a feel-good story.

Happy Saturday! I hope everyone is enjoying a beautiful summer day like I am. I wanted to share a heart warming story my sister sent to me this week.

We don’t know this person, but snopes verified as true.

It is not known who replied, but there is a beautiful soul working in the dead letter office of the US postal service.

Our 14 year old dog, Abbey, died last month. The day after she died, my 4 year old daughter Meredith was crying and talking about how much she missed Abbey.. She asked if we could write a letter to God so that when Abbey got to heaven, God would recognize her. I told her that I thought we could so she dictated these words:

Dear God,

Will you please take care of my dog? She died yesterday and is with you in heaven. I miss her very much. I am happy that you let me have her as my dog even though she got sick.
I hope you will play with her.. She likes to play with balls and to swim. I am sending a picture of her so when you see her You will know that she is my dog. I really miss her.

Love, Meredith

We put the letter in an envelope with a picture of Abbey and Meredith and addressed it to God/Heaven. We put our return address on it.. Then Meredith pasted several stamps on the front of the envelope because she said it would take lots of stamps to get the letter all the way to heaven. That afternoon she dropped it into the letter box at the post office. A few days later, she asked if God had gotten the letter yet. I told her that I thought He had.

Yesterday, there was a package wrapped in gold paper on our front porch addressed, ‘To Meredith’ in an unfamiliar hand.. Meredith opened it. Inside was a book by Mr. Rogers called, ‘When a Pet Dies..’ Taped to the inside front cover was the letter we had written to God in its opened envelope. On the opposite page was the picture of Abbey & Meredith and this note:

Dear Meredith,
Abbey arrived safely in heaven.

Having the picture was a big help. I recognized Abbey right away.
Abbey isn’t sick anymore. Her spirit is here with me just like it stays in your heart. Abbey loved being your dog. Since we don’t need our bodies in heaven, I don’t have any pockets to keep your picture in, so I am sending it back to you in this little book for you to keep and have something to remember Abbey by…

Thank you for the beautiful letter and thank your mother for helping you write it and sending it to me. What a wonderful mother you have. I picked her especially for you. I send my blessings every day and remember that I love you very much. By the way, I’m easy to find, I am wherever there is love.

Love, God

1. rebecca says

Awwww :) this is the cutest and sweetest thing ever! My dog, who my family had since I was a month old died last September from stomach cancer, and he too, was 14 years old. His birthday is this Monday and he’ll be 15 which I turned a couple weeks ago! I miss him, like he was my brother and every child needs to experience the wonders and memories a dog can give you. You’re daughter is so cute! I can’t believe how strong she is, its great she knows he’s in a good place! <3

Rebecca, I am SO sorry for your loss – I remember when we lost my first dog, the one my parents had before my brother and I were born! We totally thought of him as a brother. I send you comfort, especially this Monday as you celebrate him!

…and thank you, but this isn’t my story… I’m sharing a story my sister shared with me! :) my only “kids” are the furry kind :) XXO!

• rebecca says

He was a good dog (hahah.. well he was a bad boy when he was little eating stuff up and such, running away..) and i’m just glad he’s in a place where he isn’t suffering anymore. I really want to make a cake the shape of a bone for tomorrow.. <3 we have his ashes, and when he got put down they made four paw prints for us in clay in the shape of a heart!

oh!! you are the second person commenting on this post who had a vet make a paw impression!! that is the sweetest thing. I hope you make that bone cake! ((hugs)) to you, Rebecca!!

• Seth says

How convenient, “we dont need our bodies in heaven so I cant keep your picture”. Why dont I get a gold wrapped package with something in it? Im sure the delivery man knew EXACTLY where to send the letter to. How did the letter even get to “heaven”? If his excuse for not keeping the picture is “we dont need our bodies” (therefore all they need is their “spirits” so in retrospect they cant obtain a material object) then how did he get the paper to write on? How did he get the pencil? (If he wrote in pencil, if not then how did he use a computer and printer?) Someone is doing the Santa Claus tactic!

• Steve says

The child was lied too, so it’s ok to lie I thought that was a commandment not to do that ? The reason don’t matter.

• Ashley says

Really? It’s a sweet story about a little girl who was sad and someone cheered her up. Whether you believe in God or not, you don’t have to be that way. You have some serious issues, man – You and Seth both.

• Jen says

Steve and Seth you are heartless, go crawl back under your rocks! some day if and when you have a child and a beloved pet or grow a heart you will understand, until then keep your bad attitudes to yourselves!!

• Lisa says

Steve and Seth, how could you! It is people like you that make such sweet and kind gestures a rarity. If there were more people who were willing to go out of their way to bring happiness to other people, we would all be living in a much better place, albeit not perfect, but better.

• Cecilia says

Obviously neither of you have had a child nor a childhood pet. When I was 17, I had to experience the loss of my dog and best friend, Lulu, after she lost a rough and horrible battle with cancer. I had to sit at home with her while her tumors ruptured and she whined in pain, and I sat with her in her last moments when she was no longer able to stand, even to go to the bathroom. I wish I had an individual so tender and caring to tell me that Lulu was happy in Heaven. Even though I’m an Atheist, I’m still incredibly touched by this story, because it’s not the existence of a God that matters in this story, but the fact that there was an individual so kind that they were willing to act as God for this child, in order to tell her that her beloved pet was all right and happy. I only wish someone had done this for me.

• Sheerie Knoll says

How do you know it was a lie? The Lord works in mysterious ways. The Lord works through others. Maybe the Lord worked through this wonderful person to help ease the pain of a little girl.
          When she grows up she will understand all that has happened, and I doubt she will think she was lied to, but that someone cared.

• Vicky says

You are a cold, heartless person if you can’t see that this child needed to know that he beloved pet is in a wonderful place. It is not lying! Quit trying to be so high and mighty.

• Beth says

It is absolutely lying. I don’t think it was the ‘wrong’ thing to do, to let her know the dog was someplace else – but it is definitely lying. Wrap it up in any type of bow you want, but it is still lying. Speaking of high and mighty, jeez.

I know – ‘tearjerker’ seems to be the consensus :) thanks, Averie! I hope your weekend is great also!

2. Roberta says

I love stories like this. And I am not ashamed to say it made me cry. The person who wrote the letter back to Meredith is a saint.

• britt says

Steve, what is your issue. Grow up and stop being a TROLL. I hope your comments are removed, you’re putting negativity on something really positive, and I kinda hope you don’t have kids while you’re in this stage of life. K, thanks, have a great day!!! 😀

Spabettie, this was really sweet, and reminds me of my black lab, Belvore. I just lost him last year, and I still miss him so much. I’m glad my son got to meet him.

Britt, I am sorry about losing your pup – they bring so much to our lives, don’t they?

Thanks for seeing this as what it is – a heartwarming story that you don’t have to take too literally or pick apart!

• Annette Mackey says

Great response Britt. People can be so full of it, as Steve has proven. hahaha

• Meg says

When my father was dying in the hospital last month, my very young brother asked if dad could hear his parting words to him. He couldn’t. He was brain dead. But I told him he could, and he said good bye to him and whispered something in his ear. At the end of the day, after he was gone, my brother was strong. “He heard me say I love him. It’s okay, he heard me say good bye.” Is it so wrong to have a bit of faith? However fleeting? This little girl may grow up, and may not believe in God. But for that moment, for now, she’s comforted, where she otherwise wouldn’t be. Yes, it’s okay to lie in some cases. It’s good to.

• Nancy says

I believe your dad DID hear, love transcends the physical plane and the soul “hears” even when the body no longer can.

As for Meredith, I believe “angels” are God’s thoughts passing to man and the human who comforted the child was, indeed, an angel sent from Heaven.

• Jancie says

Give it up Steve. You and Seth need to get together, you deserve each other.
          The story was beautiful, a child was comforted, nuf said!

I did too, Katrina! so beautiful, right? and (thankfully) it was not my beloved dog, this is a story my sister shared with me this week… if I had just lost my dog I don’t think I could type… Happy Saturday, Katrina!

• says

I realized after reading it again that it actually wasn’t yours. So was it something that happened TO your sister, or just an unknown source story? No matter–what a great story.

3. Anne says

This made me cry. :( I am sitting here on the couch with our soon to be 16 year old Siamese (Beethoven is his name). I worry about the day he goes. It will not only break my heart, but the kids hearts as well.

I am so sorry! :( It made me cry too, it was such a beautiful thing! I hope Beethoven has much more time with you all – three of my dachshunds have lived to be 18 – 19… ((hugs)) to you!

• Anne says

Oh no! Not in a bad way. Just it was so sweet.

But it does bring back the pain of losing a beloved pet. But I know when Beethoven goes, he has lived a wonderful, happy, long life. He has moved with us from Wichita, to Colorado Springs, to Lakewood, CO, to Castle Rock, CO to Southern CA, to Bozeman, MT to Lawrence, KS and now to St. Louis, MO. I just hope he is still with us when we move back to Colorado.

