artichoke cashew dip

We are having a dinner party this weekend, and I am testing some recipes I may want to include.

artichoke cashew dip

2 cups raw cashews, soaked overnight
1/4 cup water
1/4 cup nutritional yeast
1 cup artichoke hearts
1/2 sweet onion, finely diced
splash sriracha
sea salt, to taste

Blend cashews and water in food processor or high speed blender until creamy. Add nutritional yeast, half of the onions and half of the artichoke hearts. Blend until creamy. Add the remaining onions and artichokes and stir by hand.

Serve with veggies and grilled bread. This is a gluten free loaf from New Cascadia Traditional.

This dip is creamy and tangy, like artichoke dip should be. The sriracha adds the perfect kick (I may have added more than one splash!) and the nutritional yeast and cashews add layers of nutty flavor. I served this cold, and I’m sure it would work warm as well.

I remember the first time I had an artichoke – sitting in the kitchen in my childhood kitchen in Lake Oswego. We had them with dinner – my mom roasted or steamed the artichoke and served them with a tart sauce – we would pull off the ‘leaves’ and eat the soft part at the edge.

Do you like artichokes? Have you ever eaten them the way I did my first time?

Comments

oh my, fried! I bet that is GOOD ! yep, come on over!! I will have to make more before the party, this is (not surprisingly) almost gone!

this brings back childhood memories. I remember chewing on the artichoke leaves and sitting on the back porch. I just love that flavor!

This looks awesome! I am definitely making this next time I have my family over—we love artichokes :)
    I just need to get some sriracha…

I have made artichokes like you ate them, and I really would prefer doing that compared to eating them out of a can or a jar marinated in oil. It’s a lot of work though!

so – how did you make them, was it steamed or roasted or… ? :) I’ve never actually made them myself, and would love to…

I saw that – we were on the same wavelength last night!! I bet that added an awesome flavor! …and sriracha – of course!

Yes, I have eaten artichokes the same way you did the first time! I think we dipped the leaves in butter. Yummy! I love artichoke hearts and put them on/in everything!

I haven’t had them that way in so long – and I’ve never made them that way myself… I’ll have to ask my mom how she cooked them, I think steamed? SO yum! Basil says *hello Clyde*

1. I looove this combination! So unique!
    2. I didn’t know you were from Lake Oswego! My college roommate was from there and boy, have I heard stories :)

ha… yes to the stories! I lived there in college and a couple years after, too… I used to run the Lake Run each year – they have a 5, 8 + 12k, I think… and I swear it’s where I ran an 18k once! it’s a good race!

yep, I will have to make more if I want it for our party this weekend… this is almost gone! πŸ˜€

I love artichoke dip so much!
    I grew up with amazzzzing artichokes-my parents boil them with a TON of herbs and spices and they’re just amazingly full of flavor. And then rosemary butter to dip them in-redic!

That’s how I grew up eating artichokes. My mom steamed them and ate the leaves with a butter sauce. It was so good! I’ve never tried to recreate that as an adult. I usually just have artichokes in dip or on pizza now. :)

ha – Alyssa, I bet there are many that have not had a “straight artichoke” before! :) I thought about adding spinach to this, but there was only enough left for my smoothie this morning! ha! I hope you give this a try – let me know if you like it!!

This dip looks tasty and delicious. Well done! I love artichokes. The first time I made one was in my early 20s in my first apartment. I steamed it and dipped it [as you did] but used a coconut oil + garlic dip. Gosh, I need to make that again. Thanks for the reminder!

I was pretty picky as a kid, so I’m surprised I actually liked them back then. I know, good memories for me too!! πŸ˜€

HECK YES, we used to eat artichokes the very same way. I still love it. And then we’d fight over the heart. So delicious. I love artichokes and this dip looks fabulous. I’m not sure where I’d be without nutritional yeast these days.

okay, Napoleon!! πŸ˜€ tee hee…

I am really wanting a steamed artichoke right now… even after eating all this dip… πŸ˜‰

*droooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooool* πŸ˜€ πŸ˜€ πŸ˜€ πŸ˜€ πŸ˜€ πŸ˜€ πŸ˜€ πŸ˜€ πŸ˜€ πŸ˜€ πŸ˜€ πŸ˜€ πŸ˜€ πŸ˜€ πŸ˜€ πŸ˜€ πŸ˜€ πŸ˜€ πŸ˜€ πŸ˜€ πŸ˜€ πŸ˜€ πŸ˜€ πŸ˜€ πŸ˜€

When I ate an artichoke for the first time (my mom made them), they were steamed, and we plucked the leaves and dipped them in melted butter … so good! I also know the canned ones on a pizza.

hello Kath!! this comment makes me so happy! :) yep – I think I’m going to have to steam one soon… I’ve been thinking of them all day… :)

I love artichokes, although they are always in something — a salad or on a pizza, in a dip, etc. I’ve never eaten them “alone”.

