Chocolate Mint Chickpea Cookies

Chocolate Mint Chickpea Cookies

My current obsession? Those garbanzo cookie balls. Yes, still. What has been fun is seeing how many others love them too – how have I never seen these when people have been making them all along?

I’m always late to the party. I have brought others along to the party since, though. I’ve also thought up some pretty interesting flavor combinations. I have a lot to catch you all up on.

For my latest flavor,Β I looked for mint chocolate chips, and could not find any that were vegan, or without dairy. I do have readily available fresh mint, however.

fresh mint & chocolate chickpea cookie balls

1 can chickpeas, rinsed and peeled
2/3 cup peanut butter
1 tablespoon flour (I used peanut flour!)
8 – 10 drops NuNaturals Vanilla Stevia
water as needed
1 dark chocolate bar, chopped (or 1 cup chocolate chips)
4-5 fresh mint leaves, chopped or ripped

In food processor or blender, puree chickpeas. Add peanut butter, flour and stevia, blend. It should form a ball of dough, if it is still crumbly, add a tiny amount of water, a teaspoon at a time. Process – it should quickly form a dough ball.

Stirring by hand, add chocolate and mint. Form into 1-inch balls. Bake at 350 for 10-12 minutes.

You have to eat one warm from the oven. Melty chocolatey minty delicious.

The original chocolate chip flavor tastes fabulous as is. The mint flavor adds a layer of freshness that any mint-chocolate fan will love. The nutritional stats aren’t too shabby either (for two cookies). Look at that fiber!

Mint Chocolate Chickpea Cookies

Happy Wednesday!

Hi Joanne! they are really good! “sweet” enough for a dessert, and healthy enough for a snack. or breakfast. πŸ˜€

You are officially my new best friend. First off, I’ve been making these suckers – even made them with chocolate chips (vegan) for friends. While I don’t care much for chocolate, love mint with chocolate. And I like the use of the peanut flour too. I don’t have any, but I do have PB2. I’ve been using the rice flour. I have thought about adding in a tiny bit of unsweetened applesauce perhaps to make them more moist. Have you tried anything like that yet?

I’ve not used applesauce, but I did make a batch with coconut butter instead of peanut (you’ll see… soon…) but I bet applesauce would be good too – probably not much. ooh, see what happens to me? now I’m thinking applesauce, apple pieces, cinnamon… an “apple pie chickpea cookie” !! πŸ˜€

hee – YES!! pumpkin is on my list, although I have not tried yet… looks like you are as obsessed as me!! :) it’s crazy, they taste SO good and I just cannot stop thinking about different flavors…

• says

They’re so easy to throw together too so that just makes it easier to want to “mess” with them and come up with new ideas. I gotta stop sharing my ideas with you now LOL. Just kidding. I love it that we’re thinking in the same direction.

haa – I know. so easy. okay, you better make that apple pie one soon… πŸ˜‰ XXO!

• says

First off, these look amazing! Second, I was thinking about using peanut flour in these too. So, I should add a little applesauce too? I also want to add dates or figs! I miss the kitchen right now. I’m on it this weekend. I need to try these!

glad to hear you are getting back in the kitchen this weekend, Sarena (it probably misses you too!). hope it’s a great weekend, thinking of you! XO

Yum! I only did the chickpea dessert-y thing once…and I didn’t peel them, so it was…kind of weird. These look so good–I suppose I can give chickpeas for dessert one more chance (and take the time to peel them!).

Thanks for sharing :)

I think peeling makes a difference (and is calming to me…) but you could just be one that prefers no chickpeas. πŸ˜‰ was it something baked like this, or a dessert hummus? I haven’t tried that yet…

Yum :) I’m actually super interested in these even though I had a bad experience with beans in desserts and I’m scared of them now, haha. These do look good and I love the fresh mint. I actually just used some mint in banana soft serve the other day. It’s amazing how good and fresh it tastes πŸ˜€

hi Heidi! I love fresh mint… adding to banana soft serve is genius! πŸ˜€ what was the bad experience, was it a black bean brownie? I’ve heard so many people not liking those, although I make mine with a chocolate topping (melted chocolate) and then store them in the fridge so they are cold… so good.

