spicy cinnamon three bean chili

in Dinner, Gluten Free, recipes, Vegan

Sunday night I was writing my shopping list and meal plan, and asked Jason what he wanted for dinner this week. His answer?

Chili over quinoa.

While it’s sunnier lately and not raining every day, it is still cold enough for comfort food like chili. Cook in a slow cooker all day chili. Spicy warmed with cinnamon chili.

spicy cinnamon three bean chili

dairy, soy, gluten free, vegan

1 large onion, diced
3 garlic cloves, minced
1 bell pepper, diced
1 jalapeno pepper, minced
3 fresh tomatoes, chopped
1 can black beans, drained
1 can kidney beans, drained
1 can pinto beans, drained
2-3 tablespoons cinnamon
1 tablespoon chili powder

Dice onion, mince garlic and sauté. While sautéing, chop tomatoes and bell peppers. Add beans, tomatoes, peppers and spices to slow cooker, turn on high. Add onions and garlic, cover and cook on high for 75 minutes. Reduce temperature to low and continue to cook for 4 to 5 hours.

Serve over spinach and quinoa, garnish with jalapeno.

Jason said I used the right amount of cinnamon here, that you should smell it and not quite taste it. I love the cinnamon flavor with the spicy peppers. This recipe makes a full pot of chili, enough for a couple containers to freeze.

and leftovers…

Are you transitioning to lighter foods for spring and summer, or
is it still snowing where you are? :)

1 Heather (Where's the Beach) May 4, 2011 at 5:31 am

OMG – loving this idea. I have actually been wanting chili lately too. Not sure what that’s all about. Maybe one last batch before the heat of summer sets in on us.

2 spabettie May 5, 2011 at 8:07 pm

yes – one more batch of chili, put it over quinoa – YUM !

3 Holly @ The Runny Egg May 4, 2011 at 5:51 am

I love chili — I just made some last night too! Even though it is getting warmer out, I seem to always crave hot foods! But I definitely like having cooler, fresher foods in the summertime too.

4 spabettie May 5, 2011 at 8:06 pm

I always want fresh and COOL foods in the summer, but we are FAR from that yet!! :) chili all the way still!

5 Carly D. @ CarlyBananas May 4, 2011 at 5:53 am

Did you know that cinnamon is my favorite thing ever? This looks so good!!! You always give me the best meal ideas :)

6 spabettie May 5, 2011 at 8:05 pm

I love cinnamon too!! aw, thanks, Carly! I wish I could have you over for dinner! <3

7 Tiffany @ Simply Shaka May 4, 2011 at 6:17 am

This looks fantastic and like a warm bowl/plate of comfort. I’ve never had chili over quinoa but may need to try it! It was sweltering yesterday but today I had to whip out a sweatshirt since there’s a little chill in the air with the rain.

8 spabettie May 5, 2011 at 8:05 pm

chili quinoa is the new chili mac!! :D

9 Jessica @ Dairy Free Betty May 4, 2011 at 6:45 am

Still snowing? Ugg… we’ve had pretty nice weather up here, not amazing but nice!!

I haven’t had chili in forever… I always add a bit of cinnamon too, I love that extra spice in it!!

Have a great day!!

10 spabettie May 5, 2011 at 8:04 pm

no snow HERE, but we are still having frost warnings… but there is still snow in other areas, GEEZ! cinnamony chili is the best, yes?

11 Allie May 4, 2011 at 6:47 am

Mm, chili! I’ve never thought to add cinnamon–that sounds like a great addition. I’ve noticed I suddenly want fresh fruits and veggies rather than casseroles and stews–so it’s definitely time to start on the summer food!

12 spabettie May 5, 2011 at 8:03 pm

I always crave fresh veggies and fruit and just lighter meals in general during spring and summer months – but we are NOT there yet!! :D

13 Theresa @ActiveEggplant.com May 4, 2011 at 7:03 am

This looks SO good! I love cinnamon in chili (and brown sugar actually) – but never make it that way myself.

I definitely don’t change my foods based on the weather – I tend to eat soups and chili all year long! And if it’s hot out I just crank the AC or scarf down some ice cream after dinner to cool off!

14 spabettie May 5, 2011 at 8:02 pm

Mmm, brown sugar! I’ll have to try that also! I tend to eat lighter most of the time in summer months, but we are SO not there yet! :D

15 JL goes Vegan May 4, 2011 at 8:55 am

Love this recipe but, even more, I love how you served it, over quinoa and raw greens. Must copy soon! Gorgeous pics.

16 spabettie May 5, 2011 at 8:00 pm

yes – make this! :) chili quinoa is the new chili mac! it was SO good this way! thank you for the photo compliments :D

17 Jess May 4, 2011 at 9:18 am

Wow! Never thought to add cinnamon to chili! That looks delicious (and why does it seem like everytime I comment, I think the same thing…why am I reading this at lunch…all I want to do is eat what she made, not my salad and hard-boiled egg, LOL)

18 spabettie May 5, 2011 at 7:59 pm

aw, sorry to ruin your lunch, but thank you! :) that’s a compliment :D and yes – next time you make chili, add cinnamon! even if you just add it to a single bowl to try it! it’s SO good!

19 lindsay May 4, 2011 at 9:22 am

quinoa and chili just go hand in hand these days. COmfort meets healthy…..and SPICY!

