artichoke cashew dip

in appetizers, Gluten Free, recipes, snacks, Vegan

We are having a dinner party this weekend, and I am testing some recipes I may want to include.

artichoke cashew dip

2 cups raw cashews, soaked overnight
1/4 cup water
1/4 cup nutritional yeast
1 cup artichoke hearts
1/2 sweet onion, finely diced
splash sriracha
sea salt, to taste

Blend cashews and water in food processor or high speed blender until creamy. Add nutritional yeast, half of the onions and half of the artichoke hearts. Blend until creamy. Add the remaining onions and artichokes and stir by hand.

Serve with veggies and grilled bread. This is a gluten free loaf from New Cascadia Traditional.

This dip is creamy and tangy, like artichoke dip should be. The sriracha adds the perfect kick (I may have added more than one splash!) and the nutritional yeast and cashews add layers of nutty flavor. I served this cold, and I’m sure it would work warm as well.

I remember the first time I had an artichoke – sitting in the kitchen in my childhood kitchen in Lake Oswego. We had them with dinner – my mom roasted or steamed the artichoke and served them with a tart sauce – we would pull off the ‘leaves’ and eat the soft part at the edge.

Do you like artichokes? Have you ever eaten them the way I did my first time?

1 Julie @ Shining From Within March 9, 2011 at 3:45 am

This looks uhhh-mazzing. I’m coming to your party if you’re serving this ;). I like artichokes in dips! I’ve pulled off the leaves and dipped it once but I prefer them pureed in dips or fried. Yum!

2 spabettie March 9, 2011 at 8:35 am

oh my, fried! I bet that is GOOD ! yep, come on over!! I will have to make more before the party, this is (not surprisingly) almost gone!

3 lindsay March 9, 2011 at 4:01 am

this brings back childhood memories. I remember chewing on the artichoke leaves and sitting on the back porch. I just love that flavor!

4 spabettie March 9, 2011 at 8:33 am

so good, right? I know – totally brings back childhood memories for me!

5 Lisa March 9, 2011 at 4:21 am

This looks awesome! I am definitely making this next time I have my family over—we love artichokes :)
I just need to get some sriracha…

I have made artichokes like you ate them, and I really would prefer doing that compared to eating them out of a can or a jar marinated in oil. It’s a lot of work though!

6 spabettie March 9, 2011 at 8:33 am

so – how did you make them, was it steamed or roasted or… ? :) I’ve never actually made them myself, and would love to…

7 Sarena (The Non-Dairy Queen) March 9, 2011 at 5:03 am

I LOVE artichokes! I put them in my lentil stew last night and they were amazing! This looks delicious and I haven’t had an artichoke dip in years. You added sriracha…perfect!

8 spabettie March 9, 2011 at 8:32 am

I saw that – we were on the same wavelength last night!! I bet that added an awesome flavor! …and sriracha – of course!

9 Brittney March 9, 2011 at 5:08 am

Yes, I have eaten artichokes the same way you did the first time! I think we dipped the leaves in butter. Yummy! I love artichoke hearts and put them on/in everything!

10 spabettie March 9, 2011 at 8:31 am

I haven’t had them that way in so long – and I’ve never made them that way myself… I’ll have to ask my mom how she cooked them, I think steamed? SO yum! Basil says *hello Clyde*

11 Camille March 9, 2011 at 5:14 am

1. I looove this combination! So unique!
2. I didn’t know you were from Lake Oswego! My college roommate was from there and boy, have I heard stories :)

12 spabettie March 9, 2011 at 8:30 am

ha… yes to the stories! I lived there in college and a couple years after, too… I used to run the Lake Run each year – they have a 5, 8 + 12k, I think… and I swear it’s where I ran an 18k once! it’s a good race!

13 Kristina March 9, 2011 at 5:17 am

mouthwatering-love this….i’m obsessed with artichokes!
Oswego-a lot of my friends went to school there!

14 spabettie March 9, 2011 at 8:28 am

if you are obsessed you NEED to make this. :D

15 Heather (Where's the Beach) March 9, 2011 at 5:37 am

Oh wow. What an awesome dip/spread. Hello perfect party appetizer! I love artichokes. I can’t remember when I had them first though. I am sure it was not when I was a kid though.

16 spabettie March 9, 2011 at 8:27 am

yep, I will have to make more if I want it for our party this weekend… this is almost gone! :D

17 laura March 9, 2011 at 6:03 am

wow this looks scrumptious

18 spabettie March 9, 2011 at 8:27 am

Thanks, Laura!

