Café Yumm!

in Dinner, Gluten Free, Portland, restaurants

We had a busy Thursday. When I started to think about dinner, something suddenly came up.

Jason called on his way home, and we decided on one of our favorites for quick and healthy eats – a cute and casual place called Café Yumm. The menu includes bowls, wraps, bento, salads and sandwiches, but for me, it is all about the bowl.

Their signature is the Original Bowl – organic brown rice, organic black beans, Tillamook cheddar, diced tomato, fresh avocado slices, sour cream, black olives, cilantro, Yumm! sauce and salsa. This is the one I usually choose, without cilantro and olives.

Perfectly savory, or as they say, Soul Satisfying. The Yumm! Sauce is amazing – a garlicy lemony goodness. Amazing and unique flavor.

I generally order the large bowl, eat half, and save the other half to eat in five minutes later. Because I also get a tofu skewer:

So delicious!

The first Café Yumm started in Eugene, Oregon (Go Ducks!), where there are now several locations. We have a few here in the Portland area, and they are also in Bend and Corvallis.
If you’re ever in the area

What’s your favorite quick food place that’s not fast food?

Cafe Yumm on Urbanspoon

Cafe Yumm! on Urbanspoon

1 suki @ [Super Duper Fantastic] January 7, 2011 at 3:05 pm

Depends on the type of food we’re craving at the time! We have a place for every type of food. Usually our options are quick, but there is one Indian/Pakistani place we love that takes forever because there is just one cook, and they’re quite popular. Show up after 7, and expect to wait for HOURS. :P

2 spabettie February 26, 2011 at 8:45 pm

Mmm, as long as it’s one of your favorites, waiting can be okay, right?

3 Heather January 7, 2011 at 3:24 pm

That food looks amazing – almost homemade. I wish there was a Cafe Yumm by me.

I love Moe’s Soutwestern Grill. Their tacos are heavenly to me.

4 spabettie February 26, 2011 at 8:48 pm

I have heard of Moe’s … we don’t have those here! :) Most of Cafe Yumm you CAN make at home, but the YUMM sauce is the kicker… so SO good!!

5 Di @ http://thetreadmilldiaries.com/ January 7, 2011 at 3:29 pm

I absolutely LOVE the original bowls. When we were out in Portland on vaca, the hubby and I got to try them for the first time. Fresh simple ingredients and SOOO good.

6 spabettie February 26, 2011 at 8:50 pm

that’s what I get almost every time… the Original Bowl… so fresh and tasty!

7 snackgirlgoeshealthy January 7, 2011 at 3:34 pm

I want Cafe Yumm! It looks so healthy and delicious!
hmm…not very many places! Probably Sharkeys Mexican grill. They make taco bowls too.

I’M My own fast food though! lol
I cook even when I don’t have time!

8 spabettie February 26, 2011 at 8:51 pm

that’s awesome – “I’m my own fast food”… that is a GREAT attitude, girl!! :D

9 purplebirdblog January 7, 2011 at 3:41 pm

That sounds magical! My favorite quick food place is a vegetarian Indian place called Curry in a Hurry! It’s the best :)

10 spabettie February 26, 2011 at 8:51 pm

oh, it IS magical! You have to come visit sometime, I will take you there!! :) so YUMM !

11 S @ extremebalance.net/blog January 7, 2011 at 3:46 pm

ohmygod ohmygod ohmygod! Doug Simpson is Friedrich von Trapp, all growed up!!!!

Yeeee!

(and that tofu skewer looks *a*mazing!)

12 spabettie February 26, 2011 at 8:53 pm

haaaaa haaaaa… really?? that is hilarious! (I’m totally commenting SO late, but I remember this and meant to comment back, I don’t know what happened??)

yep – the tofu skewers here are fantastic…

13 S @ extremebalance.net/blog February 27, 2011 at 10:08 am

That’s hilarious! Like a blast from the past! Both this comment, *and* Friedrich von Trapp.

I LOVE the SOM. I will now spend the day doing my best Julie Andrews… which is pretty awful, but luckily, I live alone. :D

14 spabettie February 27, 2011 at 10:25 am

ha! I thought this would make you smile, almost two months later! ;) have fun channeling your best Maria today!!