Wow, this is so inspiring! Thanks for sharing, Kristina. I have to admit, a tear or two welled up and an “Awwww” passed my lips while I was reading this. What a great reminder of the goodness in people and that dogs are still man’s best friend :)

hi Zoe! I know, it is a great reminder of what is important, give a squeeze to your animals, and be thankful for the good people out there… <3

I know, sorry for the lack of giggle this time, my friend. Isn’t it nice to know there are people like this? <3

Hi Sharla! I know, everyone is having the same reaction to this story, including me. it just gives me hope, knowing there are people out there that do this. <3

Tiffany! yes, Basil is alive and well… I would NOT be able to open my computer let alone type if I lost my sweet Long Dog. <3 thank you for your concern - hugs to you and Linx! and yes - isn't this such a sweet story?? XXO!

aw! you and Andy are awesome. isn’t this such a touching story? XXO! hug each other for me!!

A friend sent me this. I was just saying moments ago on Twitter that there were too many rude and selfish people in the world and then I saw this. My faith in humanity is restored. Very sweet story.

Hello Wendy! thank you for coming by and telling me this – if I can have an impact on someone’s outlook, even from posting a story that is not mine, then I feel good about that! I know, there are many rude and selfish people around and I TRY not to let them get to me. This sometimes proves difficult as I can be reactionary 😀

I stopped by your blog for a second, and the first thing I saw?? GUMMI BEARS! you don’t even know my Immense Affinity for gummis. I immediately added you to my reader, on this fact alone. Then I read your About Me – I too suffer from migraines, so first let me offer empathy! I have not been diagnosed as intolerant to gluten (or anything, but only because I have not tested it), but I do eat a *mainly* gluten free diet.

The world works in mysterious ways – I’m happy your friend shared my post so I could find you :)

• says

The timing on receiving this post really was perfect. Lightened my mood immediately. So glad to now know you and to discover that we share interest in a gluten free diet. Definitely let me know how the gummi bear shots turn out.

Oh my goodness, that is an amazing story. Thank you so much for sharing it. I could only imagine how the little girl felt afterward. What an amazing soul to have gone through all of that work to give the little girl some closure! Very good karma!!

hi Cooking Rookie! (I looked for your name, I cannot find it :) … ) thank you, but I was simply sharing a story that touched me in a big way, it (thankfully) was not my dog… my Basil Pup is still here with me! I just loved the story and wanted to share… thank you, I appreciate your compassion! :)

P.S. also, you should check your email… you have won my giveaway! 😀 Cheers!

That is an exceptional sweet thing for a complete stranger to do. I bet it made your niece feel a whole lot better. *wipes tears from eyes*

Just read about this story on Twitter. So sweet and touching. And it’s such a shame that the bad news somehow always gets the most attention. Because I truely believe that there is lots more good in this world than bad and examples like this are great reminders of that. Thanks for sharing!

you are welcome, Karin! yes, I wish it wasn’t the negative that people are drawn to – when there are positive, heartwarming and HOPEFUL stories like this one… losing a pet is so difficult, and for someone to give such a wonderful act of kindness – it restores my hope in humanity! 😀

I’m not ashamed to say this made me cry! I had to put down my eight month old Dachshund back in January after she got terribly sick with distemper. Bless this person who wrote back to that little girl!

oh, Beth, I am SO sorry to hear that. I don’t know if you read more of my blog to see I have a dachshund, a red smooth named Basil. I grew up with doxies and while I love all dogs, I feel a special connection to Long Dog People :) Losing a pet is never easy, I am sorry for your loss.

• says

Thank you! I loved my little Doxie, she was a miniature longhaired, tricolor, named Iris. Myself and her big sister Athena, my Great Dane mix, were very sad when she passed on. I have a paw impression in clay that the vet’s office made for me as well as her ashes.

aw, sweet Iris. what a wonderful thing for the vet to do, making a paw for you!! Other pets really take it hard too, when we lose a loved pet… give Athena a big hug for me, okay? :)

10. Lynn says

That is wonderful! Made me cry too…I googled the story just so I could send it to someone and snopes.com came up. I was afraid to open it in fear that it was a hoax or something (why? Im not sure) but anyway it said it was TRUE! That made me happy as well…

I’m so glad it was true! I didn’t think about it until you said so, Lynn… isn’t it the sweetest thing?? hope all is great – WHEN DO WE GET TO SEE YOU!?? :)

• Lynn says

I know!! Well I will be in PDX mid July for an internship at Kaiser in Clackamas….are you close to Clacky?? message me on FB!

11. Bob says

That’s cute.
    I like how we lie to kids about Santa, Easter Bunny, and God.
    Fairy tales make us feel good.

12. Jerry C says

Think about someone writing a “story” about you today and then repeating that story for over two thousand years – a fairy tale indeed. If there is a heaven, God would surely make room for such beloved friends. Thank you so much for sharing such a beautiful story.

you are welcome, Jerry! thank you for your awesome comment – it made me smile. fairy tales are a good thing to believe in and pass along…

13. Courtney says

This brought tears to my eyes, probably doesn’t help that i’m listening to “Over the Rainbow right now.” My 11 year old dog died this past november and it was just heartbreaking. Lucky for me I have a 1 year old Lab who stuck by my side during the whole thing. This story was so heart-warming, thank you for sharing.

thank YOU for reading and commenting, Courtney! I am so sorry about the loss of your dog, glad you have the Lab to comfort you <3 This story IS so heartwarming, I had to share it!

14. Kristen says

This is so beautiful, I cannot stop crying. This makes me miss my dog, who passed away recently, but it also restores some of the hope I’ve been losing for society. To whoever wrote this letter, you are perfect. Spread the love, KS.

Kristin, I am SO sorry about your dog <3 I'm happy this touched you, though, and that it returned some faith – it did the same for me! ((hugs)) to you!

15. Fruxo says

You need to stop teaching this “god” nonsense to your daughter. People die, pets die. That’s life, and we should show them the respect of not applying some obsolete form of comforting nonsense to their memory.

• justjoeindenver says

Your anger at something or someone is preventing you from exploring the subjectivity of your own consciousness, at your own expense. I hope that you recover from the pain in your life that has led you to attempt to encourage others into some manner of debate about the existence of what we know as “God”. I’m not at all a religious person, but that doesn’t blind me from the spirituality that connects all of us.

You’re likely just trolling the internet looking for anonymous fights, but your statements indicate that you have an inner-desire to understand the subjectivity of your reality that is hidden away due to an endless-cycle of negativity in your life. I truly hope that you can move past this.

• Matt says

Why are you supposing this person is in pain? They’ve made a statement about how they would like people to act and you’ve tried to make out that they’re mentally ill. What’s up with that? It appears you want perfect agreement and anyone who steps aside from that must be faulty. Perhaps you need to think harder about your own desires and what they entail. A little honest self assessment could help ensure the next time someone who likes a little honesty with their dog stories comes along it doesn’t throw you so far overboard. Accusing anyone who doesn’t go “awwwww” of being broken says more about you than it does about them.
        I won’t lie to my children about death. Why should a postal employee be lauded for doing so on someone else’s behalf?
        Wait, I can feel it. The nearest thing to a supernatural event in my life to date, I prophesy that someon’s going to ping me for having no magic in my soul. Well, they can go jump. My children are having a good time growing up in the care of loving parents who do their best to make sure every day is filled with fun and adventure and that they learn to be good people in spite of all the bullshit available to them, rather than teaching them the bullshit and hoping they’ll turn out alright.
        Please don’t put words into my mouth or claim I am mentally ill or fun deficient for failing to agree with you on the merit of this tale.

• jlzdik;h; says

he never said he was mentally ill, but that was a very trollish, opinionated, and offensive comment, though. go ahead and say i’m calling him or you mentally ill, but i will stand by my belief that this story has no “god bullshit” but is touching in every way. dont feed or support the trollz. >:(

16. max says

Whilst I think @Fruxo is a little harsh, I do think it is a shame that this little girl had to be told a pack of lies. When my daughters rabbit died and she asked me waht would happen to it when we buried it, I told her that it would go into the ground and spread out and feed all the plants in our garden and help to keep the circle of life going. She is now 33 and tells me that that explanation made her fell alright about death.

Why can’t we teach rationality to out kids? I swore never to lie to my kids, about death Father Christmas or anything else, I never have and I am proud to say I have happy well adjusted “kids” with families of their own. Nothing is gained by lying about the important things in life!

• antitrollman says

wtf!? kids need a HEALTHY IMAGINATION imagination is what has got the world where it is now and i dont want to hear “yeah, imagination haz got the world into a huge mess, dumbass,” i hate it when people inject “FAKE,” “they r teaching kids LIEZ,” and such into these things, or ANYTHING for that matter. its people like you that make these AWESOME people feel ASHAMED for doing good deeds.