19 FoodFeud March 9, 2011 at 6:31 am

Wow, this sounds awesome! We love artichokes over here…now to find an excuse to make this.

20 spabettie March 9, 2011 at 8:26 am

um, it’s Wednesday! how’s that for a reason?? :D

21 kalin March 9, 2011 at 6:43 am

I love artichoke dip so much!
I grew up with amazzzzing artichokes-my parents boil them with a TON of herbs and spices and they’re just amazingly full of flavor. And then rosemary butter to dip them in-redic!

22 spabettie March 9, 2011 at 8:25 am

oh yum… that sounds perfect!! I need to make artichokes this way soon…

23 Blog is the New Black March 9, 2011 at 7:33 am

Ooooh, love this!

24 spabettie March 9, 2011 at 8:17 am

Thanks, Liz! it’s SO good…

25 Nichole March 9, 2011 at 8:03 am

nomnomnom. Have I MISSED you!

26 spabettie March 9, 2011 at 8:17 am

oh, girl – I’ve missed you too!! XXO you bring a BRIGHT ENERGY to my day!!

27 jenna March 9, 2011 at 8:06 am

oh my this looks so creamy and amazing! i love artichokes! i have some raw cashews just waiting to be used up! :)

28 spabettie March 9, 2011 at 8:16 am

oh, Jenna, it really is amazing! I hope you use your cashews for this! :D

29 Lisa March 9, 2011 at 9:32 am

That’s how I grew up eating artichokes. My mom steamed them and ate the leaves with a butter sauce. It was so good! I’ve never tried to recreate that as an adult. I usually just have artichokes in dip or on pizza now. :)

30 spabettie March 9, 2011 at 12:10 pm

I know – I’ve never cooked them that way either, I think I have to now! SO yum!

31 Dinner at Christina's March 9, 2011 at 9:41 am

What a yummy sounding dip! I love artichokes and usually cook them the way you described!

32 spabettie March 9, 2011 at 12:09 pm

how do you cook them – steamed or roasted or…? I want to try it!

33 Dinner at Christina's March 9, 2011 at 1:13 pm

I’ve made them 2 or 3 times this way = http://www.dinneratchristinas.com/2010/04/bsi-artichoke-stuffed-artichoke.html boil, then scoop, then bake stuffed!

34 spabettie March 9, 2011 at 6:02 pm

thank you – those look DELICIOUS !!

35 hihorosie March 9, 2011 at 9:44 am

Oh yummy! This sounds so delicious! Can’t wait to try it.

36 spabettie March 9, 2011 at 12:09 pm

I hope you do!! let me know how you like it!

37 christina March 9, 2011 at 10:03 am

mmmm. this is awesome! i love artichokes.

38 spabettie March 9, 2011 at 12:08 pm

me too… next time I will bake it and try it warm!

39 Alyssa @ Life of bLyss March 9, 2011 at 10:27 am

awful, I know, but I’ve NEVER had an artichoke straight before!

I DO, however, loooove spinach artichoke dip. and I really want to try and make yours. :)

40 spabettie March 9, 2011 at 12:08 pm

ha – Alyssa, I bet there are many that have not had a “straight artichoke” before! :) I thought about adding spinach to this, but there was only enough left for my smoothie this morning! ha! I hope you give this a try – let me know if you like it!!

41 Leanne @ Healthful Pursuit March 9, 2011 at 11:12 am

This dip looks tasty and delicious. Well done! I love artichokes. The first time I made one was in my early 20s in my first apartment. I steamed it and dipped it [as you did] but used a coconut oil + garlic dip. Gosh, I need to make that again. Thanks for the reminder!

42 spabettie March 9, 2011 at 12:06 pm

ooh, coconut oil + garlic sounds great, I may have to try that!!

43 Stephanie @ Thorns Have Roses March 9, 2011 at 11:25 am

Oh artichokes! My parents LOVED these and would steam them or bake them or boil them and then we’d dip them in butter. Soo good. Memories!! I have tried this with my kids but they weren’t sold. Dip looks fantastic!