20 spabettie May 5, 2011 at 7:56 pm

you said it – exactly! :)

21 S @ extremebalance.net/blog May 4, 2011 at 9:32 am

I don’t even really like chili all that much, but your pic is so gorgeous that I WANT it!

And I made a big batch of soup on the weekend—it might be lihgt out until after 9pm, but when the temp drops toward freezing overnight (and I’m still looking at snow out my office window…), summery foods feel a long way off!

Happy to see you back!

22 spabettie May 5, 2011 at 7:56 pm

thank you!! good to BE back. :D (for a short time… we’re about to leave on vacation!)

yes, our days look like spring around here, and night time we still have FROST warnings. no garden planting for me yet – I’m hoping when I return from vacation I can! :D

23 Lisa Fine May 4, 2011 at 10:26 am

No snow anymore here, thank god. I did dream last night that I woke up for my run, and there were two feet of fresh snow on the ground. I’m glad it was just a dream [nightmare].

I love the idea of adding cinnamon to chili, but since my partner doesn’t really care for cinammon, I think I’ll just add a dash to my own bowl the next time I make some.

Happy Wednesday!

24 spabettie May 5, 2011 at 7:51 pm

I think adding cinnamon after the fact to your own bowl will be much the same – great flavor!

glad that snow was just a dream!! no snow here either, but we still get frost warnings, and I’m hearing about snow in other areas!

25 Sarena (The Non-Dairy Queen) May 4, 2011 at 1:44 pm

I’m not gonna lie to you, I love you a little bit more since you put it over quinoa and spinach! I eat chili year round! I just put it on my salads in the warmer months. Chili cheesy fries are amazing too while hanging out on the patio! This looks delicious! Oh and I don’t do cinnamon in mine, I do vinegar. I need to get over my fear of cinnamon in savory foods. I think I need to challenge myself to just do something with it.

26 spabettie May 5, 2011 at 7:49 pm

yes – I think all my chili will be over quinoa now! chili quinoa is the new chili mac! :D

27 Kath (My Funny Little Life) May 4, 2011 at 1:55 pm

This looks delicious, and I absolutely adore the addition of cinnamon (lots of cinnamon! :D) to savory dishes! Also, I’m thinking about legumes a lot lately …

28 spabettie May 5, 2011 at 7:47 pm

I LOVE cinnamon – and adding it to savory is just a treat!

29 Traci (faithfulfoodiefashionista) May 4, 2011 at 3:12 pm

This looks Fab!!!! Yummy :)

30 spabettie May 5, 2011 at 7:47 pm

thanks, Traci.

31 janetha @ meals & moves May 4, 2011 at 3:27 pm

I love that you put it over quinoa. YUM. It is still cold here in Utah.. had chili last week!

32 spabettie May 5, 2011 at 7:42 pm

yes – chili quinoa is the new chili-mac! :D no snow here, but still cold and we’re getting frost warnings. no garden yet.

33 (what runs) Lori May 4, 2011 at 3:29 pm

Gah! Gorgeous. Delicious. Colorful. Yummy.

All descriptions I’d like to eat right now. :)

34 spabettie May 5, 2011 at 7:41 pm

I wish you could come over… I would feed you! :D

35 birdie to be May 4, 2011 at 3:47 pm

You have some great looking recipes! YUM

36 spabettie May 5, 2011 at 7:41 pm

thank you!

37 Cookin' Canuck May 4, 2011 at 6:02 pm

Chili over quinoa is a brilliant idea. This is so colorful and tempting.

38 spabettie May 5, 2011 at 7:33 pm

thank you, Dara! your complement and comment means a lot. :)

39 Heather @ kissmybroccoli May 4, 2011 at 8:01 pm

BEAUTIFUL photography as usual m’dear! Love the shot of the scattered veggies! I’ve made chili with pumpkin, cinnamon, and chipotle once and it was great! I really want to try adding cocoa next! And I will definitely serve it over quinoa! Why have I never thought of that?

I keep going back and forth on light springy and warm and cozy meals since the weather is being a little crazy! Like it will.not.stop.raining! Ugh!

40 spabettie May 5, 2011 at 7:18 pm

thank you – I’m continuing to learn photography and it’s very exciting, so I really appreciate the compliment. :) yep – chili quinoa is the new chili mac! :D

41 Betty @ scrambled hen fruit May 4, 2011 at 9:41 pm

Well it isn’t snowing, but it was definitely rainy and coldish here. I didn’t get home until nine tonight so I just had cereal. But tomorrow is another day, and this chili is calling my name. :)

42 spabettie May 5, 2011 at 7:04 pm

oh, I hope you make it – its delicious! we haven’t had snow, but I’ve heard some areas still are – crazy!

43 Pure2raw Twins May 5, 2011 at 7:23 am

Quinoa is great so many things to do with it. And cinnamon is another great spice that just so fun to play with in savory dishes that really makes them unique; I think :)

44 spabettie May 5, 2011 at 6:18 pm

quinoa is my favorite, and I kinda took a break from it for a bit… Jason has changed his tune and LOVES it now, so I’ve been using it a lot again. and the cinnamon thing I actually learned from Jason, my midwest boy! :D

45 Jesse May 5, 2011 at 9:36 am

i love adding cinnamon to chili, even though i make the chili and add the cinnamon it still surprises me:)

46 spabettie May 5, 2011 at 6:10 pm

yes! me too – a nice warming surprise!