17. justjoeindenver says

Couldn’t get through it – must be something in the air up here – kept getting something in my darned eye. Repeatedly.

18. Tim says

@ max & Fruxo… “comforting nonsense” is the only thing children her age understand. The brain of a child is unable to understand, much less deal with, such abstract concepts as death, finality, mortality. Children think and experience and respond in linear fashion only. But their Hearts! Oh, their Hearts grasp the knowledge of the Universe and in it see the simplicity of loss… the devastation and and emptiness which remains when their dog (or cat, goldfish, etc.) dies. There was no “religious propaganda”, or faith-based ulterior motive here, only some “comforting nonsense”, a bit of warmth to help a child deal with a very disturbing yet all-too frequent aspect of Life. There is a time and place for rationality, granted. But there’s plenty of rationality ahead, when you’re 4, 5, or 6, and when your Dog dies, the last thing a child wants, or needs, is a science lesson. Now, I’m not a big believer in god or the hereafter, the jury’s still out on that one… but I do know that a child’s loss of a dear pet is worthy of some heartfelt “comforting nonsense”….
    Oh, and @joe… those nasty winds have reached all the way to Tennessee….

gosh, Tim, and now reading your comment, dang I have something in my eye again! thank you for being eloquent and harmonious in a civil way – I appreciate that.

19. Tina says

Thanks for sharing! It makes me feel better knowing that there are still people out there who care that a little girl misses her beloved buddy. I’ve lost many dogs and I’m glad someone tried to help your daughter through her pain.

20. Marie Powers says

This is a wonderful story. Whoever gave that child hope is truly a messenger of God. Thank you for posting this!

21. Aimee says

Ahhh, this was so lovely! I’m not a “cute story” or religious person at all but I teared up reading this. What I loved most was the fact that someone went out of their way to keep a child’s sense of wonder and belief alive. Wonderful :)

22. Joe says

Wow this story had me in tears though it was a beautiful one at that. Meredith is such a little sweetheart and is gonna grow up to be a wonderful person just like her mam :) Thanks for posting this, it makes me appreciate the smaller things that much more now x

23. Amanda says

This is so sweet. It’s so nice to know that there still are such caring people in the world. =)

I thought so too, Brittany! simply wonderful, indeed! and how are you, by the way? great to “see” you, my friend!!

• says

Good to see you too, ma’am! Doing well… getting back on track and ready to kick obesity’s ass! Working on getting a job in Austin so i can finally move :) How are you ma’am?

I keep reading this over and over. I love it. It makes me feel okay with the world. I want to go hug my postman right now. I know he’d do the same thing if this had happened to me and I had a child.

“it makes me feel okay with the world” – I completely agree, Allison!! :) it restores hope.

25. CelesteM says

Kyle, Max, and Fruxo – RIGHT ON!!

@Tim – Children her age may not completely understand, but by lying you are not exactly helping a child grow up with a rational and logical understanding. There is no room for children to understand it later on….it starts somewhere.

Here are the facts:

3- 6 years:

Child’s Perception: Child thinks death is reversible; temporary, like going to sleep or when a parent goes to work. Believes the people who die will come back.

Providing Support:
    1) Help to verbalize feelings and fears
    2) Be honest and tell a child if you do not have an answer
    3) Gently confront magical thinking
    4) Use specific, concrete words – not euphemisms “Mommy went to sleep” ” God took the dog”

– This is coming from the experts people…open your eyes!

• mom says

@CelesteM – They did not lie to the child. I’m sorry if you don’t believe it. I’m sorry if you believe you are going to die and your soul isn’t going to heaven. Enjoy your coffin.

• CelesteM says

Please read the story again so you can see how obvious the lie is. I am not sorry that I was not brought up on magical thinking… I pride myself greatly for being logical, analytical, and methodical. Your argument isn’t backed up with any proof or rational proof. Actually it is all emotion, which in the end gets you nowhere. I actually wish to be cremated – that just goes to show how narrow-minded you are. Also, to the author of this blog. I’m sure you think us atheist/agnostic aka logical thinkers are plaguing your site. Also, the fact that you don’t respond to any of our comments in order to not engage or be picked upon a “troll” shows great restraint. Honestly, knowing that you read them is enough for a so-called “troll” Funny how critical and people with a difference of opinion are considered trolls. Yet many “god” believers engage and fall in to the trap. Well done religion!

If you are calling yourself a troll? that is you, not me. I don’t resort to name calling.

If I thought you were plaguing my site, your comments would not be approved – I have not left any comment out. The only comments I have considered moderating are those in response to you and to some others, as they are increasingly vicious, which I never intended.

I do however have an open mind. I welcome other points of view and courteous, thoughtful debate.

for the record, I am neither irrational or critical.

thank you for your comments.

• stefany says

Celeste do you also pride yourself on being judgmental? I don’t know the blog author either but I’m not passing judgements on them for “not engaging” with everyone here. No matter what they believe, it looks like they choose to respond to those who don’t attack, they have said they welcome debate.

• Gina says

Is it logical to be callous and apathetic? Whether you believe in something or not, the act had the right intention. As far as cremation goes, many religions accept it. It’s funny how something that can be totally separated from religion and have the same message is often used to harp on religion. I do not understand why everyone wants everyone else to believe what they do. I just want to point out that it is personally in my opinion disappointing that a simple gesture of kindness can spark so much malice.

• Kim says

Boy! Some people just have to get their negative two cents in everywhere. It does not matter what anyone believes about what has happened to this child. The only important thing here is to see that a story reached out and touched many others. The fact that we can still affect each other with a simple little story is all I need to see that humanity still exists.

Opinions of religion (or politics as that is what some of these comments turned into) do not even matter. All this story is trying to show is that someone took some time out of their own life to reach out to another human being on this planet and attempt to make a difference in their life.

I would like to take a moment to ask any of you that have something negative to say to look back on your last day, week, month and tell me when you have touched the life of a stranger and made a difference.

Beautiful story! Thank you for sharing.

hi Kim, THANK YOU for this! perhaps because I am open minded and can respect others point of view I didn’t realize this story would have so much backlash. someone going out of their way to do something nice for someone else, that is what I took from this story too. heartwarming!

• CelesteM says

If it makes you feel any better…. I’ll give you a synopsis of the past 12 years of my life. I started out as a volunteer with the YMCA, later went on to work with AmeriCorps as a volunteer in Puerto Rico at a transitional home for drug addicts. After grad school, I was a Peace Corps volunteer in China working as an EFL teacher. Does that make you feel like you’ve made your point?

My point was to state a fact and this no one can deny. Its just sad to me that people who think they are “touching” the lives of a stranger are actually doing harm in the long run.

• stefany says

No. It doesn’t make me feel better, it makes you look self righteous. I don’t care about “how great you are” as you so deem yourself, because I have a similar background, believe it or not, AS WELL AS SIMILAR BELIEFS. still, I can appreciate others views and whether I think so or not, know that kids will be FINE even being shielded from the stark reality of death that as a four year old, they may not understand.

I do appreciate your comment here, though. As I was researching the validity of this story, I came across the “anarchist forum” where they are all in agreement and get their jolly from bashing the blog author here and gloating together over their shared theories. How fun to pick on someone and not have disagreement. how superior they must feel!

interesting point! even though some people here have been nasty, they are sharing beliefs with those who will argue and contest them.

• K says

It’s pointless to argue about beliefs, side’s who are they do judge someone else’s beliefs? At the very least we should respect another’s belief, but unfortunately people don’t like to see outside of themselves.. if that makes any sense.

it makes perfect sense. unfortunately people are often closed minded to views outside their own, and fortunately, our differences are what make life interesting! :)

to Jen (“I bet you’re liberal”):

you’d be surprised.

what I am is open minded, that’s all. I’m also not judgmental.

that is so sweet i remember when my first dog died she was a small black dog my other dogs grandma she ran away and never came back her name was star but we called her miss pigy because she made snorting sounds i sure do miss her and thanks for posting that it was a sweet story

I started crying as I read your story. . . And I don’t know why. It’s just amazing that someone out there is that kind. Makes me want to have more faith in humanity. :’D

Mind you, crying isn’t something I do often.

28. Chis says

What a wonderful, beautiful story. My friend just lost her beloved dog yesterday, and she was able to smile after reading this. I’m sad though at those who see this as “lies” told to children. My most beautiful memories are stories being told to me as a young child… Not only things about religion. It made for a wonderful, fun filled childhood filled with imagination and wonder. You learn what the truth is as an adult, but of course you don’t feel lied to. You feel loved because someone took the time to help your creative mind bloom. How lucky I feel. And how lucky this girl will feel when she’s an adult. Great mother and great stranger who took the time to create peace for this little girl.

