double berry protein muffins

I have been sending Jason to work with snacks for those times when he doesn’t get out for a lunch break in decent time. Almonds, protein bars, and he has a newfound favorite, the Larabar! πŸ˜€

Yesterday I made him some muffins with staying power and flavor. Jason actually said they were perfect! You can expect to see many variations of the protein muffin in the near future – when I get a compliment like that I go with it! πŸ˜€

The protein and egg give these a dense texture I was looking for, and the sweetness comes from the banana and applesauce, and another banana I had to use up.

Grab your favorite protein powder and make these!

very berry protein muffins

makes 10-12 muffins

1/2 cup coconut flour
1 cup (2 packets)Β Berry Protein Shake
1/4 teaspoon baking soda
4 eggs
1/2 cup applesauce
1 banana
3/4 cup blueberries

Mix protein powder, flour and soda. In separate bowl, mash banana. Add applesauce and eggs, Β blend into dry ingredients. combine thoroughly, add blueberries. Spoon into prepared muffin tins/cups, 3/4 full.

Bake @ 350 for 25 minutes.

Immediately taste test, fresh from the oven with melty earth balance:

What is your favorite between meal snack?

Comments

I’m sure any protein would work! Mmm, vanilla berry sounds awesome. Since Jason gave them the “perfect” stamp of approval, I will be making all kinds of variations!

Those sound great and love that they have the protein in them to make them stick to the tummy longer. I never felt like muffins were worth eating b/c I was always hungry really soon after. My in between snack is typically Greek yogurt with cinnamon, stevia, blueberries, and a few almonds. I need to find other snacks though…

same here – these are the normal size muffin tin, but they are flat on top so they are pretty small. they have an awesome density to them, while still being kinda fluffy, if that makes sense. that’s why I am trying to come up with new things for Jason – he loves almonds and would just eat them all day… πŸ˜€

they looked like “real” muffins when I pulled them out of the oven!! they are pretty flat on top, and have a weird glossy top. must be the protein. I’ve baked with protein before, but I think I used oats and oat flour. they’re pretty awesome, so looks I can get past! πŸ˜€

These look delicious! I LOVE blueberry muffins of any kind. They remind me of my 1st baking experiences with my sisters when we were kids. I love sending Billy off with healthy snacks for the day. One of my favorite between meal snacks is an apple with almond or chunky peanut butter. And Larabars if I’m on the go!

I think you said this before – about blueberry muffins and your sisters – now I will probably think of that too <3

Its official… I’m addicted to your blog, Kristina! I love that you didn’t use sugar [I’m a huge fruit sweetening fan too] and love that they’re made with coconut flour [that stuff is pure fiber!] and protein powder… gotta love baking with it! I must try these muffins. I think my boyfriend would love them as a snack at work – sounds like he has the same issue as Jason.

Thank You, Leanne!! that makes me smile happy, I love hearing feedback like this! I have agave in the house, but I really prefer to use fruit to sweeten! I love sweets, but for day to day I like a more “natural” (meaning less?) sweet. :)

I sent Jason to work with a couple of these today… they are VERY good, they just have a weird shiny top to them after a while? They’re almost like a dense quiche, so you could probably reduce the egg by one? I am going to make more batches with different flavors, and I may play with the ingredients. They are definitely good as is… :) If you make some for your boyfriend let me know how you both like them!! :) Thanks again, you’ve made my day!

You HAD to go there and spread butter over those muffin halves, didn’t you! Doesn’t help my 11am hunger, but it sure looks tasty :)