popped quinoa and cheesy eggs

in Breakfast,Gluten Free,recipes

Okay, one more fun way to use quinoa. At least until next week.

I was craving cheesy eggs and toast for breakfast this morning. Without bread in the house, I entered quinoa into the equation, having some already made in the fridge. “Frying” quinoa in a skillet makes it pop, makes it crunchy and gives it the flavor of popcorn!

I’m hooked.

popped quinoa and cheesy eggs

serves one

1/2 cup cooked quinoa (mine was cooled)
2 ounces cheese, sliced thin (Soy Kaas)
2 eggs
sea salt

Spray skillet and heat to medium high. Add quinoa and cook for several minutes, until it begins to crisp and pop. Make two wells in the quinoa, crack eggs into wells. Top with cheese cubes and continue to cook a few minutes. Cover with lid for an additional minute or so, to cook the egg and melt cheese. Salt to taste.

Mmm, look at the crunchy tasty:

The creaminess of the cheese - Soy Kaas is amazing* - and the runny yolk is perfect with the crunchy flavorful popped quinoa.

Another soon-to-be standard in this house. Next time spinach will be added.

*Soy Kaas as a product line is not vegan. You have to make sure the label says vegan (two choices), or it will contain milk (casein). All of their products are lactose free.

1 katojo May 6, 2011 at 2:53 pm

This looks great, my friend. You will prepare for me?

2 spabettie May 6, 2011 at 6:05 pm

anytime!

3 Blog is the New Black May 6, 2011 at 2:59 pm

This looks wonderful! I love quinoa and how it pops in your mouth… I love the egg yolks all mixed in, too!

4 spabettie May 6, 2011 at 6:05 pm

yep – immediately after these two photos? all mixed up! :D

5 Tammi Kibler @ How Do You Cook Quinoa? May 6, 2011 at 3:06 pm

I love poached eggs over my leftover quinoa. It is fantastic with spinach and mushrooms, or any leftover veggies you have on hand.

6 spabettie May 6, 2011 at 6:05 pm

I love poached eggs – they remind me of my childhood :)

7 Sarena (The Non-Dairy Queen) May 6, 2011 at 3:19 pm

I’m eating fried eggs and gluten free toast right now…now I wish I would have read this first. I totally would have done this. It looks delicious.

8 spabettie May 6, 2011 at 6:04 pm

next time, Sarena! :)

9 Dinner at Christina's May 6, 2011 at 3:20 pm

This looks amazing! I’m so trying this next time I have some cooked quinoa!

10 spabettie May 6, 2011 at 6:02 pm

thanks, Christina! it’s really tasty – the popcorn-like flavor is a nice change!

11 Jessica @ Dairy Free Betty May 6, 2011 at 3:33 pm

This sounds sooo good.. I love eggs for breaky, so this is perfect!!

12 spabettie May 6, 2011 at 6:02 pm

it really was perfect. loved it! hope you have a great weekend, my friend!!

13 J3nn (Jenn's Menu and Lifestyle Blog) May 6, 2011 at 3:36 pm

That looks so delicious!! I bet spinach next ti e around will be even better. Or roasted Brussels. Ok, hungry now. :)

14 spabettie May 6, 2011 at 6:01 pm

if I liked brussels, I could see that, yes! I should really try them roasted, maybe I’d like them. with some garlic…? :)

15 Ally (oatsandspice) May 6, 2011 at 3:54 pm

Your quinoa looks delishhh! Have an amazing weekend chica!

16 spabettie May 6, 2011 at 6:00 pm

thank you, Allison! :) I hope your weekend is fab too!

17 chelsey @ clean eating chelsey May 6, 2011 at 4:10 pm

That looks incredible. I’ve been thinking about adding eggs back into my diet lately – I’m all over this recipe!

18 spabettie May 6, 2011 at 6:00 pm

Mmm, I hope this is the first egg you eat, then! :D

19 Jess@HealthyExposures May 6, 2011 at 4:30 pm

okay, so need to try frying/popping my quinoa now. that sounds and looks so good!

20 spabettie May 6, 2011 at 5:59 pm

it is SO good – really, like popcorny flavor!

21 Cookin' Canuck May 6, 2011 at 4:31 pm

This is brilliant! I have never thought to pop quinoa. This is definitely on my list to try.