29. emily says

i got to this post via stumbleupon, and i’ll be honest, i cried. incredibly beautiful and touching!

30. Susanna Noelle says

Wow, Tears were running down my face as I read this. This is a beautiful story! I’m fourteen I recently had to put my dog down. Its extremely sad but reading this made me feel WAY better. :)

31. Charlotte says

This is so lovely, I’ve had dogs all my life and its so hard, especially as a child to understand why your dog isn’t around anymore but this is absoloutely beautiful! I actually cried at how thoughtful and touching it was.

Oh my gosh, typing through my tears. That’s the sweetest thing ever. God bless the person that did this for your daughter. And hugs to all of you!

33. Shannon Becker says

AWWWWWWWWWWW! this is the cutest story i have ever heard of! i am very sorry that your dog died :( i had a dog that was the best ever, and i loved him, and he loved me, and some people that lived next to us stole him becuase we were responsible enough. so i know how you feel. and that is really sad. and im glad that the dog is with God in Heaven. <3

• antitrollman says

she keeps saying… “just some story i heard, no children no dead dog.” READ BEFORE POSTING. ps i am not trying to be judgmental, m just getting a little bugged by trolls and semi-reposters. sorry if i wuz offfensive :(

34. SAppy says

You guys all know that according to the Christian bible dogs and other animals dont go to heaven, they’re here on this Earth to serve us right? If your going to teach a child to love “god” at least tell them the truth

35. Brookes says

wow, I had my 14 year old boxer put down yesterday, one if the hardest days in my life. I went on stumbleupon to try and get my mind off things for a while and came upon this on my first stumble. I do believe my dag is in heaven by all the love she shared. and this story reminded me of all the good times I had with my dog and forgot the recent decline in her health. I will miss her dearly :(

• Steinne says

Oh my gosh, I just lost my beloved KeKe also l4 years old just
      a week ago and I am still crying, I also received a poem in the mail
      from FosterSmith.com called Rainbow Bridge stating that KeKe
      was in heaven playing but she will be waiting for me when I also
      arrived and we can be together again. Steinne

36. David Brier says

I’m all feklempt!!! I am a dog lover and have lost far too many in my lifetime. That was a great story and thanks for sharing.

37. Jen says

I cry every time I read this!! I’ve stumbled upon this a few times and the letter from God always gets me. There really are some sweet people out there!

38. Dola chi-Trei says

It looks cute on the surface, but all it does is take away the reality of death (which a child must learn, that’s partly what pets are for) and reinforces a superstitious belief in the supernatural. It’s actually very counter-productive for the child’s development.

I agree a child should learn about death – my own beliefs aside, do you know many people actually believe this is what happens?

I do not agree that pets are here to “serve us” (another commenter stated, I know this was not you), or that learning about death “is partly what pets are for”. Yes, death happens, and I would still have pets knowing this, but I don’t have pets to serve this function.

This story simply touched me, and I wanted to share it. Thank you for your input, and have a great day!

• Steve says

Just remember all Lies do harm and and make the truth hard to find. God did not make dogs per say as they are Man did they all came from Wolves by picking traits that man wanted.

• antitrollman says

get lost steve. >:( or STOP FIKIN TRASHING THE STORY! ps i purposely misspelled that so my post dosn’t disappear.

39. Jaclyn says

This is so beautiful….made me choke up…glad to know there are such kind soles hidden in this world and near when we need them

40. Jerd says

Thats terrible.
    Now that child will grow up genuinely believing in a god because her parents/postal workers lied to her.

• Teri says

Baloney! My parents “lied” about Santa, the Tooth Fairy, and the Easter Bunny. Yet amazingly, I no longer genuinely believe in them…haven’t since around 10 years old. Was also brought up with religion and a belief in God…sometimes I’m not sure of that, but never feel like my parents “lied” to me. And I think I am a pretty well-adjusted person, who cares about others, and respects the fact that there are a variety of beliefs out there, and a lot of things we don’t understand. I don’t look at Hindu parents and think they are cruel and damaging their children for teaching them a belief in reincarnation. Don’t look at Muslims and think they are damaging their children for a belief in Allah. Don’t look at atheists and think they are damaging their children for a lack of belief in a god. Et Cetera, et cetera. Believe it or not, children grow into autonomous adults, who, unless kept in a basement for their entire lives, go out into the world and develop their own opinions and beliefs. And are not damaged by fantasies of childhood.
      I’m disheartened by the lack of tolerance and acceptance in these people who disagree with this mother’s belief system, and must see something so negative in what is a positive and caring story that demonstrates a level of compassion from a stranger that we so often think is missing from our society. I get the feeling some of these commentators, if they received the child’s letter, would have sent back a photo of a decaying dog carcass and said, “Listen kid. Your dog is worm-food. That’s life get over it.” I don’t believe children are always ready for the stark realities of life–should we show them how their hamburgers are processed? Should we show them pictures of children run-over by cars to teach them not to run in the street? After all, that is life! I don’t think so. Others, though, may disagree…

• Andy says

Sorry I didn’t finish reading your comment before my last comment. What is wrong with showing your kids how hamburgers are made? When I have children I plan on teaching them at a very early age how to slaughter livestock for their food, after that I will show them how to separate that carcass into it’s primals, then subprimals, then its individual cuts and then show them the best cooking method that should be applied to each cut. That way by the time the fella is ten he/she can cook me an 8 course meal.

• Steve says

somehow lies cause more lies to be told until they are found out.
        We must learn about death and life , lies do not need to be part of it. Once this child learns this was a lie what else will they think was a lie , you don’t have to go in detail about what happens to the dog in the ground . it would be enough to say the dog no longer suffers and lets go find another.

• antitrollman says

The dog no longer suffers? Yes. lets go get another?! WWTTTFFFFF????!!!!!!!!!!! thats like saying “oh your best friend died? lets go get another to replace him/her!” like their some broken toy. heartless. just heartless. what a shame.

41. Ally says

The line “Abbey isn’t sick anymore” made me choke up and I actually cried a bit. Thanks for sharing this!

Also, Jerd: I hope you’re just a bored troll and don’t genuinely think that. I’m a non-religious person but it never hurts to have hope.

42. Jayke1981 says

Like Ally, it brought a lump to my throat too, that was sooo sweet. The Girl is only 4 years old, she doesn’t need to know the reality of death yet, that is why a postal worker did that very kind thing. As for the Trolls..get a life!

43. Tina says

This story choked me up right away as I too lost my dog also named Abby. After reading this story it makes me feel so much better knowing that there are still people out there that care enough to do this for this child. We may never know who did this wonderful thing but that little girl will have this wonderful memory for the rest of her life and when times get tough she can look back on this and remember that people do care.

sorry for YOUR Abby, Tina. that’s what I took from this story as well, that some people do care, and will go out of their way to do something nice.

44. kelly h says

Just beautiful, I ran across this on StumbleUpon, first thing on a Sat. morning. It touched my heart & I shared it on FB with everyone!!! Thanks for making my day a little brighter!!!

45. Annie says

Obviously the mother wrote that letter back to her daughter. It’s a little obvious just from the excessive praising of the mother, but also impossible for the supposed postal worker to have known that the mother helped with the letter, as Meredith does not mention that anywhere in the letter.
    Also, to the mother who wrote this, there is a huge contradiction. “God” says that “we don’t need our bodies in heaven,” but then says “having the picture was a big help. I recognized Abbey right away.” If there are no bodies in heaven, how did God recognize the dog from a picture of the dog’s body?

when I first read the story, I didn’t necessarily think a postal worker actually wrote this, but maybe the mother did. I chose to see a “Feel Good Story” of hope and people being nice to one another, rather than pick it apart and find flaws.

if I went around looking at everything literally and finding the inconsistencies in life, I would be exhausted and sad.

I’ve read this story before, and it really bothers me.

I’ve lost dogs before, it’s the worst thing, they’re family… I’ve lost family too, human ones, My parents and my sister.

Religion never offered me any comfort, even as a child I realised it was “Santa for grownups” so I think being lied to in this way wouldn’t have helped me.

I remember my Aunt, who had recently lost her Husband, she was given something to read from the Bible to offer her comfort.

It seems to me that yes it hurts, but this airy-fairy stuff isn’t helping, we need our friends and family around us, we need contact.

I needed that hug from my Mother when I told the vet on the phone that it was ok to put my dog down, I asked her to hug me, she said “I thought you didn’t want me to” She hugged me and cried too, Laddie was a wonderful part of our family.

I’ve been through cancer, and had to face it, I watched my Sister pass away last year.

There’s no God, but I have no need of a fictional spirit, I have enough strength to face these things alone… which is something I never thought I’d have, which is something I hoped I’d never need.