44 spabettie March 9, 2011 at 12:06 pm

I was pretty picky as a kid, so I’m surprised I actually liked them back then. I know, good memories for me too!! :D

45 Dorry March 9, 2011 at 11:33 am

HECK YES, we used to eat artichokes the very same way. I still love it. And then we’d fight over the heart. So delicious. I love artichokes and this dip looks fabulous. I’m not sure where I’d be without nutritional yeast these days.

46 spabettie March 9, 2011 at 12:02 pm

okay, Napoleon!! :D tee hee…

I am really wanting a steamed artichoke right now… even after eating all this dip… ;)

47 Kath (My Funny Little Life) March 9, 2011 at 12:26 pm

*droooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooool* :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

When I ate an artichoke for the first time (my mom made them), they were steamed, and we plucked the leaves and dipped them in melted butter … so good! I also know the canned ones on a pizza.

48 spabettie March 9, 2011 at 6:04 pm

hello Kath!! this comment makes me so happy! :) yep – I think I’m going to have to steam one soon… I’ve been thinking of them all day… :)

49 Holly @ couchpotatoathlete March 9, 2011 at 1:11 pm

I love artichokes, although they are always in something — a salad or on a pizza, in a dip, etc. I’ve never eaten them “alone”.

Artichoke dip is the best and I bet that tasted so good with the crusty crusty bread — my favorite!

50 spabettie March 9, 2011 at 6:03 pm

oh yes it did !! :D

51 Beth @ Beth's Journey to Thin March 9, 2011 at 1:12 pm

Ohhh delicious! I’ve been seeing cashew dips all over the blog world lately and it’s making me want to try some!

52 spabettie March 9, 2011 at 6:03 pm

cashews are my favorite… :)

53 Kiran March 9, 2011 at 1:23 pm

That grill marks on the bread is fantabulous :)

54 spabettie March 9, 2011 at 6:00 pm

thanks, Kiran… it was SO tasty.

55 Christin@purplebirdblog March 9, 2011 at 2:19 pm

I am a huge artichoke fan, especially eating them the way you described as your first! Eating the flesh off the leaves is just too fun and delicious!

56 spabettie March 9, 2011 at 6:00 pm

mmm, I know… I think I need to make them that way soon…

57 Amy Bakes Everything March 9, 2011 at 2:20 pm

Gorgeous! This is like all my favorite food in one dip, for seriously. I’m totally making this, thanks for sharing!

58 spabettie March 9, 2011 at 5:59 pm

thank you Amy!! and good – please let me know how you like it !!

59 Joslyn @ missfitbliss March 9, 2011 at 3:39 pm

I’m loving this whole siracha thing! I don’t know if I’m spelling it right, but I’m intrigued by this mystery ingredient. Must try it out sometime soon…
Oh, and this is going to sound weird, but I am so jealous of your light! I can tell spring is rushing in faster there than it is here because your pics have the most gorgeous natural lighting!

60 spabettie March 9, 2011 at 5:58 pm

that is SO funny you say that, because it’s been dark and rainy here lately… it was sunny for a little bit yesterday, and we have a few skylights… these photos were taken DIRECTLY under one of those skylights !! :D

if you like HOT sauce that still has FLAVOR… you’d like sriracha!

61 Virtually Vegan Mama March 9, 2011 at 3:50 pm

I loooove cashew cream anything…that looks great! I have a great app over at my site you might want to try out if you’re feeling up to it ;) I’ve messed with this one and think it’s just right now…would love some more test kitchens to make it perfect!

love your blog!

62 spabettie March 9, 2011 at 5:57 pm

thank you!! I have tagged that, it looks great… I’ll let you know when I try it! (I LOVE roasted red pepper and have made a RRP Cashew Dip before!!) :D

63 Nellie (The Midlife Cruiser) March 9, 2011 at 4:22 pm

Your photos are GORGEOUS!!! I never thought I’d think a carrot could look so sexy :)

64 spabettie March 9, 2011 at 5:52 pm

thank you SO much!!

65 Nellie (The Midlife Cruiser) March 9, 2011 at 4:23 pm

Oh, and just so you don’t think I’m crazy, I’m referring to the carrots in your other post!

66 spabettie March 9, 2011 at 5:51 pm

haa… LOVE it!! :D

67 Heather @ kissmybroccoli March 9, 2011 at 5:31 pm

I love artichokes, but I’ve never tried them fresh…only the canned and jarred variety. I bought one the other day to experiment with, but I forgot about it in the fridge and it went bad! :(

68 spabettie March 9, 2011 at 5:51 pm

oh no!! :) I haven’t had a fresh one in a while, I’d love to make them the way my mom did when I was a kid – SO good!

