mango and onion quinoa salad

The weather is warm and the fresh summer flavors are here again!

We have already enjoyed this salad a couple times this season, a bright and colorful favorite that is flavorful and filling. My favorite salty marcona almonds with sweet mango and red onion blend perfectly. Each time I make this I am in bliss over the flavors!

Since this is made from many of my favorite ingredients, I wanted to share with one of my favorite bloggers – Kris Beal! She has a brand new makeover on her blog – it looks awesome – and she recently asked me to guest post. I always consider it a compliment to guest post on another blog, and in this case I was very excited to do so!

Kris is super fun – she makes me laugh with her stories, is very wise and inspirational, and a friend I know I could spend all day talking and laughing with.

Head on over to visit Kris and read my guest post!

What flavors make you think of summer?

Comments

SOOOOOO beautiful! Kristina you are so kind and generous – and you ALWAYS make me smile…. Did you know I come over here for a moodbooster? Just trolling and clicking always makes me smile – thanks again! xoxox

I did NOT know that until I read it this morning – that makes me smile big and *wave wave wave* my hands in the air! thank YOU, dear friend! XXO!

Honestly the look is perfect for summer and it’s pretty much as if I can taste the freshness – which again is perfect for a hot day. I could eat this for lunch – no doubt!!

• says

Aren’t the pix amazing? For me the color and flavors are POPPING out of the computer screen! I’ve got all the makings and will give it a whorl – but I’ll leave the photography to dear Kristina πŸ˜€

• says

Love your name LOL I used to call myself the Dairy Queen when I was nursing… uh… a “few” years back. I digress… So nice to meet you! I’ll be trolling and clicking around your blog soon. Thanks!

You know Billy and I love marcona almonds! We ate about 3 pounds last September/October traveling around Italy and Spain. I’d have to 86 the onions (can’t stand them!) but I know I’d enjoy this combo.

Looks so yummy! Love your fun recipes! And speaking of yummy & fun — I adore me some Kris too! I think you both are such treasures ( p.s. I’m often a lurker also πŸ˜‰

Aww, this is soooooooooo pretty! πŸ˜€ And now I need to confess something: I bought a bag of quinoa the other day. Yes, the last time I tried it, I found it terrible, but perhaps I didn’t scrub it enough before cooking? It was so bitter, and if this bitterness was due to my lack of scrubbing, I couldn’t live with the thought I hadn’t given it a second chance. :)

Kath, I hope that is it… generally I put the dry quinoa into my mesh strainer and set it to rinse under the faucet, just letting it run (warm water, then cold) for at least a few minutes. some brands / types may need more? I have heard people actually soak their quinoa for a bit before cooking – perhaps try this? soak for a bit, then also rinse?

I hope that works, quinoa is not meant to be bitter, but can be if not scrubbed enough :)

hope all is great, my friend – Basil wags and wiggles hello!

I love how we both blogged about quinoa-bean salads today! But honestly, that’s such a good base to start from… all that protein. Yum! I like how you added almonds too for a bit of crunch and even more nutrition. Will be making this when the mangoes are back in season!

• says

Oh my! Great minds, eh? I must go check it out – I sooooooo love learning what the “real” cooking experts are doing **I dream someday of getting better in the kitchen**

yes, the almonds are a perfect crunch and great flavor… oh, and that nutrition thing too πŸ˜‰

haa… oh, Jenn, I’m not good at it either! I’ve been eating many mangoes lately, so I am getting better… and this one was a small pit or something, it was easy! :)

thank you, Sayward… this really is one of our favorites, the flavors go well together and yep, those almonds… πŸ˜€

Happy Friday to you all!

• says

I was at Whole Foods last weekend and saw Marcona almond *butter* for the first time. Have you seen that stuff? I can’t even imagine the amazingness . . .

• says

DOn’t know the brand but there was only one. Downtown WF, in with the other nut butters. Let me know if you get it and how you like it!

didn’t have time to get there today… I will as soon as I can, and will report back!! πŸ˜€ have a great weekend!

7. Donna says

now this is a salad I can get on board with – I bet it DOES taste like summer!! thanks for a recipe, I can’t wait to make this.

I know, this is generally a summer salad so I can make it fresh, but it is still SO good even with the frozen, right? I do that in the winter too… happy you like it!