Give me your arms around me, hold me, love me… be there for me, don’t give me fairy stories.

hi Wolfie, thank you for writing, and for stating your opinions in a thoughtful and peaceful manner. I agree completely with you – communication and comfort from others is MY most important thing, too. You may find it surprising that this story doesn’t completely reflect my views either. It did touch me – there are varying degrees to how a “lie” will effect people and their outlook. Perhaps I didn’t think there would be so many opposing views (some nasty!) is because I can respect other’s points of view many times. If I cannot, I can still engage in conversation about it without taking it personally. I appreciate that you can too, THANK YOU!

I hope you are safely on the other side of cancer, and I am very sorry about the loss of your sister (and your dog).

• Steve says

You are a very good mother with the best interests for your daughter I also lied about our dog after she was in pain with cancer and no hope I had her put to sleep and I was in the room with her the whole time it’s done in two stages and I would never be in the room again for something like that it tore me up very bad and i still think about it her last breaths she was looking into my eyes while being unable to move , then I lied to my son and said she died at home during the night , never again will I do this it’s the most awful feeling in the world. Yours won’t cause you or her any pain. Sorry for any other posts that might cause you any feeling of pain and did not mean them to. i would delete them if I could. Sorry

Wow ~ such a lovely story and aren’t you a wonder to find it ~ I have a Yorkie now and had a Lab for 14 years that died a year ago Feb and so this touched my heart very deeply ~ even though I am an adult ~ thanks for sharing that ~ Carol and zoo ^_^

hi Carol – sorry about your lab <3 and hug the Yorkie for me! :) I have been through loss of pets also, one reason this was heartwarming to me too!

48. LuneDeNoir says

I don’t believe in God at all, and I hardly ever cry. But this story was just so precious. For me it shows that we don’t need God, we just need to act kindly towards each other.

thank you for seeing that it can be a positive and heartwarming thing, even if it is in opposition to your beliefs! it may not be my belief either, but the story still touched me :) thanks for writing!

49. Tara says

This was the sweetest thing i think i have ever read. Im still crying, but not in a sad way. Its so refreshing to see the kindness in a strangers heart. This is a beautiful story and i have passed in on to so many people. Thank goodness for Stumbleupon! Im glad i found this page.

thanks, Tara! I’m happy you found it too, and that it touched you. thanks for passing it on, too – I never realized there would be so many opposing views when I posted it :)

50. Debra says

Heard this story long ago- people have a lot of ideas regarding death and God. Some kids like the story of Santa and the Easter Bunny and then there are those of us who never believe what they are told after being lied to. One person’s truth may be another person’s lie….we need not judge others, just do our best. It’s kind of cute even if it is not everyone’s truth.
    Think the story was just made up anyway, so who cares? The point is that dogs are our best friends and losing one can be very painful, as painful as losing a human.

WELL SAID, Debra! this story may not even reflect my own views, but I am open minded and can see it as a heartwarming and touching story.

51. Carol says

There are no coincidences, are there? What a kind and compassionate postal worker – paying it forward and remaining anonymous at the same time AND a perfect example of “playing God” in a good way. The coincidence is that in the last 3 weeks we’ve lost our 14 year old Rottie Lab mix and our 18 year old cat. Cooper came to us when she was about 8 or 9 weeks old, John I helped to deliver because his Mom had a cast on her leg at that time. Both were “the right thing”, but that makes the loss no less painful. The circle of life continues, tho – we are now the proud parents of an 11 week old Aussie Shep/Heeler pup who is scary smart and such a joy – our 6 year old dog is not so quick to agree, but he has accepted her and is teaching her about how to be a dog. I never want to be without animals again!

Carol, I am SO sorry for your losses, it is definitely difficult to lose a pet. Happy to hear you continue with a new puppy, and the 6 year old pup will come around – I’ve had older pets “teach” the new pups too – very sweet!

52. Michele says

I read this story earlier and asked my neighbor, who is a postal carrier about whom responds to these types of letters. She said that it is the postal carrier in the neighborhood who picks up the mail. It’s so nice to know that something that took so little time for them to too can make such a big difference in a little girls life.

53. Seth says

How convenient, ”there is no need for us to keep our bodies in heaven so I couldnt keep your picture”. Why dont I get a gold wrapped package with something inside? Im sure the delivery man knew EXACTLY where to send that letter. How did the letter even get to ”heaven”? If his excuse for not keeping the picture is “we dont need bodies” (therefore all they need is their ”spirits” so in retrospect they cant even obtain a material object) then how did he get the paper to write on? How did he get the pencil? (assuming he used a pencil, if not then how did he get the computer and printer?) Someone is doing the Santa Claus tactic!

pretty sure we are all aware this letter didn’t actually get to Heaven, and that God did not write the response. This is supposed to be a heartwarming story of a random act of kindness from one person to another, a stranger. A story of hope. No need to pick at the details and take it literally.

and before you think about “this poor kid being lied to”, yes, I’ve heard that too. if being told about santa claus or the tooth fairy made me believe in the power of hope, and help me become an open minded accepting person I am today, I’ll take those “lies” over becoming bitter, literal and searching for negative in everything.

• Seth says

Well hope doesnt have any power at all. Going out and actually making a difference on the other hand, has a lot more power than hope, praying, and wishing. But not believing in santa, the tooth fairy, or god doesnt make you a bitter person. I dont believe in god one bit and I am a happy person, I dont search for something negative in everything, its just that if you look at it, the process of god writing a letter back has a lot of flaws and contradicts its self. I just have a realistic view on the world.

• Gina says

Hope and wishing have a lot of power…those are what yields the doing…hoping, wishing, and aspiring to do gets things done. While I agree they alone do not accomplish anything, you cannot say they are powerless. Well, technically you can say that, but you being a realistic person has to admit that they are the catalysts for actions.

54. sonjaegner says

a gorgeous story for the little ones, i will remember this always, if i need to copy this heartfelt sharing, if this happens to my grandchildren, to comfort them in their first loss in life.. i hope this story reaches millions and plucks at a few heart strings that some have not felt for a long time

55. Steve says

I know it’s a sweet sounding story I love dogs too. but it’s just not right to lie , Bush lied and it cost us dearly. All lies do harm even if it seems sweet.

56. Jeannie says

My 16 year old Lhasa Apso – Jake was put down last Wednesday… has been very difficult!! This story had me in tears… oh to be young and innocent! What a great thing someone did for her!!

If you don’t believe in God, where in the world do you think you came from???? I would hate to think dying was the END. Some people are so negative. Too bad. So sad!!!!!

58. Abby says

(In response to all the people with negative comments: Religion and how people choose to raise their kids isn’t anybody’s decision to criticize if it’s not your own.) That being said, I’m not religious in the slightest, but I still think this is a very heart-warming story. I bet it brought great peace to your daughter. Another person this story brought tears to! :)

59. Shelby says

I believe that God may be there ,but I don’t know. I say that if that’s what that family believes, let them! I don’t think that if God was real he would ban something he created. I love all of my pets and I hope they go to a place where they can be happy and not be in the ground.You people just need to stop trolling and leave the people who believe that it isn’t a lie alone.I for one cried and don’t care what the other people think!

• antitrollman says

bravo, BRAVO! :) well said! oh and JUST to point something out to save you embarrassment; you dont need to write a signature, it does that automatically. JUST saying please dont take it the wrong way. :(

oh… My dog just passed away not long ago. I remember when I was so tiny and my pets passed away (we had so many; we are truly animal lovers) and I cried so much.
    hope your daughter liked the letter
    ~much luck~
    *a fellow animal lover*

61. carlos says

This really made me cry such an amazing story. And for people who don’t believe in god better wake up because he is real can’t compare him to fairy tales ……

62. dirtycanuck says

Yeck! Nothing like brainwashing a child from early on to always be in fear of the invisible sky daddy who ~IS ALWAYS WATCHING YOU~ This story is more for the benefit of weak and scared adults who can’t or won’t face the cold reality that their lives are based on fairy tales and deep instilled paranoia of the invisible man outside.

• Gina says

This isn’t about God at all, God just merely happens to be a part of it… the same story could have had any other character in it… why is it so hard to focus on the act of kindness here which is the whole point anyway? You seriously have never done anything to make someone’s day better?

63. kaja says

How did that person (alias GOD) know that her mother helped her with the letter?
    Although this story is very very cute i think it’s fake.

if you have to get literal, read the end of the first paragraph closely, where she says that her four year old “dictated these words” meaning it was probably in grown up handwriting. also? if you read the top couple lines before the story, I said that while I don’t know these people in the story, I verified it on snopes.com.

thanks for your commentary.

