chocolate biscuit cake

You all aren’t really surprised, are you?

While I am not a fan of fruit cake, I do love chocolate and biscuits. This cake looked easy enough, and sometimes the simple recipes are the most delicious. This is one of those.

I used my mini springform pan, adjusting the recipe for a small version of Prince William’s groom’s cake. I adapted the recipe fromΒ Bon AppΓ©tit test kitchen.

chocolate biscuit cake

1 1/2 sticks butter
15 ounces semi-sweet chocolate
2/3 cup heavy whipping cream
1 8 ounce package McVitie’s digestive biscuits

Lightly coat a 9-inch springform pan with nonstick spray. Line bottom of pan with parchment paper round. Melt butter and chocolate in a large saucepan over low heat until smooth. Stir in cream. Remove from heat and stir in broken biscuits. Pour into prepared pan, smoothing top. Cover and refrigerate until set, from 3 hours to overnight.

Release cake from pan, invert onto serving plate. Remove parchment paper, decorate with sifted powdered sugar.

This cake is traditionally topped with a ganache. I thought it was chocolately enough as is, and any chance I get to sprinkle powdered sugar I will take.

Who else is staying up all night getting up early to watch the Royal Wedding?

Anyone else wearing a crown? Just me?

I love that you went ahead and made this.
    It reminds me of flourless chocolate cake except with biscuits. I’m not a biscuit fan so maybe I’ll just make a flourless chocolate cake and call it a day.

2. assistantdoc says

I am feeling a “need to eat” feeling when I look at this cake. This post has my two favorite things…….chocolate and sparkly things! Yay crowns. You rock your crown with pride sister friend!

yes – I will!! :) poor 365 is so badly in need of updating! I take photos each day, and then keep telling myself I need to take the time to do it…

haaa!! I read this fast and thought you wrote “spot of coffee” :) isn’t that what they always say over there, a spot of tea?? :)

Holy $#!^*&)(&!!!! Ooooh my goodness. You’ve totally outdone yourself on this one. It’s beautiful and decadent and I love your photography. I won’t be making this one…. I’d eat the whole thing. Not ok. πŸ˜‰

YAY! I have a collection… I thought it might be weird to show more than two. πŸ˜‰ perhaps another post sometime. in college I would have all my girlfriends over for pageant parties – when they would walk in the door they got to pick a crown or tiara to wear for the evening! πŸ˜€

So that’s what it looks like – amazing! I’d been hoping to stay up for the wedding but now that I’ve reviewed the itinerary and see the ceremony won’t start till 3 AM PST I’m not so sure I’ll be able to make it happen!

yum, right?? πŸ˜€ yeah, it was kinda tough for a bit there… I set my phone alarm in case I fell asleep – I dozed for a bit but was up before the alarm!!

and you know, the biscuits STAY crunchy!! πŸ˜€ they don’t get soft – I LIKE that!! I was awake at 4… don’t know if I’ll still be awake at 4 PM today, but… πŸ˜€

the friends I just left are having a royal wedding party tomorrow evening, though three of them are also planning on getting up in the middle of the night to watch it live.

Your cake looks better than a sleepless night to me!

I thought about that too, like bite size you mean? and it IS absolutely delicious… it really only takes a silver – it’s so rich – I’m glad I made a SMALL one! πŸ˜€ enjoy and have a great weekend!

no, this wasn’t eaten at 4am either, as far as you know. πŸ˜‰ ha! did you just LOVE watching?? πŸ˜€

I managed a european deli for a while, and I would order all kinds of lovely important chocolates – this cake reminds me of some of those, the biscuit bars are wonderful! this cake is too – it was fun to make and oooh SO delicious! (and YES, you really do only need a small piece – ha!)

ha – I saw that too, then stopped by the store for biscuits on the way home. πŸ˜€ it is VERY rich, that’s why I only made a SMALL version! I asked Jason to take it to work, but he wants it all. πŸ˜‰ we had such small slivers last night it’s going to last us a while…

6. woobear says

Look delicious!!! But what are digestive biscuits? Are you stateside? Where can I get them? Gotta make it right!!! Can’t wait…need a chocolate fix quick lol

digestive biscuits – think tea biscuits? look here for photo only –> McVities you should be able to find them at any store (yes I am in the states!) :) you know the ONE aisle in the grocery – where all the different ethnic foods are? that is where I find mine – and in just a regular old grocery store, not specialty! πŸ˜€ have fun – you will LOVE this cake!!

amazing! We’ve done the same chocolate biscuit cake for thr royal wedding! It’s sooooo good! Yours looks delicious too! Have a great weekend, Giorgia & Cyril

isn’t it great? I saw yours, looks great! then I saw it again on foodgawker or tastespotting – great job!

This is actually quite a popular dessert in my country, but we add pieces of marmelade and rum-soaked raisins – now that is DIVINE! It’s called ‘The Sweet Brunette’ where I live, and it is in the form of a tunnel.

oh, it is so very! I made a small version (like, 5-6 inch round?) and we STILL have some! you only need a very small sliver! YUM!

wow. this might be the best looking chocolate cake i’ve seen in a long time. and only four ingredients and one of them is digestive biscuits which i adore? again, wow.

why thank you! yes, it is VERY easy to make, I LOVE short ingredient lists! digestive biscuits are my favorite!

10. Albie Walsh says

I love that you made this – very impressive. I recall these around the time of the wedding and thought it was lovely. must be incredibly decadent!

11. Candace says

found this webpage in a search for this exact cake; making for a birthday celebration this weekend and hopes to be as stunning as yours. wish I could commission you to create for me. :) besos, C

wow, I LOVE LOVE LOVE that you made this! I wish I would have thought to do this at that time, my girlfriends and I had a big party and stayed up all night watching! this cake would have helped us when we were getting tired, LOL.

I love your blog!!

13. Cranbrook says

I am making this for the anniversary!! we had a big viewing party for the wedding, and I was kicking myself for not researching to make this for that… I WILL make it this time LOL.

This cake is magic! It’s my boyfriend’s birthday next week and whilst searching for a cake that doesn’t require the use of an oven to make, I encountered this delicious example. We currently are living in an apartment with a kitchen consisting of a toastie maker, fridge and a water heating device so your recipe is ideal! I hope he likes it! Thanks a lot spabettie! x