Hasselbacken Kartoffeln

in Dinner, Gluten Free, recipes, Vegan

I have a new daydream that I love to think about lately… it all started with Nellie and her awesome blog, Diary of a Midlife Cruiser. She is witty and fun and has a great story – she and her husband saved up, quit jobs, sold everything, and are touring the countryside in their RV.

I want to do this! Well, not quit jobs and sell everything, but Jason and I seriously talked about buying an RV and taking extended vacations! How fun would that be? We could take Basil along, we could plan routes so I could visit all my blogger friends, cook with them in their kitchens, Basil could play with their dogs…  Christina suggested I make t shirts and plan a blog tour! ;)

So, lately it’s all I can think about. Jason and I are both in need of a vacation…

Also, have you seen RV’s these days? Some have kitchens that are probably bigger than mine! Definitely spacious and functional. I could totally keep up my food blog in an RV with a decked out kitchen. Climbing to the roof would give excellent natural photography light!

Last night’s dinner? I could absolutely make this dinner in an RV.

A big salad with balsamic + olive oil, quinoa, hasselback potatoes.

hasselback potatoes

potatoes (I used reds and Yukon golds)
butter (earth balance)
garlic, minced
sea salt

Slice potatoes at evenly spaced intervals (every 1/4 cm) along length and almost through the potato, but not quite. Insert garlic into each slice in potatoes. Melt butter and brush over potatoes.

Bake @ 425 for 50-60 minutes.

These are crispy and soft, garlicy and buttery, tasty and fun! I have been wanting to make these for a while, and we both really liked them. I am thinking we could do these on the grill this summer… or, you know, in an RV.

What is your dream vacation?

Can we come visit you on Basil’s National Blogger Tour?

1 Shirley @ gfe March 31, 2011 at 3:45 am

Those potatoes look fabulous! I have to admit an RV is definitely not in my dreams. We had a pull behind camper for a while and it was the bane of my existence. When we would pull it to our mtn property, I got a stiff neck from answering the question, “How’s the camper? Is the camper riding okay?” RVs are bigger and more complicated, so they are not for me, but some folks love them. And Basil’s National Blogger Tour would be something NOT to be missed … that’s for sure!

My dream vacation … relaxation mixed with exploring and a mixture of mountains and water. That could take me so many places … Saba, St. Lucia, Switzerland … off to daydream …

Shirley

2 spabettie April 3, 2011 at 12:32 am

oh, Shirley, your vacation ideas are wonderful…

I probably wouldn’t be driving it much?? but feel like an all one piece RV might be easier than pulling something? I really have no idea, though!! I’d love a cute little airstream that has been modernized… how fun, right? :D

3 Holly @ The Runny Egg March 31, 2011 at 4:31 am

Yes you can come visit us on your RV tour!

My bro in law and his wife and daughter rent an RV every summer for their vacations — they love it!

4 spabettie April 3, 2011 at 12:29 am

I think it would be SO much fun!! we are talking about renting one and taking a short trip around Oregon – just to see if we love it as much as we think we will!! :D

5 lindsay March 31, 2011 at 5:03 am

james and I want to do that too! Just pack up and go for race to race in a RV. First stop……PORTLAND!

6 spabettie April 3, 2011 at 12:28 am

yes please!! have races ever brought him out this way??? that would be great!!

7 Heather (Where's the Beach) March 31, 2011 at 5:41 am

I think that would be so much fun actually. I tried making hasselback potatoes once – saw them in a mag and fell in love with the idea. Mine didn’t turn out to be anything spectacular.

8 Theresa @ActiveEggplant March 31, 2011 at 6:38 am

yes yes yes! PLEASE come visit me and Dottie Pottie on your RV tour!!!

I swear some RVs out there are bigger than my entire house – by the time you use all those “pull outs” they have there’s more room than my little 2 bedroom/1 bathroom home! …but at least I still have a yard, right?

9 spabettie April 3, 2011 at 12:27 am

OF COURSE we’d come see you!! how fun to see Dottie + Basil runnin’ around together! yes, there’s something to be said for a yard, and we love ours… but I think part of the trip’s appeal for Jason? no lawn mowing!! :D

10 Stephanie @My Thorns Have Roses March 31, 2011 at 6:56 am

See…we are NOT beachy people. While I love love love the sun I prefer to get it while hiking or relaxing in an open field. We talk about RV vacationing all the time. It would be perfect both for when we have the kids and want to explore and when we don’t! I’ve always said that I’d love to see each of the 50 states before my life is over and it sure would be neat to do it driving the country side!

