spicy cinnamon three bean chili

Sunday night I was writing my shopping list and meal plan, and asked Jason what he wanted for dinner this week. His answer?

Chili over quinoa.

While it’s sunnier lately and not raining every day, it is still cold enough for comfort food like chili. Cook in a slow cooker all day chili. Spicy warmed with cinnamon chili.

spicy cinnamon three bean chili

dairy, soy, gluten free, vegan

1 large onion, diced
3 garlic cloves, minced
1 bell pepper, diced
1 jalapeno pepper, minced
3 fresh tomatoes, chopped
1 can black beans, drained
1 can kidney beans, drained
1 can pinto beans, drained
2-3 tablespoons cinnamon
1 tablespoon chili powder

Dice onion, mince garlic and sautΓ©. While sautΓ©ing, chop tomatoes and bell peppers. Add beans, tomatoes, peppers and spices to slow cooker, turn on high. Add onions and garlic, cover and cook on high for 75 minutes. Reduce temperature to low and continue to cook for 4 to 5 hours.

Serve over spinach and quinoa, garnish with jalapeno.

Jason said I used the right amount of cinnamon here, that you should smell it and not quite taste it. I love the cinnamon flavor with the spicy peppers. This recipe makes a full pot of chili, enough for a couple containers to freeze.

and leftovers…

Are you transitioning to lighter foods for spring and summer, or
is it still snowing where you are? :)

I love chili — I just made some last night too! Even though it is getting warmer out, I seem to always crave hot foods! But I definitely like having cooler, fresher foods in the summertime too.

I always want fresh and COOL foods in the summer, but we are FAR from that yet!! :) chili all the way still!

This looks fantastic and like a warm bowl/plate of comfort. I’ve never had chili over quinoa but may need to try it! It was sweltering yesterday but today I had to whip out a sweatshirt since there’s a little chill in the air with the rain.

Still snowing? Ugg… we’ve had pretty nice weather up here, not amazing but nice!!

I haven’t had chili in forever… I always add a bit of cinnamon too, I love that extra spice in it!!

Have a great day!!

no snow HERE, but we are still having frost warnings… but there is still snow in other areas, GEEZ! cinnamony chili is the best, yes?

Mm, chili! I’ve never thought to add cinnamon–that sounds like a great addition. I’ve noticed I suddenly want fresh fruits and veggies rather than casseroles and stews–so it’s definitely time to start on the summer food!

I always crave fresh veggies and fruit and just lighter meals in general during spring and summer months – but we are NOT there yet!! πŸ˜€

This looks SO good! I love cinnamon in chili (and brown sugar actually) – but never make it that way myself.

I definitely don’t change my foods based on the weather – I tend to eat soups and chili all year long! And if it’s hot out I just crank the AC or scarf down some ice cream after dinner to cool off!

Mmm, brown sugar! I’ll have to try that also! I tend to eat lighter most of the time in summer months, but we are SO not there yet! πŸ˜€

yes – make this! :) chili quinoa is the new chili mac! it was SO good this way! thank you for the photo compliments πŸ˜€

Wow! Never thought to add cinnamon to chili! That looks delicious (and why does it seem like everytime I comment, I think the same thing…why am I reading this at lunch…all I want to do is eat what she made, not my salad and hard-boiled egg, LOL)

aw, sorry to ruin your lunch, but thank you! :) that’s a compliment πŸ˜€ and yes – next time you make chili, add cinnamon! even if you just add it to a single bowl to try it! it’s SO good!

I don’t even really like chili all that much, but your pic is so gorgeous that I WANT it!

And I made a big batch of soup on the weekend—it might be lihgt out until after 9pm, but when the temp drops toward freezing overnight (and I’m still looking at snow out my office window…), summery foods feel a long way off!

Happy to see you back!

thank you!! good to BE back. πŸ˜€ (for a short time… we’re about to leave on vacation!)

yes, our days look like spring around here, and night time we still have FROST warnings. no garden planting for me yet – I’m hoping when I return from vacation I can! πŸ˜€

No snow anymore here, thank god. I did dream last night that I woke up for my run, and there were two feet of fresh snow on the ground. I’m glad it was just a dream [nightmare].

I love the idea of adding cinnamon to chili, but since my partner doesn’t really care for cinammon, I think I’ll just add a dash to my own bowl the next time I make some.

Happy Wednesday!

I think adding cinnamon after the fact to your own bowl will be much the same – great flavor!

glad that snow was just a dream!! no snow here either, but we still get frost warnings, and I’m hearing about snow in other areas!

I’m not gonna lie to you, I love you a little bit more since you put it over quinoa and spinach! I eat chili year round! I just put it on my salads in the warmer months. Chili cheesy fries are amazing too while hanging out on the patio! This looks delicious! Oh and I don’t do cinnamon in mine, I do vinegar. I need to get over my fear of cinnamon in savory foods. I think I need to challenge myself to just do something with it.

yes – I think all my chili will be over quinoa now! chili quinoa is the new chili mac! πŸ˜€

yes – chili quinoa is the new chili-mac! πŸ˜€ no snow here, but still cold and we’re getting frost warnings. no garden yet.

BEAUTIFUL photography as usual m’dear! Love the shot of the scattered veggies! I’ve made chili with pumpkin, cinnamon, and chipotle once and it was great! I really want to try adding cocoa next! And I will definitely serve it over quinoa! Why have I never thought of that?

I keep going back and forth on light springy and warm and cozy meals since the weather is being a little crazy! Like it will.not.stop.raining! Ugh!

thank you – I’m continuing to learn photography and it’s very exciting, so I really appreciate the compliment. :) yep – chili quinoa is the new chili mac! πŸ˜€

oh, I hope you make it – its delicious! we haven’t had snow, but I’ve heard some areas still are – crazy!

Quinoa is great so many things to do with it. And cinnamon is another great spice that just so fun to play with in savory dishes that really makes them unique; I think :)

quinoa is my favorite, and I kinda took a break from it for a bit… Jason has changed his tune and LOVES it now, so I’ve been using it a lot again. and the cinnamon thing I actually learned from Jason, my midwest boy! πŸ˜€