popped quinoa and cheesy eggs

Okay, one more fun way to use quinoa. At least until next week.

I was craving cheesy eggs and toast for breakfast this morning. Without bread in the house, I enteredย quinoa into the equation, having some already made in the fridge. “Frying” quinoa in a skillet makes it pop, makes it crunchy and gives it the flavor of popcorn!

I’m hooked.

popped quinoa and cheesy eggs

serves one

1/2 cup cooked quinoa (mine was cooled)
2 ounces cheese, sliced thin (Soy Kaas)
2 eggs
sea salt

Spray skillet and heat to medium high. Add quinoa and cook for several minutes, until it begins to crisp and pop. Make two wells in the quinoa, crack eggs into wells. Top with cheese cubes and continue to cook a few minutes. Cover with lid for an additional minute or so, to cook the egg and melt cheese. Salt to taste.

Mmm, look at the crunchy tasty:

The creaminess of the cheese –ย Soy Kaas is amazing* – and the runny yolk is perfect with the crunchy flavorful popped quinoa.

Another soon-to-be standard in this house. Next time spinach will be added.

*Soy Kaas as a product line is not vegan. You have to make sure the label says vegan (two choices), or it will contain milk (casein). All of their products are lactose free.

Comments

if I liked brussels, I could see that, yes! I should really try them roasted, maybe I’d like them. with some garlic…? :)

I think the white / yellow / natural? quinoa is the fluffiest – definitely my favorite. okay, I will come up with more recipes! ๐Ÿ˜€

I love runny yolks too… (white HAS to be cooked for me!) and they are especially good over quinoa… :)

I just made this for lunch and I’m loving it! It’s too hot right now, so I’m letting it cool. I had a hard time getting the eggs fully cooked [runny eggs freak me out!] so I just put it in the microwave for 30 seconds [I’m impatient] I made it on a bed of zucchini and added black beans… the few hot bites I did have were deeelcious!

oooh, yours sounds great, Leanne! I was out of spinach yesterday but I wanted to add it. I like runny YOLK, but the whites have to be completely cooked for me! I poke a few holes in the whites as they cook, that helps… also at the end I covered the pan for a minute or two, that helped. microwave works too, I’ve done that :) glad you liked it – SO tasty, right?

quinoa is my favorite too… I guess eating it so much I start to do things like this with it! ๐Ÿ˜€ I hope your mom loves it!

2. marc says

so was the quinoa cooked the night before and then popped or are you talking dry roasting quinoa until it starts popping and then the juices from the egss cook the quinoa through? Looks great.

the quinoa was pre cooked – I had extra in the fridge. I put the quinoa in the (sprayed/ buttered) pan alone for several minutes, it starts to “fry” and after a bit some of them pop! I added the egg after and cook it through, the quinoa continues to pop and brown. VERY tasty!! ๐Ÿ˜€

I know – me too… just say it’s because you are excitedly typing! ๐Ÿ˜€ that’s why I usually do… other times I can blame my “smart” phone!! ๐Ÿ˜‰

I did not know that about quinoa! I’m totally going to make this!

I sometimes do warm quinoa, chopped cooked egg, turkey bacon, green onions and cheese and mix it altogether, but I love your idea :)

Yum. I’ve been trying different ways to change up the standard eggs. I just added quinoa to my grocery list so I can give this a try.

5. Susan says

I just made this for brunch…bed of spinach and mushrooms. First ever fried egg and it worked perfectly. Too bad I only had one egg left…

6. Judi says

I thought you were vegan, and that your website promoted vegan recipes. Needless to say, I was disappointed to see this recipe on here.

hi Judi, I am vegan and this site does have vegan recipes; this quinoa recipe is from six months ago, when I was a vegetarian, still mainly (90%) vegan. I am sorry to disappoint.

hi Tori, as you might notice, these are the only comments I approved of yours.

first, they seem to be in response to others recent comments on this, a six month old post I am suddenly seeing comments on. no matter how sarcastic your comments are, I chose to leave them so I could address them.

second, I see you are searching this site looking for ways to call me out. yes, this website features recipes that are vegan. this site also features recipes from a time when my diet was not 100% plant based. I have never labeled myself as such, and while for many years my diet has been mainly plant based, I have never set that expectation.

This is exactly why I do not like to use labels EXCEPT for recipe purposes. I definitely have my own reasons for choosing the foods I do, and I would never impose my reasons on to others. I help people when they ask me, and try to let them know that most people are compassionate with their message.

you can continue to leave comments on each and every “non vegan” post here, but the comments will no longer be approved if they continue in this tone.

hi veggiemom.

I am responding here since you didn’t leave a valid email; I am not approving your second comment, it did not add anything constructive and I do not want that language here. this is exactly why I DO NOT “call myself vegan” – I only use this to label a recipe. I have my own reasons for the foods I choose to eat, and none of them include judgement.

I am sorry to disappoint, and to provoke the vicious responses you left on this post from half a year ago; I’m sure the other recent responses appreciate your support.

7. Dee says

I really like ur blog and I think ur recipe looks awesome…ignore the judgemental vegans posting here…some ppl just have nothing better to do than spew venom. I belong to a recipe club and it seems the ppl who are the most critical of others recipes, never have any of their own recipes posted or an email open for response…I say they are just jealous that they have no creative cooking tips like u do.
    I started using quinoa a few yrs ago and make several diff kinds of salads as well as use it for cereal in the mornings(cooked) I am now going to treat is as grits and make it with eggs. I have heard of popped quinoa b4 but tha was raw popped, not cooked popped. Have u tried it that way? I haven’t yet so wondered how it turns out.

THANK YOU, Dee! they make veganism SO difficult sometimes – it’s a turnoff.

I have not popped it dry – although I keep meaning to. If I do I will let you know! :)

• Dee says

This recipe is amazing and I have made it several times at this point. I make my own variation as I am not vegan or vegetarian. I use 2 Tbl of sharp cheddar cheese on the eggs and add homemade pico e gallo and 1 Tbl light sour cream to the top..It’s OMG good. Thank for the great idea that has become my new favorite breakfast. I love ur idea of adding spinach too…next time. I just got ur awesome 7 layer dip recipe in my email..that will be next on my adgenda…It looks so good…the pix made my mouth water. I love unique recipes that use quinoa in new ways. thanx, Dee

hi Dee, thanks for letting me know! I love quinoa, and popping it is still one of my favorite flavors. SO good. your additions sound good too! and I hope you like the 7 layer dip – another favorite of ours! :) cheers, Kris

Just thought I’d pop in (ha!) and say I tried this for dinner tonight and it was WONDERFUL! Sad to see some of the snark that’s been directed your way. You handled it very well!!

thanks for popping in (hee, love it!) and saying hello! so happy you like this, doesn’t it taste good? and thank you… some people can be judgmental and make it negative. I just keep on doing what I do… ๐Ÿ˜‰

9. Valerie says

Wow! I just found this recipe on Pinterest! I have recently started eating Quinoa again and have been looking for recipes for it. I heard you could pop it like popcorn, but this is not what I had pictured doing it! LOL I would have thrown it is a pot with oil like the old fashion way of making popcorn! LOL This sound great! Can’t wait to try it! Thanks! Valerie

• Kristina Sloggett says

that way may work too? I don’t know… ๐Ÿ˜‰ this has been a very popular recipe, I hope you like it as much as everyone else!

Trackbacks

1. […] was something that I have been majorly obsessed with the past few months: popped quinoa and cheesy eggs (made with vegan Daiya cheese) that I topped with sriracha and sea salt. ย SO good. ย Oh, and what […]