warmest day of the year

in summertime, Sunday Garden Series, yard & garden

Saturday was Portland’s warmest of the year thus far, and it was beautiful! Aside from about two hours at Living Room Theater, we were outside all day long.

We saw Water for Elephants, and since I have read the book at least three times, I feel I can say the movie was executed perfectly! It is a wonderfully moving story on a few levels, and I was on the edge of my seat the whole time. Also? I want Marlena’s wardrobe! :D

Going to the movies at 11:am left the rest of the day to play outdoors! Jason mowed the yards and I played in the garden. We grilled in the evening, which was nice and light until after 8pm. It was a perfect day, and I am hoping for more like it soon…

Grilled corn is my favorite:

More new blooms in the garden:

colorful

bright

new

blooming

blooms on our blueberry bushes!

and a little friend:

Are you planning to see Water for Elephants? Have you read the book?

Happy Easter!

1 Sarena (The Non-Dairy Queen) April 24, 2011 at 9:51 am

I haven’t read it, but now I’m curious! I LOVE grilled corn. I am so ready for some grilling now! Have a great day!

2 spabettie April 24, 2011 at 8:19 pm

you should definitely read it – it is incredibly heartwarming! :) I’m excited for grilling – I think yesterday was a bit of a fluke, but we will have that weather back soon and be grilling all the time! :D have a fantastic week, Sarena!

3 Carly D. @ CarlyBananas April 24, 2011 at 10:29 am

I loved Water for Elephants the booked and was also thrilled with the movie. I think Christoph Waltz was really the piece that held it together so perfectly. I think he’s so brilliant. And Reese’s clothes… love.

I hope you have a great day today! :)

4 spabettie April 24, 2011 at 8:17 pm

oh, I agree – Christoph Waltz was perfect for that part!! I was extremely pleased with how the movie told the story. I had an awesome day, I hope you did too!! have a great week, Carly!!

5 Holly @ The Runny Egg April 24, 2011 at 10:34 am

I think today is actually the warmest day MN has had in 2011. Thank goodness it is so beautiful out! It was rainy and cold yesterday :(

I have not seen Water for Elephants, I want to read the book first!

6 spabettie April 24, 2011 at 8:14 pm

you should definitely read the book and see the movie – it is such a heartwarming story, and I cannot wait to see it again !! :D I hope the rain and cold is going away, and hope you guys have a fantastic week, Holly!

7 Ally (oatsandspice) April 24, 2011 at 10:52 am

MMMmmm – fresh corn – I am SO looking forward to that in Michigan :)

HAPPY EASTER!

8 spabettie April 24, 2011 at 8:12 pm

thank you, Ally – a Happy Easter to you! I am so excited that grilling season is here – looking forward to all kinds of fresh veggies on the grill!

9 christina April 24, 2011 at 11:13 am

such pretty flowers!!

10 spabettie April 24, 2011 at 8:11 pm

thanks xtina!

11 lindsay April 24, 2011 at 12:03 pm

warmth is here!! Hooray! I like that little frog. Too cute. Hug basil for me today.

12 spabettie April 24, 2011 at 8:10 pm

we have what sounds like HUNDREDS of frogs chirping at night – they are out at the lake just beyond our property and they get SO loud at night – one of my favorite parts of this time of year :D hugging Basil right now – I said it was from Lindsay! <3

13 Pure2raw twins April 24, 2011 at 12:12 pm

sooo prettty! love the flowers

14 spabettie April 24, 2011 at 8:09 pm

thank you!! hope you both have a great week!

15 Kath (My Funny Little Life) April 24, 2011 at 12:58 pm

This post warms my heart as well. :)

16 spabettie April 24, 2011 at 8:09 pm

I am so glad! hope you had a great weekend, Happy Easter to you!

17 Leanne @ Healthful Pursuit April 24, 2011 at 1:22 pm

I’m looking forward to being outside all day long and taking pictures of gorgeous flowers. Everything you shared just looks so fantastic!!
My aunt was talking about that movie last night, I guess she just finished the book and said it was fantastic! Maybe we should plan to go see it when it comes out!

18 spabettie April 24, 2011 at 8:07 pm

you really should plan to see the movie – I recommend it – such a heartwarming story! I hope you had a great day outside, Leanne! have a fantastic week!

19 Heather (Where's the Beach) April 24, 2011 at 2:24 pm

Gorgeous flowers. Just love that pop of color in the spring. I’ve never read the book, but always heard it was great. I hope you’re having a great Sunday!

20 spabettie April 24, 2011 at 8:04 pm

thanks, Heather – my Sunday was awesome – looked like yours was too :D I’d recommend the book AND the movie – such a heartwarming story! have a great week, Heather!