22 spabettie May 6, 2011 at 5:59 pm

it’s SO good – some crunchy, some fluffy, great flavor!

23 Jenn L @ Peas and Crayons May 6, 2011 at 4:51 pm

duh, genius =)

24 spabettie May 6, 2011 at 5:58 pm

right? :D

25 Claire @ Un Bello Aperitivo May 6, 2011 at 5:36 pm

Wow, popping quinoa! What an unique idea…it looks so fluffy on the plate. Please, keep the quinoa recipes coming! I’ve got a HUGE bag to use up!

26 spabettie May 6, 2011 at 5:58 pm

I think the white / yellow / natural? quinoa is the fluffiest – definitely my favorite. okay, I will come up with more recipes! :D

27 lindsay May 6, 2011 at 5:50 pm

okay really, these are my 2 favorites! and i love runny eggs…….like really runny!

28 spabettie May 6, 2011 at 5:57 pm

I love runny yolks too… (white HAS to be cooked for me!) and they are especially good over quinoa… :)

29 Holly @ The Runny Egg May 6, 2011 at 7:58 pm

Runny eggs are the best! :)

This looks super delicious.

30 spabettie May 7, 2011 at 1:16 pm

I agree, Holly at The Runny Egg! :D I think you’d really like this…

31 Leanne @ Healthful Pursuit May 7, 2011 at 4:47 am

:| mmmm yum!

32 spabettie May 7, 2011 at 1:04 pm

33 Pure2raw twins May 7, 2011 at 6:38 am

oh my this looks wonderful!! love runny eggs

34 spabettie May 7, 2011 at 1:04 pm

me too!!

35 Leanne @ Healthful Pursuit May 7, 2011 at 10:43 am

I just made this for lunch and I’m loving it! It’s too hot right now, so I’m letting it cool. I had a hard time getting the eggs fully cooked [runny eggs freak me out!] so I just put it in the microwave for 30 seconds [I'm impatient] I made it on a bed of zucchini and added black beans… the few hot bites I did have were deeelcious!

36 spabettie May 7, 2011 at 12:32 pm

oooh, yours sounds great, Leanne! I was out of spinach yesterday but I wanted to add it. I like runny YOLK, but the whites have to be completely cooked for me! I poke a few holes in the whites as they cook, that helps… also at the end I covered the pan for a minute or two, that helped. microwave works too, I’ve done that :) glad you liked it – SO tasty, right?

37 Kelly @ Laughter, Strength, and Food May 7, 2011 at 12:00 pm

Oh my gosh does this look amazing! Quinoa is one of my family’s favorite things to eat and I am definitely going to share this recipe with my mom! :-)

38 spabettie May 7, 2011 at 12:28 pm

quinoa is my favorite too… I guess eating it so much I start to do things like this with it! :D I hope your mom loves it!

39 marc May 7, 2011 at 12:19 pm

so was the quinoa cooked the night before and then popped or are you talking dry roasting quinoa until it starts popping and then the juices from the egss cook the quinoa through? Looks great.

40 spabettie May 7, 2011 at 12:26 pm

the quinoa was pre cooked – I had extra in the fridge. I put the quinoa in the (sprayed/ buttered) pan alone for several minutes, it starts to “fry” and after a bit some of them pop! I added the egg after and cook it through, the quinoa continues to pop and brown. VERY tasty!! :D

41 Kath (My Funny Little Life) May 7, 2011 at 2:45 pm

Ah, I can’t help it, but for quinoa is a little weird. :D I may have some eggs over brown rice soon, though. ;)

42 spabettie May 7, 2011 at 3:03 pm

YES – that sounds good too – and CUCKOO can help!! <3

43 Kath (My Funny Little Life) May 7, 2011 at 2:45 pm

… for ME …

(I hate my typos.)

44 spabettie May 7, 2011 at 3:02 pm

I know – me too… just say it’s because you are excitedly typing! :D that’s why I usually do… other times I can blame my “smart” phone!! ;)

45 Jenn@slim-shoppin May 7, 2011 at 4:13 pm

I did not know that about quinoa! I’m totally going to make this!