Artichoke dip is the best and I bet that tasted so good with the crusty crusty bread — my favorite!

I’m loving this whole siracha thing! I don’t know if I’m spelling it right, but I’m intrigued by this mystery ingredient. Must try it out sometime soon…
    Oh, and this is going to sound weird, but I am so jealous of your light! I can tell spring is rushing in faster there than it is here because your pics have the most gorgeous natural lighting!

that is SO funny you say that, because it’s been dark and rainy here lately… it was sunny for a little bit yesterday, and we have a few skylights… these photos were taken DIRECTLY under one of those skylights !! πŸ˜€

if you like HOT sauce that still has FLAVOR… you’d like sriracha!

thank you!! I have tagged that, it looks great… I’ll let you know when I try it! (I LOVE roasted red pepper and have made a RRP Cashew Dip before!!) πŸ˜€

oh no!! :) I haven’t had a fresh one in a while, I’d love to make them the way my mom did when I was a kid – SO good!

I have been allll about makings sauces/spreads/dips/whatevers that are cashew based lately. Needless to say, this recipe looks ahh-maa-zing. Especially with the artichoke hearts!
    Haha…first time I ate an artichoke (that wasn’t from a can) I ate the entire leaf. I had no idea you were just supposed to kinda…I don’t know…pull? off the softer part, though I was certainly wondering why it was so tough to chew πŸ˜›

me too!! well, now it just seems like a normal thing, I became addicted last summer!! πŸ˜€ yes – I suggest you try this one as soon as you are able – it is delicious!

ha – I suppose that would be a common mistake – it can’t really hurt you, but yeah, pretty tough!! it’s good you still like them now!

I grew up eating stuffed artichokes my mother made. She stuffed them with bread crumb, parmesan cheese, onion, parsely and drizzled them with LOTS of olive oil. I make them today minus the parmesan. They are SO GOOD!

OK: let’s talk seriously. I wouldn’t trust anyone else to advise me on this one… I have a BIG mental block about nutritional yeast. An even bigger one about calling it “nooch”, frankly, but let’s start with problem 1.

Yeast is alive.

Eating something that is alive and “slightly cheesy-tasting” actually has me agitated… how is nutritional yeast vegan friendly? How is it not disgusting, which it *must* not be since everyone seems to be blogging about it with love? I just don’t understand! Help me, Kristina! πŸ˜€

oooh, if only I knew you had this nutritional yeast quandary – I would have included a baggie in your care package. :) while I wouldn’t call it ‘life changing’ (I hope I would not be presumptuous to call ANY food life changing!), I do use it often and love the flavor it adds. being someone who only uses ‘vegan’ as a recipe label, I do have to chuckle at some of the living cultures vegans enjoy, including yeast and kombucha. (mmm, kombucha!).

nutritional yeast is actually not active, alive… I believe? it has been “deactivated”, so yeah, it was once a bacteria? I question because I think this is correct, but not entirely sure? I long ago learned to love yogurt, bread and beer making, and kombucha!

also? I get agitated when folks call it nooch. πŸ˜‰ I could write a whole post on cringe-inducing things people (especially some bloggers!) say.

food baby, anyone?

YUMMY! My guys LOVE artichokes but I can take them or leave them . . . until now! I cannot WAIT to try this dip! I have not used nutritional yeast in many years but this is a reason for me to test the waters once again. If someone is unsure about the ‘veganiss’ of nutritional yeast, you could substitute . . . with what I don’t know but if one is compelled one will figure it out.

Thank you!

yep, you could sub… well, I don’t know! you could leave it out. you could maybe use cashews – I use cashews A LOT as a base for dips and sauces and “cremes”. I hope you and your guys LOVE it!!