21 Lisa April 24, 2011 at 3:05 pm

Beautiful pics!
I read Water for Elephants, and can’t wait to see the movie. I saw something on TV about the wardrobe, and it does look amazing!
My mom told me the movie is as good as or better than Secret Life of Bees…and that’s probably my fave, so I have high hopes!

22 spabettie April 24, 2011 at 8:03 pm

it really was a great movie – I can’t wait to see it AGAIN! :D warning – bring tissues! have a great week, Lisa B !!

23 JillToday April 24, 2011 at 5:13 pm

Although I wasn’t the biggest fan of the movie (although I did think it was good!) I am OBSESSED with Marlena’s clothes. Could Reese have looked hotter?!

24 spabettie April 24, 2011 at 8:02 pm

yes! wait, I mean no! :) she looked great, and I so want to dress that way! :D have a fantastic week, Jill !! XO

25 Stephanie@MyThornsHaveRoses April 24, 2011 at 5:34 pm

Although I have my reservations about the book, I’m still excited to see the movie! You guys must have taken the warmth with you on Sat…it was COLD here. :)

26 spabettie April 24, 2011 at 8:01 pm

the cold was back here today, so hopefully the warm came back your way? :) did you read the book? what reservations? being one who cannot tolerate animal cruelty or suffering, I did have a few cringe worthy times but it all ended up okay. the story is so heartwarming to me! have a great week, Stephanie!

27 rebecca lustig April 24, 2011 at 5:52 pm

it is SOO warm– i think i dehydrated myself a bit=– I feel like a camel haha

beautiful flowers!

28 spabettie April 24, 2011 at 7:55 pm

ha! ;) I’m very camel-like some days too! :D have a great week, Rebecca!

29 Jenn L @ Peas and Crayons April 24, 2011 at 6:27 pm

I think it was 95 in NC today? crazy! Hope you enjoyed your beautiful warm day! <3 love ya girl!

30 spabettie April 24, 2011 at 7:50 pm

oooh, wow! that is crazy hot! we were low 70s, which is PERFECT! have a fabulous week, darlin’! XXO

31 Heather @ kissmybroccoli April 24, 2011 at 6:52 pm

I’ve never read the book, but I’ve heard so many people enjoyed the movie. I may have to check it out myself!

Gorgeous pics girlie! And I LOVE some grilled corn!

32 spabettie April 24, 2011 at 7:49 pm

oh, you should! it is truly a heartwarming story – and the movie is as close to detail as I’ve seen in a while, which is nice. isn’t grilled corn delicious?? I am so happy summer is here! :D have a fabulous week, my friend!

33 Shirley @ gfe April 24, 2011 at 7:39 pm

Oh, it’s wonderful to hear a review from someone I know who loved the movie–thank you, Kristina! I’m going away for the Gluten-Free Expo this week (OMG, it’s almost here!!), but when I get back I’m having tea with girlfriends and then we’re going to see Water for Elephants afterwards. We’ve all read and/or listened to it on audio and can’t wait. I’ve been thrilled to hear all the great review so far. :-)

xo,
Shirley

34 spabettie April 24, 2011 at 7:47 pm

one of these days I will have to get myself to the Gluten Free Expo!! I would love it, I know! I’m looking forward to hearing all about it from you! :D

you are going to LOVE the movie! and what fun to go with girlfriends! Jason was interested in seeing it, because he has heard me rave about the book… I want to see it again in the theater, and will probably go with friends next time! *a tip – bring tissues! ;)

XO have a great trip, Shirley!

35 Lisa April 25, 2011 at 10:24 am

Saturday was GORGEOUS! I spent the day weeding the yard. I wish the sun would come back!

36 spabettie April 25, 2011 at 10:32 am

it’s meant to rain all week, but SUNNY again this Sat AND Sun!! WEEE! have a great one!

37 Lisa April 25, 2011 at 10:42 am

I can’t wait for this coming weekend! We will build the raised beds and hopefully get in a bike ride.

38 spabettie April 25, 2011 at 11:22 am

that’s awesome! I think I feel like we can plant now, you know? if not this weekend maybe next… it was still REALLY cold last night. (well, to me… we went on a walk about 9pm and Jason said no, it’s not cold!) :D

39 Christin@purplebirdblog April 25, 2011 at 7:16 pm

Daaaawwwwwwwwwwwwww I love the little froggy! And I was *just* lamenting to Alex about how I am craving grilled corn! :)

40 spabettie April 26, 2011 at 12:32 pm

I hope you can have some soon!! :D

41 hihorosie April 25, 2011 at 9:08 pm

Beautiful pics! Love the blueberry blooms – so pretty. And I love grilled corn. It really is the best isn’t it? I’m so happy that it (finally) seems to be more spring-like these days. yay!

42 spabettie April 26, 2011 at 12:14 pm

I am SO happy the weather is getting warmer! we pretty much LIVE out on our deck in the summer…