I sometimes do warm quinoa, chopped cooked egg, turkey bacon, green onions and cheese and mix it altogether, but I love your idea :)

46 Christin@purplebirdblog May 8, 2011 at 11:55 am

I am madly in love with the idea of cooking the eggs in the quinoa like that! And you know I totally read this as “pooped quinoa,” right? ;) Happy mother’s day, dog-mama! xoxo

47 Jenny (Fit Girl Foodie) May 8, 2011 at 6:58 pm

I’ve made quinoa topped with eggs before but never with cheese too! Omg how delicious, gonna make asap!

48 Heather @ Kiss My Broccoli May 8, 2011 at 7:33 pm

Like popcorn? For serious?? Oh I am all over that! That’s it, I’m making quinoa NOW for breakfast in the morning!

49 Heather @ Kiss My Broccoli May 10, 2011 at 3:16 pm

Omg, I totally forgot to tell you! I fixed this for breakfast Monday morning and it was so FABULOUS that I made it again this morning!! I absolutely LOVED it and couldn’t believe how filling it was! YUM!

50 Julia @ The Spotted Sparrow May 9, 2011 at 1:39 am

This is cooking on the stove as I type and I am trying not to drool on myself. Nom nom nom!

51 Jesse May 9, 2011 at 9:50 am

oh great idea, i almost always have leftover quinoa or cous cous in my fridge:)

52 DessertForTwo May 9, 2011 at 8:07 pm

What a great idea! I’m always craving bread but rarely keep it in the house because it goes stale. But I quinoa keeps so well! Thanks :)

53 Carrie August 17, 2012 at 9:23 pm

do you still eat eggs?

54 Morgan @ My Name is Morgan and I'm a Pumpholic May 11, 2011 at 7:14 pm

I never would’ve thought of this! My friend’s mom always used to make us scrambled eggs with rice, with a ton of butter mind you (I think she may have been related to Paula Deen). I must try this soon!

55 Namaste gurl May 11, 2011 at 8:57 pm

What a genius you are- this looks muy excellente and nutritious! SOOOOO making when I want eggs next :) Love how you use quinoa too- my fav grain :)

56 Emily May 12, 2011 at 12:54 pm

Wow. Best idea ever. I found your link from Kristen’s blog and now I have to copy both of you. Can’t wait!

57 Jane May 14, 2011 at 10:06 am

Yum. I’ve been trying different ways to change up the standard eggs. I just added quinoa to my grocery list so I can give this a try.

58 Gillian June 19, 2011 at 8:24 pm

I’ve made this quite a few times and just have to say that you are an absolute genius.
It’s flippin’ delicious!

just featured it on my blog: http://heartviastomach.wordpress.com/2011/06/20/popped-quinoa-a-la-spabettie/

THANK YOU!

59 Susan June 25, 2011 at 9:12 am

I just made this for brunch…bed of spinach and mushrooms. First ever fried egg and it worked perfectly. Too bad I only had one egg left…

60 spabettie June 25, 2011 at 8:17 pm

hi Susan! so happy you liked it – and glad your first fried egg was perfect! :D

61 Marie October 26, 2011 at 5:52 pm

we just had these for dinner – SO inventive and SO yummy!! thank you, Bettie!

62 Judi November 11, 2011 at 5:12 pm

I thought you were vegan, and that your website promoted vegan recipes. Needless to say, I was disappointed to see this recipe on here.

63 spabettie November 11, 2011 at 5:35 pm

hi Judi, I am vegan and this site does have vegan recipes; this quinoa recipe is from six months ago, when I was a vegetarian, still mainly (90%) vegan. I am sorry to disappoint.

64 Tori November 11, 2011 at 7:19 pm

Since when are eggs VEGAN???

65 spabettie November 14, 2011 at 8:34 am

hi Tori, as you might notice, these are the only comments I approved of yours.

first, they seem to be in response to others recent comments on this, a six month old post I am suddenly seeing comments on. no matter how sarcastic your comments are, I chose to leave them so I could address them.

second, I see you are searching this site looking for ways to call me out. yes, this website features recipes that are vegan. this site also features recipes from a time when my diet was not 100% plant based. I have never labeled myself as such, and while for many years my diet has been mainly plant based, I have never set that expectation.

This is exactly why I do not like to use labels EXCEPT for recipe purposes. I definitely have my own reasons for choosing the foods I do, and I would never impose my reasons on to others. I help people when they ask me, and try to let them know that most people are compassionate with their message.

you can continue to leave comments on each and every “non vegan” post here, but the comments will no longer be approved if they continue in this tone.

