I never thought to combine all those flavors! I just had a hankerin’ for chocolate and mint the other day…

98 spabettie June 25, 2011 at 8:16 pm

hi Claire! I didn’t know how the fresh mint would fare in baking, but it turned out great! I love the freshness it brings.

99 Tracy @ Commit To Fit June 26, 2011 at 7:33 am

I have used garbonzo flour, but am still a little weary of using the beans in baking. However, these looks so yummy, I may have to give it a try :)

100 Christine (Merf) June 26, 2011 at 9:54 am

Those look really interesting! I was so hoping you’d say they could be made with garbanzo flour, since I have a bag of it and have NO IDEA what to do with it.

101 spabettie June 27, 2011 at 6:35 pm

Christine, I bet you could use garbanzo flour… but probably not a straight on substitution – you’d have to add a binder like an egg or applesauce. what did you get the flour for? you could also make socca pancakes with it!

102 Monocot June 27, 2011 at 9:24 am

Is there any thing I could use instead of that Vanilla Stevia stuff? I can’t get that without ordering it online.
Could I could french Vanilla Sugar Free Simple Syrup instead?

103 spabettie June 27, 2011 at 6:16 pm

that simple syrup sounds great – I’m sure you could use it. since there are no eggs in this recipe, I would go ahead and add a small amount of your sweetener, then taste the dough. add more as needed :)

104 Monique June 27, 2011 at 10:03 am

What?! Chocolate AND garbanzos?!? Now you have my interest…. :)

105 spabettie June 27, 2011 at 6:14 pm

exactly!! :)

106 J3nn (Jenn's Menu and Lifestyle Blog) June 27, 2011 at 9:28 pm

I love that you used fresh mint in these! I haven’t used fresh mint for anything other than mojitos! haha These sound delish. :)

107 spabettie June 27, 2011 at 9:59 pm

J3nn, the mojito sounds great right now! they always make me think of summer. and the mint in these cookies… Mmm! :)

108 Natalie @Will Jog For Food June 28, 2011 at 4:54 am

WOW, those look awesome! Mint chocolate is my all time fav classic combo.

109 Meg June 29, 2011 at 5:01 am

I was SO excited when I saw your recipe on Glamour :D

110 Kiran @ KiranTarun.com June 29, 2011 at 5:38 pm

OMG! These looks ridiculously delicious :D

111 katie June 30, 2011 at 10:21 am

these look DAMN amazing!!! How creative!!!!

Hope you are well love and happy belated birthday to your man! I am sure he LOVED those cupcakes!!!

Congrats too on the website thing!!

xoxo <3

112 callie (rawxy) July 1, 2011 at 4:04 am

Freaking brilliant! I’ve never seen anything quite like it and I can’t wait to give this a try – and, I have chocolate mint growing on my porch, which i think will be perfect in these!

113 spabettie July 1, 2011 at 2:20 pm

hi Callie! I like “freaking brilliant” – I’ll definitely take that compliment! :D we have mint on our porch too – do you ever walk by and grab a leaf to chew on? ;)

114 lynn @ the actor's diet July 3, 2011 at 11:46 pm

i want! these sound amazing.

115 spabettie July 4, 2011 at 5:48 pm

thank you!! they are SO easy to make…

116 Jen July 6, 2011 at 2:02 pm

How many does this make? I’m thinking of having my high school class make these as a part of a unit on healthy substitutions, as the school has implemented a new nutrition policy making almost all desserts out of the question. Thanks!

117 spabettie July 6, 2011 at 2:07 pm

hi Jen! this recipe makes about 15-16, depending on the size of the ball (I usually make them about an inch). depending on class size, you could make a couple batches or double it. ENJOY! I’m happy to hear you may use this, let me know how it goes!

118 Anna September 12, 2011 at 1:34 am

I made the “plain” ones, can’t wait to try these, I have ALLOT of mint in my yard!! :)

119 Emmy September 18, 2011 at 3:32 pm

these sound pretty good – I am intrigued.

120 natalia October 10, 2011 at 6:09 am

I made these for an event over the weekend, everyone loved them! this will be a permanent addition to my meal basics and party contributions, as they are extremely tasty for being so easy! we love them and I love your blog,

121 Kelsey October 31, 2011 at 9:33 pm

I came here to tell you I made these and LOVE them!!! and I was distracted by the chai pumpkin milkshake. Now I am making pumpkin ice cream. I JUST bought the nog yesterday!!! I must have known I’d need it. :)

122 spabettie November 1, 2011 at 8:49 am

indeed – better than finding the recipe and not having it! ENJOY!

123 GP February 3, 2012 at 6:44 pm

these are very good, I make them today. tomato basil I will make tomorrow, thank you!!

124 spabettie February 6, 2012 at 3:46 pm

so happy you like them – hope you like the savory as well!

125 Camille February 6, 2012 at 3:55 pm

my kids and I made these today, they love them! thank you for giving me a healthy cookie my kids actually want to eat!

126 GREG February 8, 2012 at 3:56 am

looks good!

127 Nick March 9, 2012 at 11:25 pm

we made another double batch of these this morning, just had to tell you it’s our favorite around here!

128 Arman March 22, 2012 at 12:19 am

lovely cookie here, a must try.

129 spabettie June 22, 2011 at 4:35 pm

haa – I know. so easy. okay, you better make that apple pie one soon;) XXO!