• says

It was a black bean brownie :( I’ve heard of a lot of people not liking them too so maybe I’ll have to give these a try. My kids even ate the black bean brownies so I’m sure these wont go to waste even if I don’t like them :)

thought so… I’ve heard that a lot (although I like them!) πŸ˜€ these, though – MANY people have made them, and I have fed them to many – everyone likes them! this makes a small batch – and if you don’t like them the kids probably still will! πŸ˜€

Hi Maryea! I really had no idea how the fresh mint would work in baking, but it’s lovely! πŸ˜€

yep. perhaps you need to try Averie… πŸ˜‰ if not this flavor, I bet I have a couple coming up that might get ya! πŸ˜€

we do think alike… funny how that happens! these were made last week and I’ve been living, I’ve not posted in days. funny. πŸ˜€

hi Allie – welcome to the party! πŸ˜‰ I made them with Barney Butter (my favorite almond butter…) and they were GOOD!

I love fresh mint too, Brandi. we have a ton of it, when I walk by I just grab a leaf to chew on… πŸ˜€

I have been trying to experiment with more vegan recipes and I love that you used chickpeas to make cookies! A friend and I were scheming just the other day about using beans in dessert so I am so excited to start experimenting!

hi Krista! I’m glad you found these then, I think you’ll really like them! I’ve made them with chickpeas AND with white (or ‘great northern’) beans, both are tasty!

hee! oh, you just wait… this is a pretty TAME recipe in relation to some flavors I’ve come up with… I LOVE these things!

5. eva @5fruitsNveggies says

ok i just added this recipe to my que! i’ve been obsessed with averie’s cookie dough balls–now ready to try some with garbanzo beans…

hee – it’s funny you mention Averie… she and I have talked about these SEVERAL times, she keeps saying they look good but she is scared to try them in case they taste bad, you know? πŸ˜€ her desserts are so fabulous and tasty so I understand her apprehension, but YUUUUM, these are good too… you’ll have to tell her after you make them! πŸ˜‰

• eva @5fruitsNveggies says

i will definitely let averie know…..and are you the one who did not like the black bean brownies?….i like them, so i know chickpea dough balls can’t be that far off with texture or flavor

hee – we will get Averie to try these yet! :) no, I actually like the black bean brownies… mine don’t taste “beany” at all, just rich and chocolately! πŸ˜€

6. eva @5fruitsNveggies says

i was also going to ask about having to peel those chickpeas-but i just read your other comment about doing so…ummm, maybe i’ll get my kids involved in this project!

hi Eva!! yes, in my last post about them –> garbanzo cookie balls, I talked about peeling them… if you just squeeze the chickpea it kinda pops out of it’s skin. kinda fun, the kids should love it!!

yes, we have SO much mint (it grows in spite of my “gardening skills”) ha! they really add an awesome freshness to these cookies – let me know how you like them, Susan!

I am SOOOOOO glad to be part of the party – my head is still swirling with the possibilities… next weekend I’m gonna be gettin’ dirty in the kitchen with garbanzo cookie ball goodness! xoxo

I’m so glad you like these, Kris!! and that’s exactly what happened with me, I have made quite a few variations! stay tuned… πŸ˜‰

funky but delicious – ha! :) I didn’t know how using real mint would work in baking, but it’s great!

8. Becca says

These look so delicious! If I wasn’t going to use liquid stevia, what would be the equivalent in raw sugar? Or agave?

Thanks! Can’t wait to try them!

