jason blogging!

I had a craving for fresh warm bread this morning. Jason made us some, then wrote about it!

Bread from that one time with Karaoke Drinks

3 Cups all-purpose flour
1 Allergy pill
1 Pack of highly active yeast
2 Tbsp agave honey
1 Tsp. Salt
1-2 Bottle of Noble Pig Pinot Blanc
Lots of that grassy Regusci olive oil we picked up in Napa
Lots of Botte Piccola balsamic vinegar

Place the bottle of Pinot in fridge and go out for Karaoke and vodka drinks. Β Wake up way too late for breakfast and contemplate what would best soak up the sins.

Take allergy pill with 1c cold water, because you know this will wreck the system and you have to go play drums for six hours this evening. Heat some water to 110-ish degrees, or until hot to the back of the hand. Pour 1c. water, 2tbsp honey and pack of yeast in a bowl. Β Froth this mixture with a hand mixer or whip. Let sit for a couple few.

Scoop 3c. flour into a bowl. Β Sift together flour and salt — not enough salt to taste, as that will kill the yeast. You’ll salt the olive oil later for taste. Add 2c. of that toasty water to flour/salt. Pour the frothy yeast brew into the flour and mix with a fork until things become difficult. Dump onto well floured surface and knead until unsticky. Form a ball. Grease said ball with the olive oil. Put the ball in a towel-covered bowl and set in front of heater, near the dog. Discourage the dog from eating it because it smells like tasty, terrific beer at this point. After 45min or an hour, it’ll be 2x in size and the dog will be quite anxious. Put the ball on the table again and flatten. Re-rise for 45min.

Dump — but otherwise don’t touch — the dough out of the bowl onto a cookie sheet covered with oil or parchment paper. Cook it for 30min on 425. Flick the outside of bread with finger, listening for “hollow” sound. Set oven for 15 more mins, repeating the flick flick flick, this time hearing a deep hollow foomp.

Pour a dish of oil and balsamic with salt to taste. Utterly dominate half the wine while you wait for Spabettie to take some pictures. Eat.

Comments

1. Val says

Jason is funny! He should definitely have a regular feature here… :) bread with olive oil and balsamic is the best!

2. Meagan says

I love how you can see the steam rising from the bread! That’s how you know it’s fresh.
    I like Jason’s way of cooking/baking!

I LOVE this post… hilarious way to start my day!! And I’m toooootally integrating the phrase “couple few” into my vocabulary. Fits right in with one of my favorites, “yeah, no.” πŸ˜‰

4. assistantdoc says

I love love love this post! Jason made me LOL for real. Hahahaha πŸ˜€ Good stuff. Funny men making warm delicious bread. Good stuff indeed!

5. Lynn says

I am requesting a JBBBQ (Jason Blogs a BBQ) and if possible I shall be present to witness the miracle evolve, if not I will just read about it. Maybe it will also involve swimming Basil or some related pool sequence.
    I look forward to this… πŸ˜‰

Hahaha, hi Jason! *wave* I initially thought that 1-2 bottles of wine would go into the dough! πŸ˜€ But apparently they’re needed to flush the bread down! πŸ˜€ πŸ˜€ Very nice! πŸ˜‰

Is that dough safe with Basil next to it? Or is Basil watching over it and protecting it? That would be a real foodie dachshund then – not protecting the house, but the dough to rise in peace. :)

7. spabettiemom says

Well done Jason!!!! I agree with Val…you need to be a guest post on
    Spabettie now and then…love that humor…thank you Kris for letting him share your space….and also I like comment from Lindsay…make it GF and it will be perfect…….it is quite a beautifully presented
    loaf however………..Love that Basil pup is guarding the rise…hee hee
    Nothing better than warm bread right out of the oven…mmmmmmm
    I can smell it now…..Love to you all from mom and ‘the boys’

LOL – the dog will be quite anxious. I love you, Jason! And now more than ever I know Billy and Jason would get along smashingly. All of us for that matter. Countdown to Austin?? (I envision vodka-induced British accents emerging…)

9. Tamra says

so is it 3 cups of water all together. 2 cups warm water plus the cup of water that has the yeast in it?

yes, Tamra – three cups water total for the recipe. sorry, just realizing water isn’t in the ingredients listing. thanks for reading!