64. Angel says

WOW! Some of you people just cant let a feel good story be just that….a feel good story. Why do you feel the need to tear everything apart? This world is already so full of hate, why teach that to a 4 year old child that just lost a pet? Keep your hate to yourself. I have seen plenty of miracles in my life, and I know they exist, life in itself is a miracle. But I guess the big questions are: Why do you feel you need to be so hurtful towards a child who was in pain no matter what YOUR beliefs are? What are you gaining from this? Does this make you feel better? Are you a bigger, better person because of your views? Would you do nothing to dry the tears of a child? What if this was your child? I could keep going, but only people with hearts and a soul will know where I am coming from. Much love to the beautiful people out there!

• CelesteM says

The statement you made of it being a ‘feel good story’ is subjective. Some people feel that way and some don’t. We can all state our opinions and in my case facts. Of course no one will listen to facts because its too much for them at times.

“This world is already full of hate, why teach that to a 4 year old child that just lost a pet?”
      Answer: Where are you getting “hate” from? Do you even know what you are talking about? I’ll disregard this question because it’s just plain irrelevant.

“Why do you feel you need to be so hurtful towards a child who was in pain no matter what YOUR beliefs are?”
      Answer: First of all, it wasn’t a belief. It was a fact….many facts to be exact from child psychologists.

“Does this make you feel better?”
      Answer: Its not about making anyone feel better…..its about telling the truth and doing it so that the child can later grow up learning how to deal with loss and disappointment in a rational way. This question is also irrelevant.

“Are you a bigger, better person because of your views?”
      Answer: Once again, another irrelevant question.

65. Angel says

Thank you for breaking it down for me lol :-) Is it irrelevant because you say it is? I know what I believe and what I feel, you can keep your “facts” and do whatever you please with them. Call me whatever you wish and you can play the blame game. But as for me, no matter what the “facts” are, I would not/could not stand by, no matter what the reason and watch a child cry and tell them to suck it up because of fact or because it was irrelevant or because some child psychologist thought it was right and that they should deal with loss in a rational way. You deal with things your way, and I will deal with them mine. Unfortunately, Pain, loss and disappointment come to all of us at some time in our lives, would you not want someone there for you to support you? To tell you its going to be ok? To dry you tears? To give you a hug? Or is that being irrational? I would want this for you.

66. Gina says

This is such an honest view on kindness. Sometimes it is hard to be nice to the people closest to you but even harder and even uncalled for to do something this kind for a complete stranger. People can believe whatever they want to, but kindness is universal. Painting something like this as evil and focusing on the lies is not what is important here. While I cannot force people to think what I do, I believe that the basic act of kindness the person showed that little girl should be commended. While peoples’ belief in God or whatever is personal, everyone likes acts of kindness shown to them. That’s the point of this story, not the lies or blasphemy or whatever anyone else is going on about. Thank you for posting this story, it was a nice thing to stumble upon. I hope that everyone hopes their children remain kids as long as they can. The world is a bad enough place as it is, it does not need to be ruined by premature destruction of dreams and premature exposure to unnecessary disappointments. Innocent acts of kindness do not need to be condemned, but rather applauded. Think about the last nice thing someone did to you and think about how you felt. Now think about how you would feel if someone tore them apart for going out of their way to make your life a little easier. Say what you want but I can not believe that kindness is something to be offended by. Thank you again for posting this.

• antitrollman says

stumbledupon 2 ^_^ YOU ROCK!………..

SOME TROLLS on the other hand NEED TO GET A F***ING LIFE

67. dani says

Iv lost every pet close to me. All dided. & it sucks. I los a dog who was my everything & this made me smile. Wether theres a god or not.. were all lied to. About several things.. god.. santa.. etc. But someone went out of there way to make a child smile. Later in life yes, the child will realize it was a lie. Maybe not. The child could later believe in god, & heaven etc. Even if this child was lied to whats it matter? I garuntee this child would smile in the end. Theyd be thankful that someone went out of their way to make her happy.. i dont understand why their has to be negativety in this. Yeah. A lie. One small lie. Sorry but i garuntee this childs parents lied about santa. This is a wonderful story. Everyone has their beliefs but i dont understand why all the negativety had to come in.. thank you for sharing. :) it made me feel alot better.

68. Arend says

Anyone who knows the Bible knows that animals have don’t have souls and can’t go to heaven or hell …

69. brian says

One of the finest individuals I have ever known , was my yellow lab . He was eight and a half years old and had stomach cancer . He dug a hole in the front yard to lay in because of his swollen stomach . On his last night I stayed out in the yard with him . The next day when we got to the animal shelter , there was no one there except the girl behind the counter my sister and myself . I guess it must have taken some time to fill out the paper work while hugging my dog and crying . Because when i took of his collar and turned around to leave the room was now full of people standing there in utter silence , That was May 16 , 2011 .

Brian, I am so sorry for your recent loss. Pets can become such a big part of our lives. Thank you for sharing, I’m sending you comfort and peace.

70. Sad Girl says

This is a beautiful story. It is amazing that someone in the postal office cared enough about the little girl and her story to write back and send a book. Its very hard when a pet dies because they are truly part of the family. You loved them with everything you had and they loved you in return. My pet was killed this morning on my balcony by a coyote. This story really cheered me up and helped me restore faith in human kind and the universe. Thank you for sharing it.

P.S. all you that have negative things to say…. This was a nice story about a kind person who was touched by a story and wanted to help a young girl grieve and give her peace.

oh my gosh, I am SO sorry about the coyote incident!! I’m happy this story brought you some cheer. Take care.

71. Kate says

What a marvelous human being to take the time to respond to this child. This simple gesture of kindness inspires me to do in kind.
    This is how to change the world.

72. Carla says

Found this through Stumble Upon, and i have to say that this is the sweetest thing I’ve read in a while. I’m a big animal lover and although i never lost any of my furry family at the age of five, i understand where the story is coming from.

the person who sent back the book and letter is a truely good person, and i hope that they are blessed by God for helping someone whom they never knew through a rough time in life. I sit here with my 18 year old Main Coon and loath the day he passes. But i know that Furball has had a full and loving life, and that no matter what is beyond the darkness of our final moments, it is a better place for everyone, human and animal.

• stefany says

Why suspicious? Stumbleupon is not something you can control, just like you cannot control all the negative closed minded people here. How is it suspicious?????

ha! yep, I have no say on who stumbles my pages!

as for the negativity here – I may not agree with every opinion but I agree we all have a right to be heard and will be heard here (unless you are attacking or becoming offensive)

73. Sasha says

Yeah nice story, I thought it was really cute but the letter didn’t seem like it was written by a four year old. On top of that, I kept reading and noticed that the nice person posing as “God” who replied with a letter and the book said “…and thank your beautiful mother for helping you write it and sending it to me. What a wonderful mother you have.” …? Really? And then you continued to complement yourself. How would that stanger have known that little Meredith’s MOM helped her write the letter. Maybe it was her dad who helped her, or maybe she did it by herself. You probably just made up this story, which is pathetic since you would be fishing for attention and complements using your poop little daughter (if you even have one). I know you will probably delete this but I just wanna let you know that that’s so lame.

hey Sasha! thanks for reading! if you actually would have read this, you would see:

1) I do not have children
      2) I do not KNOW these people, but have verified the story to be true from multiple sources
      3) The MOTHER prefaced this story, saying her daughter ASKED for HELP writing a letter (what she said was her daughter dictated the letter to her).

Thanks for the judgement, also. I don’t have to reduce to calling people pathetic, I simply thought this was A Nice Story. I’m not going to get into my beliefs with you, since you didn’t bring religion into this – instead you simply had to pick it apart and take it way too literally, and judge me at the same time. I had NO idea that posting this would bring such nastiness, I didn’t post it for attention and compliments.

Thanks again, though. Have a nice day.

74. Stephanie says

Eww, Sasha’s comment (along with the other negative ones) really irritated me. This was such a kind, wonderful story, and she and others had to pick it apart. Ugh! I hate technology sometimes. It gives people the courage to say rude things since they don’t have to say it to anyone’s face.

Either way, this story touched my heart in so many ways. I am 23, and lost my childhood dog in March. She was diagnosed with diabetes 2 years ago and it was a struggle from then onward. She became 100% blind in both eyes, constantly bumping into walls….falling down stairs…..not being able to find her food…and so on. It was sad to see. Fortunately, though I missed not seeing her a lot, I was glad to be away at college. Seeing her slowly deteriorate was enough to break anyone’s heart. I spent my week of spring break enjoying my time with her, little did I know, it would be the last. Four days after my return to college, she passed away. My mother didn’t tell me for a few days since she knew I had a big exam that week. I cried every night for a few weeks. My mother still cries when she tells me about coming home from work and watching my dog in her last moments of life. I am thankful that she died when I was away, because I honestly think I would have handled things a lot worse if I was there when it happened. Now that I have moved back home, it has been hard with her not around.

I need to remember though, that this is meant to happen. In some way though, the death of my first pet has made me not want to get one ever again. I go to the pet store and see all of the cute little puppies, and of course I absolutely want one. But then I remember that they die eventually, and I am not sure if I can withstand another heartbreak like that again. I am sure that I will come to my senses eventually and get another dog, especially if I have children, I definitely would want them to experience all the good things that come from having a pet/best friend.