15 Dorry January 7, 2011 at 4:11 pm

Sounds YUMM. I like Chipotle for black bean & rice bowls with LOTS of guac and shredded perfectly lettuce AND Pei Wei for Asian rice or noodle dishes. Do they have those in Portland?

16 spabettie February 26, 2011 at 8:54 pm

we DO have Chipoodle here, and we LOVE it… I don’t think we have Pei Wei.. I’m going to have to look, because SO many people talk about it. I have to know all the good places, you know. It’s just the way I am. ;)

17 Jessica @ Dairy Free Betty January 7, 2011 at 4:27 pm

I would totally order that too! HOLY YUM!!!

18 spabettie February 26, 2011 at 8:55 pm

it’s SO good!!

19 Lisa @ Thrive Style January 7, 2011 at 4:27 pm

That sounds fab! I love meals that all come in one dish! And yours definitely has some of my favorite things in it! The tofu skewers….look gooey and yummy too!

Have a great weekend.

20 spabettie February 26, 2011 at 9:05 pm

I know… I love this place… so tasty… and yep, the skewers ARE so good! :D

21 I Will Run For Chocolate January 7, 2011 at 4:42 pm

We have one right across the street from campus and I have never tried it. Honestly, I was turned off by the name. It sounds pretty bad. But I guess now I will have to try it! :)

22 spabettie February 26, 2011 at 8:56 pm

oh, you SO need to try Cafe Yumm… ( this is me replying a month and a half later… have you been yet??) it is SO good…

hope all is going good with you, and that your computer issues are over! XXO

23 assistantdoc January 7, 2011 at 5:43 pm

I love love love the Original bowl from Cafe Yumm. I had to put myself on a forced break because I was eating there EVERY DAY for lunch. It is so good I crave it. The Ruben sammie with Seitan is super good and they have amazing vegan ginger cookies there too. Total deliciousness.

24 spabettie February 26, 2011 at 8:59 pm

Jason brought me one of those cookies recently… SO YUM !! we so need to plan a lunch there soon, love!

25 assistantdoc February 26, 2011 at 9:06 pm

Yes we do. Eric and I want to go out with you and Jason for lunch or dinner very soon. Ooops, I meant Tempeh Rubin not Seitan. Either way the sammie is delicious. Lets plan something.

26 spabettie February 26, 2011 at 9:10 pm

that would be great – Jason is a YES too!! :) let’s talk soon XXO

27 Heather (Where's the Beach) January 7, 2011 at 5:52 pm

Any place called Cafe Yumm sounds good to me ;-) Hugs girl.

28 spabettie February 26, 2011 at 8:59 pm

ha… yep, great name, right?

29 Stacy @ Every Little Thing January 7, 2011 at 7:09 pm

That place looks awesome!

Does a natural frozen yogurt place count? Cause those are my favorite non-fast fast food places :)

30 spabettie February 26, 2011 at 8:59 pm

that totally counts, Stacy!! I love fro yo… I have a date to get some tomorrow! :D

31 simplyshaka January 7, 2011 at 8:32 pm

That looks so simple yet so delicious and fresh. I wish we had a place like that.

Lately I’ve been loving two local deli/markets that offer an array of fresh made sandwiches and salads. Both have lots of veggie and gluten free options so it’s nice to see something thats made right in front of you but also wont kill your waistline or wallet.

32 spabettie February 26, 2011 at 9:02 pm

if you were in Portland… she says in a sing song voice ;)

I love places that make fresh things to order… and you can watch them… that’s like this place. so simple, fresh, and delicious!

33 Carbzilla January 8, 2011 at 7:07 pm

I’m gonna totally make that at home ( though I love the thought of having everything chopped for me). What size do you usually order?

34 spabettie February 26, 2011 at 9:04 pm

I order the “regular”… if I get the large I usually eat half at a time, save the other half for later

35 Jenna September 16, 2011 at 11:29 pm

we love this place, went last night on your recommendation, thanks!!