11 spabettie April 3, 2011 at 12:25 am

yes indeed!! I would love to see all 50 states too! Jason and I talked years ago about doing a tour of DINERS all over the country. we had the idea before Guy. ;)

12 kalin March 31, 2011 at 7:10 am

There’s a house by me that I run by that has a teardrop trailer. And I really never want an RV but I’m in LOVE with that one. It’s red and adorable.
You need to start out stopping by my house on your tour :-)

13 spabettie April 3, 2011 at 12:24 am

I would want a totally cute one, too! what I’d REALLY like is an airstream but all modern and decked out!! and YES – your house would be a great first stop!! a nice training drive of just a few miles, and we’ll need to stop!! :D

14 Jessica @ Dairy Free Betty March 31, 2011 at 7:14 am

You can come visit me!! There are a few bloggers on the island!! :)

My parents are just waiting for their house to sell and are off on their RV adventure! They have no plans, they are just going!!

My dream adventure – I’m not totally sure, I’d want to go somewhere HOT, with amazing food, fantastic snorkeling and beaches and a totally different culture… Lots of ideas, nowhere concrete!

15 spabettie April 3, 2011 at 12:22 am

aahhh… your parents should blog about their adventures!! :D

16 Sarena (The Non-Dairy Queen) March 31, 2011 at 7:59 am

Yes, come visit! I want to go on more vacations. We are currently trying to figure out what in the world we are doing with the rest of our life so we can have more free time to enjoy life. Dinner looks perfect! I tried that method on potatoes before and I brushed them with chopped rosemary and olive oil…pure heaven.

17 spabettie April 3, 2011 at 12:21 am

oooh, rosemary sounds great too – I want to make these again with different flavorings like that… Jason loves rosemary :)

so great that you have the rest of your life to plan out :D exciting!

18 Andrea @ CanYouStayForDinner.com March 31, 2011 at 8:45 am

The photos are unbelievable- so sharp and vibrant!

I want to go to Greece. So very badly. I’d actually just like to live inside The Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants and move to Santorini.

19 spabettie April 3, 2011 at 12:18 am

thank you, Andrea!

yes – I’ve never been, but Santorini looks beautiful…

20 Alyssa @ Life of bLyss March 31, 2011 at 10:43 am

you can totally come see me. :) chloe and basil can play in my backyard while we cook in the kitch. yay!

21 spabettie April 3, 2011 at 12:16 am

ahhh… that sounds divine!! <3

22 assistantdoc March 31, 2011 at 11:21 am

That sounds so so fun! Eric and I have talked about renting an RV and driving to the national parks! Fun. My dream vacation is to stay at the resort that was in the movie “Couples retreat” in Bora Bora. Terrible movie but the resort was incredible. We are planning to do that for our 10 year anniversary, Lord willing.

23 spabettie April 3, 2011 at 12:15 am

YES – that place looks FUN! Jason said that too, actually, when we saw the movie… and he’s brought it up since also!! that would be great if you can go for your number ten!! <3

24 (what runs) Lori March 31, 2011 at 11:25 am

I LOVE what you did with those potatoes. Way better than just a roasted tadder, and WAY more fun than just eating fries. Nicely done. Creative and beautiful… and crisped. ;)

I want to travel around too!!!!!!!!!!!!! I wouldn’t mind quitting my job either. ;)

25 spabettie April 3, 2011 at 12:14 am

yeah, the more I think about it, talk and write about it, the more I want to do this!! we may do a test run – a small week or so road trip with a rented RV until we can take a larger stretch of time… :D

26 Kath (My Funny Little Life) March 31, 2011 at 1:58 pm

Hasselbacken Kartoffeln? :D That sounds very German, but I don’t know a German potato recipe like this. The most German ways to have potatoes may be either pan fried potatoes with onions (and sometimes bacon) or potato salad with creme fraiche or mayonnaise (northern style) or oil and vinegar (south-western style). And lets not forget boiled potatoes with skin on! Or salt potatoes. Or potato dumplings. (Okay, there are quite a lot of “German” ways to eat potatoes! :D)

27 spabettie April 3, 2011 at 12:06 am

yeah, I may have made that up for the title!! ;) kind of, anyway! they are called hasselback potatoes, and they originated at a hotel called Hasselbacken… ;) a small stretch, no? :D too much?

YES… sounds like quite a variety of preparations… and they all sound delicious to me!!

28 Dinner at Christina's March 31, 2011 at 3:56 pm

Ohhh yippee- I truly think the blog tour would be a fantastic idea! You can definitely hit my kitchen up and Corky and Basil can beg for yummy food together, tails wagging.

They rent RVs too, if you didn’t want to buy!

I think it’d be such a cool idea! You could blog about it on the way. And do some kind of carnival thing, maybe. Like choose a recipe you want to make w/ ea. blogger. Or diff. cities you want to visit and restaurants you want to eat at w/ bloggers! Fun stuff!

