belgian ale waffle with ale ice cream and chocolate sauce

As a Foodbuzz Tastemaker, I was invited to develop a recipe that features or pairs with New Belgium Ales. Before thinking about what I would make, I wanted to taste several of their beers.

I sampled their Abbey Belgian Ale, Fat Tire Amber Ale, Mighty Arrow Pale Ale, Ranger IPA, Trippel Belgian Ale and 1554 Enlightened Black Ale.

My favorites by far were the Abbey Belgian Style Ale and the 1554 Enlightened Black Ale. The Abbey is sweet and malty, and I immediately thought of making a dessert. In the 1554 I definitely tasted chocolate. After more sampling of these two beers, I decided on an Abbey Ale belgian waffle, an Abbey Ale ice cream and a 1554 Black Ale chocolate sauce.

Each of these components on their own have great flavors, and together they are an indulgent dessert!

abbey ale ice cream

2 cups heavy cream
1/2 cup granulated sugar
3/4 cup New Belgium Abbey Ale

1 tablespoon vanilla extract

Whisk cream and sugar until sugar dissolves, stir in beer and vanilla. Pour mixture into your ice cream maker. Mix about 20-25 minutes (or to your machine instructions). This took my machine 25 minutes for perfect ice cream consistency.

abbey ale belgian waffles

2 cups all purpose flour
1 1/2 tablespoons baking powder
1 cup New Belgium Abbey Ale
1/4 cup agave
2 tablespoons oil
1 egg

Sift together flour and baking powder. Add beer, agave and oil, combine. Whisk egg and add to the waffle batter, stirring until just combined. Pour into prepared waffle iron and cook per machine instructions. I cooked mine about 2 minutes on one side, flipping and cooking for one more minute (using a waffle iron that flips).

1554 enlightened black ale chocolate sauce

1 cup New Belgium 1554 Enlightened Black Ale
2 cups heavy cream
8 ounces semi sweet chocolate

In saucepan on medium heat, reduce ale until it thickens and reduces by half. Add cream, stir until combined (and taste it now, it is fabulous!). Add chocolate, stir constantly until melted.

Plate a warm waffle and top with ice cream. Drizzle with warm chocolate sauce and enjoy!

The beer gave the waffles a light and fluffy texture and a malty flavor. The ice cream was sweet and malty as well, and the 1554 gave the chocolate sauce another level of richness. Thank you to Foodbuzz and New Belgium Ales for inspiring a delicious experience!

Disclaimer! I was compensated by Foodbuzz and New Belgium Brewing to create recipes using or pairing New Belgium Ale; my opinions are my own.

You know I love my waffles! This is amazing! I won’t tell Tony about it thought since he was just talking about how much he misses a good beer. I feel so bad for him since he can’t enjoy beer like he used to. I’m not a beer drinker, but I totally would go gaga over this creation!

I thought of you, Sarena… but I forgot about Tony and no beer :( you could make this same thing without… it would just be a vanilla ice cream, sub a club soda for the beer in the waffles to get the same fluffy texture, and the chocolate sauce – I can trust that you would come up with an equally amazing topping! 😀

Holy hot damn!

Ahem. That made my jaw literally fall open. Seriously. That is one of the most stunning looking plates of food I have ever seen. Alcohol is illegal here, and I don’t even drink anyway, but now I want some beer just so I can make this. Wow…

I was thinking this would look so cool served in a beer mug! Whipped cream on the top of course. We don’t have Abby beer around these parts, at least Ive never seen it. I’m sure another beer could be substituted though right?

we have tried a few gf beers, neither of us like them much. (I’m not much of a beer drinker at all, even though I love to BREW it at home!) Jason saves his gluten consumption for beer, as he LOVES a good beer. he has thought about trying to come up with a gf recipe for us to brew.

haaaa! yes! glad you thought so! I much prefer the fruit based most of the time, but yeah. every now and then? this’ll do!

Wow- this is a dangerous recipe. It looks incredible. That chocolate looks so smooth and decadent… I have to stop talking about it before I lose my mind. Amazing!

thank you, Shellina! :) I know, it is pretty decadent – the chocolate sauce was SO good. kinda mind blowing, I understand! 😀

thank you, Ashley! this was a fun project and this ice cream will be made again, all summer long! 😀

a friend sent me this page – all I have to say is WOW – great job incorporating the ales into each aspect of this dessert – looks amazing, bettie, well done!