Sorry for the novel. Thanks for this story!

you are SO welcome, Stephanie. I’m happy it touched you. I know the feeling of thinking you could never have another pet… it sometimes takes a while. As I sit here with my pup snoozing on my lap, I know the daily joys we have with him WILL outweigh the heartbreak of losing him one day.

I’m sorry about your recent loss – sending hugs and comfort to you! thank you for writing.

75. Will says

What a cool story. :) This is actually my second time stumbling upon this article in your blog and still read it. It makes me feel good to see that (even if this is fiction) there are still nice people out there. As for everyone leaving bad comments: really?? Come on… really? this is just a story some cool lady decided to put on her blog… If you have nothing better to do then to bash religion you need to get a life and stop pushing your views on others. if you didnt like this post just hit the Stumble button again. Dont litter her blog with negativity.
    Awesome post spabettie! 😀

thanks again, Will! 😀 thanks for coming back again and bringing positivity and open mindedness with you!! hope you have a great weekend!

• antitrollman says

yaknow? im sorry other bioches had to post cr@pp on your wonderfyl story. :( but i LOVE THIS STORY although i didnt cry, i was touched and have a stone cold heart for anyone who beats on you for posting ^3^

76. Lindsay says

Found this on stumbleupon and SO Glad this had come around! I literally cried because this is SUCH a beautiful story!
    God Bless you And your daughter! <3

77. Jess says

I’ve read this story about 5 times through now, and I’ve bawled every single time. It’s just beautiful to think that a complete stranger would be moved so much by one little girl’s letter, that’s really the point of it.

We all have our own individual needs when it comes to being comforted. I had to have my dog Phieffer put down in April (she was 16 years old, we got her just before I turned 11), and it was devastating. Everyone kept saying she was sick and it was the right thing, she would be at peace, etc- but the person who provided me with what I needed to deal with it was my sister. She didn’t say a word, just gave me a big hug and held me while we both cried. I needed to be validated in my grief; maybe little Meredith needed to hear that her dog was happy and playing somewhere else.

Also, spabettie- I love how you’re handling some of the more negative comments here. Way to be awesome! 😉

“we all have our own individual needs” – I could not have said it better!! THAT sentence right there is what this all comes down to. our differences are what make life interesting, right?? I’m sorry about Phieffer – pets bring so much to our lives and I send you comfort and (( hugs )) for your loss.

and thank you for sharing.

78. Regina Bohannon says

This story touched me so much. I am a veterinary technician and deal with the passing of much loved pets on a daily basis. I LOVE that someone took the time and effort to answer your daughters letter. There are angels in the world.

79. Trista says

I loved this ! But I have to wonder, how did “God” know Meredith’s mother helped her ? It said nothing about her mom in the letter. If this was verified as true, they could be being stalked by a postal worker… or the mom just twisted the letter around to throw in how awesome she is… ha ha.

hi Trista,

if you read the intro before the letter, it is the mom providing explanation before the letter, saying her daughter “asked if we could write a letter” and “she dictated these words” meaning the mom wrote it as the daughter dictated. I’m thinking the person reading probably saw what looked to be female handwriting, and therefore referred to the parent who helped write the letter as Mom.

80. Janet Speckmeier says

Just Beautiful. I got tears in my eyes. I hope you don’t mind me sharing this. thanks. Sorry for your pup. I know how it feels. That was just so cute.

I thought your daughter was so brave..i too have lost many pets and it does break my heart each time..the story you and your daughter was heart warming and beautiful..god bless you and your family…

82. Bob says

Someone tried to ease a little girl’s pain. She will make her personal spritual decisions as she gets older. For now, why don’t all the negative people go after the radical Muslims that want to kill all the infidels (which you are one) in Allah’s name. I think that might have a little more affect on the world than this story. You’re just going after the easy mark.

83. Jas says

I am not an arguing person by nature. So to whoever wants to reply and criticize my comment, go ahead but don’t expect a response. It’s a bit lengthy.

To all the negative people commenting:
    It is not a crime to give children hope that their beloved best friend is doing better somewhere else or to make them feel better. You may feel that a lie is a lie no matter what, but why make a four year old, who doesn’t understand the subject of science just yet, endure a lecture about how it’s not possible for the spirit of the dog to be anywhere than the ground. To me, I feel that that is more work in itself. I semi-agree with a comment before, even if it’s not my own beliefs, that telling a child that the rabbit, I believe, is being buried to help the gardens grow. That is sufficient enough. But don’t rationalize and say that lying to a child is bad when in reality, helping a child understand, ON THEIR LEVEL, is not only easier for the child but for the adult as well.

To the critical, analyzing people commenting:
    If you had read the story IN ITS ENTIRETY you would have noticed that the mother and daughter put a return address on the letter. When you ask, “How did God (postal worker) know her mother had helped,” it may have been written right on the letter. We don’t know. Or, in some wacky case of knowing people, the postal worker may actually know the family. I don’t know about where you all are from but my hometown is very communal. The postal workers are not just workers but they are friends and neighbors. Maybe it was a simple case of they know this family.

To others:
    This story was beautiful. I remember back to when I had to put my cat and my heart, Jeff, down after almost 16 years. He had been with me almost my entire life. He was in fact my best friend. To make it harder, it was right before I went off to college and that in itself is a stressful time and then adding on losing him. It was all rather challenging. Then this year has been a rather difficult year for me and this story just made me feel that there are still some considerate people in this harsh world we live in. No matter how someone tries to twist it negatively, and with Religion aside, even though I am a Christian, this story is exactly what the title described as “A Feel Good Story.”

84. Roxanne maclean says

Hears us and knows are joys and sorrows.
    He did not right the letter but one of his guardian angels did.
    When God spoke he has always used messengers to tell us things or show us.
    He sent his only begotten son.
    Enough said.

85. Angie says

I just want to say this story touched me. A few years ago a farmer shot and killed one of my dogs. At the time I had two a male and a female husky. Odin was killed and Bella was shot twice and survived! I was so upset when i learned of the news. At the time I lived on an Air Force base, when I came home from work. I had a little white tile leaning up against my door.
    The tile says. ODIN.. Gone yet not forgotten although we are apart, your spirit lives within me forever in my heart. crossed the rainbow bridge 4 sept. 06.
    I have no idea who gave me the tile, but it is on my mantle. This year, I finally got the nerve to spread his ashes. Living in Alaska, i took his ashes to the Iditarod trail and spread him so he could run forever.
    I have to agree in a time where it is easy for people to be so mean a little piece of niceness to a stranger sure goes a long way.

Angie, I am SO sorry about your dog! I am glad Bella survived, I hope she is doing well. Thank you for sharing the story about the tile – another example of people reaching out simply to make someone feel better, with no agenda of their own.

86. patricia says

We recently lost our cat of 15 years. I think what you did for your daughter was wonderful and whomever decided to write back is also wonderful. Having lost many dogs in my lifetime I understand your daughter’s pain and sorrow. God bless the person who wanted to help her feel better about that pain.

87. Kerri says

You’re blog entry here came up when I was using the ‘stumbleupon’ website tonight, and I felt I had to say how touched I was by it. We need more people like that postal worker in this world, and it is people like them who at irregular intervals restore my faith in human nature. Thank you very much for sharing this :-)

88. K says

I’m not usually a religious person, but this is the sweetest thing I’ve ever read! It nearly made me cry.

you don’t have to be religious to see this as an uplifting thing – someone doing something good for someone else, with no agenda! :)

89. Ali says

What a beautiful story. I just lost my dog, Lukas,five days ago. He was 12 years old, wich is half my age right now, so he had been with me for a long long time and was my first dog. It’s amazing how dogs become so much more than pets. He was my best friend, loved me no matter what and i’ll never forget him. Your story made me cry, but it also made me happy because it made me think about all the good times we had. Thank you.

hi Ali, I am so sorry about Lukas, and I send you peace and comfort right now! Dogs are so much more than pets, they are a part of the family, they are friends. You will always have the great memories – think of those often!

90. Annette Mackey says

Great story. Thank you for sharing. It was a very creative way to handle such a delicate situation with your child. She will thank you someday when she grows up and has to deal with the same issue when raising her own children.

91. William says

I loved this story, i rarely feel the urge to tear up, but this story was just too beautiful. If only kindness like this was shared by everyone.

P.S. : Annette Mackey, stop stereotyping men it’s uncalled for and immature. Even if seth and steve are heartless.

92. Jillygirl says

There are such wonderful people on this earth taking care of our hearts and spirits when called upo, and I thank them ALL.