29 spabettie April 2, 2011 at 11:55 pm

we were JUST talking about it last night… we MIGHT rent one in a couple months for a week or so… just a road trippin’ around Oregon thing… :) and seriously – it is just SO FUN to think about!! so SO fun!!

30 Angela March 31, 2011 at 4:24 pm

Damn, those potatoes look cute! Definitely going to try them, thanks!!

31 spabettie April 2, 2011 at 11:52 pm

good – I hope you love them, Angela!! :D

32 Jenn L @ Peas and Crayons March 31, 2011 at 4:36 pm

Come on by! =) I’ll have treats for basil ready! <3 plus he can chase the ferritos! =)

YUMMMMY recipe girl! you're so awesome!

33 spabettie April 2, 2011 at 11:52 pm

aww… that would be fun! I wonder what he’d think of the ferrets… I’m sure they’d play! :D

34 Tiffany @ Simply Shaka March 31, 2011 at 6:32 pm

YES YES YES! Please travel the country with Basil, he can have his own little entourage and have little b***h “groupies”

Potatoes look good btw :)

35 spabettie April 2, 2011 at 11:50 pm

I can see Basil with an entourage… :D we’d have to come see you and Lincoln too!

36 sarah, simply cooked April 2, 2011 at 12:04 am

This caught my eye on Health Freak Food; it’s beatiful. I wanted to let you know that they must set your page in a frame, since their URL, not yours, is not the one that is showing. I’m going to mention this to them and express my displeasure. I think it’s a great site (I’ve just discovered it) but they should direct traffic to you fully. (Perhaps you might want to email them?)

37 Midlife Cruiser April 2, 2011 at 1:44 am

We could meet up somewhere in our RVs & I could lure you outside then sneak into your RV while you were distracted and raid your fridge!! Shoot! Why am I telling you my devious plan?!? FEED ME!!!!!!

38 spabettie April 2, 2011 at 11:42 pm

BAA HAA… you are making me laugh out loud… the dog is giving me the side eye. and WEEE ! it would be SO SO FUN to meet up and RV HOP with you!! I would Most Definitely feed you!! XXO !

39 Rajani@eatwritethink April 2, 2011 at 8:45 pm

hi my first time here… came from TS… i have never made potatoes like this, looks delicious.

40 spabettie April 2, 2011 at 11:18 pm

hello Rajani, thank you for saying hello! these potatoes are VERY tasty – and pretty easy! the hardest part being the slicing, not going through the entire potato… I love anything with garlic, and these result in a crispy edge and soft insides… so tasty!

41 Betty @ scrambled hen fruit April 3, 2011 at 6:29 pm

Came over from Tastespotting- that’s a gorgeous potato! I love the garlic inside. I think the idea of an RV is awesome- I’d love one of those airstreams…the ones that look like giant silver twinkies. Don’t know if I could give up a home base though. :)

42 spabettie April 3, 2011 at 8:38 pm

Hi Betty!! thank you SO much for saying hello! AND for the compliment :D we are already kindred spirits because I ALWAYS say that about the airstream!! that they look like a big silver twinkie!! (I also think that of the old style school buses without the front “nose” sticking out…) :) thank you again for coming by and saying hello, your blog looks DELICIOUS and I have added you to my reader!

43 Hannah April 5, 2011 at 8:40 am

I’ve wanted to make hasselback potatoes for the longest time, but they always seemed so complicated… Your method sounds like a breeze! Consider it bookmarked for the very near future- Thanks for sharing.

44 spabettie April 5, 2011 at 9:36 am

thanks, Hannah! they are pretty easy – the toughest part is making the cuts almost through but not completely… just go slow, especially at the ends! :) using the melted butter and minced garlic is great too – I have had them before and I think traditionally you use slices of garlic and sliced butter? yep – this is much easier! I hope you make them and ENJOY!!

45 Heather @ kissmybroccoli April 5, 2011 at 5:20 pm

Oh you know most definitely that you are welcome in my neck of the woods! You can’t very well plan a trip around the country without visiting the country music capital of the world right? T-shirts are a must! I’m envisioning Basil’s profile in front of a veggie pizza in the shape of the US. I know a guy that knows a guy that can make it happen…just saying! ;)

46 spabettie April 5, 2011 at 5:39 pm

oh, yeah, we’d definitely have to come through!! :) and I totally dig that you are hooked up – I know some guys who know some guys too! :D

47 Christin@purplebirdblog April 5, 2011 at 7:49 pm

Um, yeah… you should wait to do this tour until I’m a licensed massage therapist… then I’ll come with you and I can do massage to raise income for the trip! ;)

48 spabettie April 5, 2011 at 10:25 pm

girl, now you’re thinkin’! you would fit in SO well at BurningMan… ;)