a Thomas Keller garden

I have talked a few times about how much we like Thomas Keller’s restaurants.

One aspect I really love about Keller’s California properties are their gorgeous showcase gardens. Walking through them is an event in itself, seeing where the menu’s food comes from and appreciating Keller’s passion for sustainability.

The French Laundry Garden is the most famous, located across the street from the restaurant. TFL garden is three acres, and supplies Keller’s three restaurants in the area with just-picked produce. Some of the ingredients in our Ad Hoc dinner were in TFL garden that morning.

Much smaller but equally beautiful, the Ad Hoc Garden sits directly behind the restaurant. After our dinner we enjoyed a warm early evening garden walk.

We walked through rows of vegetables.

Beautiful lettuces!

“Bright Lights” swiss chard – Beta Vulgaris.

Strawberries.

An abundance of mint.

Grapes on the vine…

Beautiful, fresh and green!

Among the veggies we found things vibrant and bright:

The first roses Jason ever gave me were yellow

Later there were red ones

Pinks

and purples

all vibrant and bright.

Walking out of the garden, I spotted one of my favorite trees:

Sustainable meets function meets artistic beauty. A visual feast equal to the delectable feast inside…

Comments

Averie I am ALWAYS jealous of your photos of the flowers and (especially!) palm trees… I love our seasons here, but having a year round garden would be SO WONDERFUL!! another reason to eventually move to Napa… πŸ˜‰ hope your Sunday is going great!

it really was… we had a nice dinner and then just walked around and sat on the benches a while… perfect ending to our Ad Hoc experience!

sustainable meets function is right~!!! this is so epic – more of a reason I need to move there!!!!! I wish the USMC saw it my way πŸ˜‰ They gave our Calli slot to a pilot who’s practically failing out. bitter wife, yes I am! haha

gorgeous photos. you know i’ll be bugging you for camera advice this holiday season when I finally ask for my first ever upgrade! <3 mwah!

gaah – sorry about that, I would love to have you closer and on this coast! :) maybe someday! oooh, I look forward to your upgrade… it’s so fun learning a new camera! XXO! happy Sunday, my friend!

Wow, these are the most beautiful garden pictures! I especially love the first two pictures :), the roses are so pretty, and there’s so much beauty in the background you can just assume …

Now I want a dslr. πŸ˜€

wouldn’t it be wonderful? I love being able to just walk outside while cooking and grab fresh ingredients…

THANK YOU, Tina! :) your compliment really means a great deal – I have loved getting to know my camera. It also helps when I have such a gorgeous subject like this garden… :) Happy Sunday, my friend!

Thank you, Val! :) I know you’ve been asking for more πŸ˜‰ this was a fun post for me to write!

isn’t it a great idea? you should see the French Laundry Gardens – HUGE! it’s a wonderful thing. we have restaurants here in Portland with chefs that believe in sustainability and using local, and some have their own gardens. I love it!

The garden is AMAZING! Gosh , nature is beautiful! Your photography is beautiful!

AND I loved your comment on my post about not comparing, I love that you keep true and are real : ) I think its so important! Some people can drive themselves crazy , and I agree, I love the blog world, so many amazing people like you , I have become friends with through my blog!

Love you!

Basil I am so glad I got to know too ; ) can’t forget him!!

thank you Katie!! I feel the very same way, there are SO many amazing people to connect with in this community! I’m happy I found your blog recently! XXO and Basil says hello too *wags*

Absolutely gorgeous photos! I love Dutch iris (at least that’s what they look like). And who can resist all those roses and the real food right there for the picking? πŸ˜‰

xo,