Hi Becca! raw sugar or agave would be 1 tablespoon – I’d taste the dough to see if it’s sweet enough? I hope you love them – let me know! πŸ˜€

I’ll be honest (I always am, what makes you think you’re the exception?!), I prefer my chickpeas to be hummus and my super-unhealthy-white-flour to be cookie dough.

but make them look half decent…so you aren’t outlawed in my book yet. Plus, you have a cute dog, thats scores you some major bonus points πŸ˜‰

Basil thanks you, as always. I know, I know… some people give me the eye roll for these. They honestly don’t TASTE healthy. so there’s that. πŸ˜€

Are you FREAKING kidding me??? Chickpea balls…you own my heart right now.

Why is everyone using PB?! Dang I got to try it again! I *thought* it was causing breakouts, but clearly that is just stress πŸ˜‰

just peanut or all nut butters? I’ve made these with almond butter and sunflower butter, too, and actually coconut butter… all good.

11. Emma says

I made them! And I think they turned out pretty decently :) My baking time was wayyy longer and after about 15 minutes they were still pretty smushy and squishy. This is my first vegan recipe, so I’m hoping that this is the way they are supposed to turn out! haha. But the dough tasted great! :)

hi Emma! ovens are different is all I can think? mine end up pretty “firm” but not crunchy… no egg or anything, so if they’re still doughy in the middle it’s GOOD, you know? :) glad you liked them!

oh, my, 100 degrees is too much. *whew* the mint is AWESOME in these! and you? MY hero. πŸ˜€

how is the new place, you’re all moved in, yes? say braaack brack braaaaack to those chickens for me… XXO!

• says

Something is coming in the night and killing the chickens! They are down to two hens and one rooster, crazy! And they usually leave the carcass in my front yard, awesome… not! I am all moved in, still waiting on internet hence no post in over a week, but hopefully soon! Still crazy busy with unpacking and what not, but looooooving the new place SO much! I miss the blog world! :)

oh, no!! poor chickens.

I’m happy you are loving your new place!! the blog world misses YOU, my dear!

hi Claire! I didn’t know how the fresh mint would fare in baking, but it turned out great! I love the freshness it brings.

Christine, I bet you could use garbanzo flour… but probably not a straight on substitution – you’d have to add a binder like an egg or applesauce. what did you get the flour for? you could also make socca pancakes with it!

12. Monocot says

Is there any thing I could use instead of that Vanilla Stevia stuff? I can’t get that without ordering it online.
    Could I could french Vanilla Sugar Free Simple Syrup instead?

that simple syrup sounds great – I’m sure you could use it. since there are no eggs in this recipe, I would go ahead and add a small amount of your sweetener, then taste the dough. add more as needed :)

J3nn, the mojito sounds great right now! they always make me think of summer. and the mint in these cookies… Mmm! :)

these look DAMN amazing!!! How creative!!!!

Hope you are well love and happy belated birthday to your man! I am sure he LOVED those cupcakes!!!

Congrats too on the website thing!!

xoxo <3

Freaking brilliant! I’ve never seen anything quite like it and I can’t wait to give this a try – and, I have chocolate mint growing on my porch, which i think will be perfect in these!

hi Callie! I like “freaking brilliant” – I’ll definitely take that compliment! πŸ˜€ we have mint on our porch too – do you ever walk by and grab a leaf to chew on? πŸ˜‰

15. Jen says

How many does this make? I’m thinking of having my high school class make these as a part of a unit on healthy substitutions, as the school has implemented a new nutrition policy making almost all desserts out of the question. Thanks!

hi Jen! this recipe makes about 15-16, depending on the size of the ball (I usually make them about an inch). depending on class size, you could make a couple batches or double it. ENJOY! I’m happy to hear you may use this, let me know how it goes!

16. natalia says

I made these for an event over the weekend, everyone loved them! this will be a permanent addition to my meal basics and party contributions, as they are extremely tasty for being so easy! we love them and I love your blog,

17. Kelsey says

I came here to tell you I made these and LOVE them!!! and I was distracted by the chai pumpkin milkshake. Now I am making pumpkin ice cream. I JUST bought the nog yesterday!!! I must have known I’d need it. :)

18. Camille says

my kids and I made these today, they love them! thank you for giving me a healthy cookie my kids actually want to eat!