69 Jess@HealthyExposures March 9, 2011 at 5:32 pm

I have been allll about makings sauces/spreads/dips/whatevers that are cashew based lately. Needless to say, this recipe looks ahh-maa-zing. Especially with the artichoke hearts!
Haha…first time I ate an artichoke (that wasn’t from a can) I ate the entire leaf. I had no idea you were just supposed to kinda…I don’t know…pull? off the softer part, though I was certainly wondering why it was so tough to chew :P

70 spabettie March 9, 2011 at 5:50 pm

me too!! well, now it just seems like a normal thing, I became addicted last summer!! :D yes – I suggest you try this one as soon as you are able – it is delicious!

ha – I suppose that would be a common mistake – it can’t really hurt you, but yeah, pretty tough!! it’s good you still like them now!

71 Tropical Eats March 9, 2011 at 6:21 pm

GORGEOUS photos! So crisp and poppin!

I love artichoke in salads and in dip. They are so pricey, but amazing!

72 spabettie March 9, 2011 at 6:24 pm

thank you!! :) yes… such a great tangy flavor! hope you are doing great, Shannon!! <3

73 Vegan Version March 11, 2011 at 7:06 pm

I grew up eating stuffed artichokes my mother made. She stuffed them with bread crumb, parmesan cheese, onion, parsely and drizzled them with LOTS of olive oil. I make them today minus the parmesan. They are SO GOOD!

74 S @ extremebalance.net/blog March 11, 2011 at 10:10 pm

OK: let’s talk seriously. I wouldn’t trust anyone else to advise me on this one… I have a BIG mental block about nutritional yeast. An even bigger one about calling it “nooch”, frankly, but let’s start with problem 1.

Yeast is alive.

Eating something that is alive and “slightly cheesy-tasting” actually has me agitated… how is nutritional yeast vegan friendly? How is it not disgusting, which it *must* not be since everyone seems to be blogging about it with love? I just don’t understand! Help me, Kristina! :D

75 spabettie March 13, 2011 at 4:19 pm

oooh, if only I knew you had this nutritional yeast quandary – I would have included a baggie in your care package. :) while I wouldn’t call it ‘life changing’ (I hope I would not be presumptuous to call ANY food life changing!), I do use it often and love the flavor it adds. being someone who only uses ‘vegan’ as a recipe label, I do have to chuckle at some of the living cultures vegans enjoy, including yeast and kombucha. (mmm, kombucha!).

nutritional yeast is actually not active, alive… I believe? it has been “deactivated”, so yeah, it was once a bacteria? I question because I think this is correct, but not entirely sure? I long ago learned to love yogurt, bread and beer making, and kombucha!

also? I get agitated when folks call it nooch. ;) I could write a whole post on cringe-inducing things people (especially some bloggers!) say.

food baby, anyone?

76 Beach Mama March 16, 2011 at 1:27 pm

YUMMY! My guys LOVE artichokes but I can take them or leave them . . . until now! I cannot WAIT to try this dip! I have not used nutritional yeast in many years but this is a reason for me to test the waters once again. If someone is unsure about the ‘veganiss’ of nutritional yeast, you could substitute . . . with what I don’t know but if one is compelled one will figure it out.

Thank you!

77 spabettie March 16, 2011 at 2:07 pm

yep, you could sub… well, I don’t know! you could leave it out. you could maybe use cashews – I use cashews A LOT as a base for dips and sauces and “cremes”. I hope you and your guys LOVE it!!

78 Tea April 5, 2011 at 6:06 pm

Nice post mate.

79 spabettie April 5, 2011 at 10:31 pm

thank you!

80 Marna November 25, 2011 at 7:53 pm

this dip is amazing!! the “creamy” of the cashews is perfect with the tangy artichoke. thank you!

81 spabettie November 28, 2011 at 8:23 pm

you are welcome, Marna! glad you enjoy!

82 Kris December 3, 2011 at 7:48 am

this sounds most excellent – a unique take on what is usually loaded with dairy, thank you!

83 Kari February 4, 2012 at 7:11 am

ew, this does NOT sound good to me (a spabettie first LOL). I have a BIG dislike of artis, though.

84 Kari February 20, 2012 at 7:00 pm

sounds great, I bet the cashew flavor is really good with the tangy artis.