66 Tori November 11, 2011 at 7:20 pm

WOW YOU FOUND VEG EGG?!!

67 veggiemom November 12, 2011 at 10:20 am

I have to say I am also disappointed. You should remove this or stop calling your self vegan!

68 spabettie November 14, 2011 at 8:09 am

hi veggiemom.

I am responding here since you didn’t leave a valid email; I am not approving your second comment, it did not add anything constructive and I do not want that language here. this is exactly why I DO NOT “call myself vegan” – I only use this to label a recipe. I have my own reasons for the foods I choose to eat, and none of them include judgement.

I am sorry to disappoint, and to provoke the vicious responses you left on this post from half a year ago; I’m sure the other recent responses appreciate your support.

69 Alison Meier November 20, 2011 at 8:46 pm

I love the popped quinoa idea, and if it tastes like popcorn!???!! :) I will be trying, thank you!

70 spabettie November 23, 2011 at 10:55 pm

thanks, Alison! yep, the popped quinoa is SO GOOD… just like popcorn!

71 Grandma Wrinkles December 20, 2011 at 4:04 pm

really? attacking you for eating an egg? kudos to you for handling these so well, lady.

72 Dee January 21, 2012 at 6:53 pm

I really like ur blog and I think ur recipe looks awesome…ignore the judgemental vegans posting here…some ppl just have nothing better to do than spew venom. I belong to a recipe club and it seems the ppl who are the most critical of others recipes, never have any of their own recipes posted or an email open for response…I say they are just jealous that they have no creative cooking tips like u do.
I started using quinoa a few yrs ago and make several diff kinds of salads as well as use it for cereal in the mornings(cooked) I am now going to treat is as grits and make it with eggs. I have heard of popped quinoa b4 but tha was raw popped, not cooked popped. Have u tried it that way? I haven’t yet so wondered how it turns out.

73 spabettie January 24, 2012 at 9:44 am

THANK YOU, Dee! they make veganism SO difficult sometimes – it’s a turnoff.

I have not popped it dry – although I keep meaning to. If I do I will let you know! :)

74 Dee February 10, 2012 at 4:29 pm

This recipe is amazing and I have made it several times at this point. I make my own variation as I am not vegan or vegetarian. I use 2 Tbl of sharp cheddar cheese on the eggs and add homemade pico e gallo and 1 Tbl light sour cream to the top..It’s OMG good. Thank for the great idea that has become my new favorite breakfast. I love ur idea of adding spinach too…next time. I just got ur awesome 7 layer dip recipe in my email..that will be next on my adgenda…It looks so good…the pix made my mouth water. I love unique recipes that use quinoa in new ways. thanx, Dee

75 spabettie February 11, 2012 at 4:18 pm

hi Dee, thanks for letting me know! I love quinoa, and popping it is still one of my favorite flavors. SO good. your additions sound good too! and I hope you like the 7 layer dip – another favorite of ours! :) cheers, Kris

76 Michelle February 10, 2012 at 6:22 pm

Just thought I’d pop in (ha!) and say I tried this for dinner tonight and it was WONDERFUL! Sad to see some of the snark that’s been directed your way. You handled it very well!!

77 spabettie February 11, 2012 at 4:02 pm

thanks for popping in (hee, love it!) and saying hello! so happy you like this, doesn’t it taste good? and thank you… some people can be judgmental and make it negative. I just keep on doing what I do… ;)

78 Grandma Wrinkles April 18, 2012 at 4:41 am

what?? head, exploded. where DO you come up with it all??

DMW

79 Basia May 23, 2012 at 8:29 am

great idea, a lovely meal idea! always looking for new things with quinoa ideas.

80 Valerie February 2, 2013 at 10:39 am

Wow! I just found this recipe on Pinterest! I have recently started eating Quinoa again and have been looking for recipes for it. I heard you could pop it like popcorn, but this is not what I had pictured doing it! LOL I would have thrown it is a pot with oil like the old fashion way of making popcorn! LOL This sound great! Can’t wait to try it! Thanks! Valerie

81 Kristina Sloggett February 2, 2013 at 1:20 pm

that way may work too? I don’t know… ;) this has been a very popular recipe, I hope you like it as much as everyone else!