93. Robert says

I’m 18 years old, and my dog of 13 years just passed away a few days ago. He was old enough that I remember saying goodbye to him on my way to the first day of kindergarden, and then saying hello as I came back from my graduation. I “Stumbled” on this story and although I don’t personally believe in God, I can’t help but tear up in happiness when I read this again and again. Thanks for sharing!

Thank you for sharing, Robert! I am so SO sorry for your very recent loss. It sounds like you had many wonderful years, and those happy memories will be with you always!

94. Acutemuse says

The people who write heinous comments are called trolls. They are best to be ignored. I’m agnostic and I still think this story is sweet. One can appreciate the relationship between a child and a pet no matter what one’s world view is.

95. Laura says

Atheist here who is sobbing her eyes out. Feeling the pain of losing my childhood dog again, and missing her. Hugging my sweet current furry daughter tight & hoping the day I have to feel that pain again is eons away. Also very touched that this child was comforted so by a complete stranger.

thanks for commenting, Laura! sorry to bring the sadness of your childhood dog (I definitely know that feeling!), happy you have a furry one now to love! these kind of stories make us hug them tighter and appreciate them, right? :) have a great day, Laura!

96. deedee says

i dont believe in god.but ive just lost one of my dogs who i was especally close too and this made me cry although im not quite sure why.

hi deedee – I am very sorry for your loss – I know how hard that is. I respect your beliefs, and am happy this moved you as a touching story, regardless of those beliefs! have a great day, thanks for saying hello.

97. Sue says

Their statements are par for the course. It’s a sad day when talking about our Heavenly Father and easing the pain of a child can produce such acidic remarks. However, for us Christians, it’s another line of names on our prayer list. :)

and I thank you for that, Sue. it has been nice to see, though, that there have been a few self-proclaimed atheists here who DO get it – religion aside, it can still be a heartwarming story about giving, doing something nice for someone with no expectations in return.

98. CowgirlBoots says

Hey guys, this is beautiful, and I am so glad someone wrote back to her. God is love, but I believe the real Heaven exists, and this blog is about a 15 year old’s experiences there since she was 12. It’s really uplifting, would be worth it to check out :)

99. Sindee says

I was stumbling and found this. Thank you for sharing, really.
    We had lost a beloved dogs and cats, a beta… Well it was hard. We love our pets in my family. This is much the same as how I explained the loss to my boys. Then the unspeakable happened. My husband was killed in a car accident. I was very open with them both at 4 and 8. I never wanted it tobe something that would be swept under the rug. Having spoken of Heaven prior to my husbands death, I truly believe gave them both comfort, even if just a tiny bit. Me too!
    Reading your post just gave me a warm feeling. This person must have experienced something similar to have such a sensitive heart in response to your letter.
    What a special blessing <3

100. Sarah says

when I was little, I also wrote a letter to God about one of my stuffed animals who got lost. About a month later, I got a package as well with a new teddy bear. Someone from the post office was moved by my letter and sent me a teddy bear to replace my lost one. <3

oh – I LOVE your story! 😀 some really decent people out there, doing nice things for strangers… thank you for sharing!

101. Morgan says

Aw what a sweet story,it brought tears to my eyes! Thank you so much for sharing. I’m sorry to hear about your loss :(

102. Melanie says

My golden died a few weeks ago…all I can say is that this is amazing and whoever sent that package did an amazing thing for Abbey and her ability to have closure; very beautiful.

hi Melanie! so sorry about your golden – a hard thing to lose a pet, I hope you have many happy memories to look back on :)

this is so sweet – I am an atheist and can see the story for what it is, a stranger doing something nice for another being – very powerful and necessary!

Yup. Totally sobbing right now along with everyone else. What a beautiful person you are and it is clear that your daughter has inherited that same beauty. Can I move in with you guys??? :) Wow.

Yup. I am totally sobbing right now along with everyone else. You are such a beautiful person and it is clear that your daughter has inherited that same beauty. Can I move in with you guys??? :) Wow.

106. Collette says

thank you for sharing, and for creating a (mostly) civil discussion. it’s nice to see even (many!) people that don’t share the belief can see it’s a nice story.

107. Jane says

so sad that people read this the wrong way. I do not believe, yet can see the good in the tale. not all should be taken literally, what frustrating lives these people must lead.

thanks for sharing!

108. Alice says

I agree completely with the above, if you can see the sweet message for what it is for instead of fighting, your life will be easier!

109. we are the 99% says

THANK YOU FOR THIS!! wow, such a harmonious story, no matter your faith or if you have any! not to be taken literally, of course, this shows the human spirit at its most genuine and giving!

110. Denise says

yeah there might be facets of the story that are nice, however you are doing more harm to your kids by telling them these lies!! why would you allow that??

hi Denise, thanks for your opinion, ONCE AGAIN, this is not me!!

this is simply a story I shared!! although, I have to say if I did have children, I do not know if I would consider this “lying”.

111. PJ says

I was suggested this website by a colleague.
    I am not sure whether this has gotten significant attention LOL it seems there are many views! I believe it is a nice story. and thank you for sharing.

112. Keila says

awww, how can anyone think this is bad? you handle yourself well here, and thank you for sharing such a touching and wonderful story!

113. Chris says

thank you for this. we just losst our beloved dog, and my children are going through grief, we all are. my wife and I are getting them to focus on the good times and memories, and we will have a special event service for her.

hearing a story like this warms the heart at a difficult time. blessings,

Chris and Sandy

114. Anon says

If you read the full story you can see how the postal worker found out that the girl’s mother wrote the letter; it was in a PS, along with photos of the dog. And if you check the San Antonio express archives you can learn that the letter was collected by a postal worker, who dropped it off at a nearby church on his/her route. The letter was given to a church volunteer who answered it; it wasn’t a postal worker. The family received phone calls from many dog breeders around the country who offered to give them a puppy, which they declined, though they did get another dog later. The little girl knows that it was a person who responded and rather than feel lied to, she felt loved because someone took the time to do that for her. The mother was interviewed on a radio show in 2008 and said she believes in the power of anonymous kindnesses. Maybe rather than look at the religious slant to the letter, we could take a moment to focus on that aspect, and spread a little more good in the world.

115. Krya says

when our beloved Charlie (yellow lab) passed, we explained the whole process to our children (all under 5) and they were okay. they were very sad, but this is a better way to approach this, IMHO.

that said, I love this story. it shows the human spirit and how people should treat each other, with compassion, kindness and generosity.

116. Monoke says

Stop lying to your kids, seriously. I remember reading about the death and decay process when I was in first grade. Shouldn’t be THAT hard to explain to a kid.

And yes, I have had pets and they have died. Both of my parents have died. Everything. Dies. Get used to it.

117. Meredith Scrivener says

Everybody that left rude comments, you made me cry. I’m Meredith Scrivener. After reading this story again, I felt a little spark between God and I. It’s not lying and God is a real person. I keep Abbey’s collar in my room and look at it everyday as if I’m saying to Abbey, ” Save me a spot on your bed in heaven.” I’ve missed Abbey, and know that Abbey is one of God’s favorite dogs in heaven.

oh my gosh, is it really you? now you made ME cry, Meredith! (in a good way…) I am sorry you had to see the negative reactions to your most beautiful story. please know it has had far more impact in a positive way for so many! Abbey lives on in spirit, and is indeed saving that spot for you.

thank you so much for writing, Kristina

118. Scot says

you are doind your children a disservice by telling lies to your daughter why can’t she learn about reality

119. Allie says

my friend lost her pup today, I found this in a search for some words to cheer her. this is the sweetest story, thank you for sharing.

120. Stephene says

Thank you for sharing a wonderful story. But I do believe that telling your kids that God is real is a little lie. Even though I cannot prove I’ m right, I believe otherwise. But people, just because you don’t have the same belief as others, it doesn’t mean you have to leave nasty, rude, disturbing comments. Happy Saturday 😀

• Kristina Sloggett says

as long as people aren’t attacking or being offensive, I am open minded and know people have different opinions. 😀 cheers!

121. Ello says

Aww. I just lost my 2 beloved pups yesterday when they accidentally got run over. Now im sitting at the computer feeling like an idiot and bawling my eyes out.

122. Lindsay says

Hi Spabettie! I know this sounds crazy, but I have been looking to find Meredith! I was hoping to find a Twitter or Instagram or Facebook, and I just found the most awesome thing! She is starting a blog! I know i sound like an overly-excited middle-aged woman , but her story is such an inspiring tearjerker. LOL!
    Well, I’ll leave you to your blogging, but thanks for sharing the story!! Makes me cry every time.

• Kristina Sloggett says

hi Lindsay! thanks for sharing this, I will have to follow the blog for more posts from her. such a sweet story, I’m glad you like it too. :)

• Kristina Sloggett says

ALSO !! I just remembered this, and went to find her comment in the long list of them… Meredith herself left a comment a while back – comment # 375! thought you’d like to read that one. Cheers!