lime jello salad

I had to do it.

This year when my mom and I were making our lists of holiday eats, my favorite jello salad came up in conversation. From as far back as I can remember, until sometime in college, probably, we’ve had this salad every Thanksgiving and Christmas.

It was one of my very favorites, and I remember being assigned the task of portioning it into dessert bowls and placing them on the table, right before we would sit to eat. I took this job very seriously, and probably asked no fewer than twenty times “is it dinner time yet?” and “should I start now?”

I told my mom I would be making the jello salad this year. It is so SO good – and it tastes like childhood.

and it is SO easy:

Lime Jello Salad

1 (3 ounce) package lime jello
1 cup milk
2 cups mini marshmallows
1 8 oz can crushed pineapple, drained
1 cup whipping cream, whipped
8 ounces cream cheese, cubed

Pour milk in saucepan, add marshmallows and stir until half melted.

Add jello, stir until dissolved.

Remove from heat, add cream cheese and pineapple. Place in fridge to cool and set halfway – about 20 minutes.

Whip cream!

Fold whipped cream into half-set jello.

Transfer to serving dish and place in refrigerator to set – preferably overnight.

This is a very sixties or seventies dessert, isn’t it?
Why is it called salad?

It is now Jason’s favorite too.

Do you have a favorite dessert like this from childhood?

Comments

1. Thetreadmilldiaries says

I’ve seen this dish lots of times but never actually tried it. But based on the ingredients, I think I’d like it.

this is TOTALLY my childhood memory dessert. My nana used to make it every year. I sometimes make it for her. Its the weirdest combination yet tastes so good, haha!

Oh, wow. I don’t think I’ve ever had anything like that before.

I have memories of visiting my great grandmother in her New York City apartment, and we’d eat her neighbor’s homemade oatmeal raisin cookies with mushy ice cream. (My great grandmother’s freezer was always broken.) I used to love that combination, and still like ice cream that’s slightly melted.

Wow I’ve never heard of something like that! It kind of reminds me of ambrosia. Looks delicious. Also, I had this tab at the top of my browser and it said “Lime Jello S…” and I was sure it was going to be a recipe for jello shots! Bring me back! :)

Yay for any kind of “salad” made with whipped cream! I always made one very similar to this – only with Pistachio Pudding instead of Lime Jello….and we didn’t melt the marshmallows. Just dump it all into a bowl and stir! I seriously brought this to every.single.family.gettogether. for years on end! (And I’m happy to report that Diggity’s family had “The Pink Stuff” at every holiday meal, again basically the same thing!)

I feel a New Year’s Eve dessert coming on now…Jello Salad here i come!

We had something similar on our table every year growing up, but it always grossed me out and I never ate any! I wonder if it would be one of those things that I like later in life.

Hmmm, I’m pretty into plain old jello. I’m not sure about all of these add-ins. Maybe I’ll have to try it some time when I’m feeling adventurous!

I love love jello a lot though, in pretty much every flavor…

We used to do something similar to this, but it did not have jello. It was a frozen cherry “salad” with cream cheese, cool whip, cherries, marshmallows and pineapple. I LOVED it. I need to come up with a dairy free version of that one. Yours looks so good too!

Why is it called salad? Hahahaha. Good point. <3

This 100% reminds me of my grandmother. I'm pretty sure she made a very similar "salad" when I was growing up. I love that you took your job so seriously – too cute. Now, I'm picturing the adorable picture you posted once of yourself in the kitchen as a little girl!

Mmm I used to LOVE jello salad as a child, it was always on my plate during the holidays and this year was no exception. I need to make this asap πŸ˜€

Love it! Gotta love the lime green powder WITH, was that, real whipped cream?

I gotta say, my mom’s peanut butter cookies are pretty darn good.

And – you’ll be happy to know – I know own a whisk. But what do I whisk? I’m pretty sure it’s not meant for my TEEN…..

12. jennifer says

So, my batch of jello salad is in the fridge. My son helped me whip the cream and I’m waiting the required 20 mins, the only problem I had was with the jello itself. You didn’t mention what size of package to use, so I had to guess based on similar recipes online and the ratio of jello to liquids and solids (fruit and nuts) and I ended up using half of the large box of lime jello I picked up at the store. Also, the crushed pineapple I had in the pantry turned out to be pineapple tidbits (who knew there was such a product?) I’m thinking it will still turn out pretty good (I licked the spoon and it tasted delightful).

Thanks for this lovely recipe, I’ve never made or eaten anything like it.

hi Jennifer! oops, I generally use the smaller size jello, which is 3 ounces, the larger size is 6, so you guessed right!! πŸ˜€ sorry about that, I have updated the recipe. this is one of my favorites from childhood – glad you made it and hope you LOVE it!

13. jennifer says

I stuck it in the freezer, because I (um, WE) couldn’t wait to eat it tomorrow. Just took a nibble (ladleful) and it is delectable!

Thanks bunches, this is now one of my favorite things to eat and I can’t believe how quickly it came together and I didn’t have to use the oven, yahoo!

haa – I love that you did that (sounds like something I would do!). isn’t it wonderful?? :) so happy you like it!

14. Garrett says

I’m doing some early planning for holiday parties and have been searching for the “jello salad” my mom used to make – this sounds like it!! did you ever add cherries? can’t wait to try your recipe

15. Anne says

this is exactly what I was looking for! we had this during the childhood holidays, and it has been years. I wanted to make it this year. I recall ours having walnuts and sometimes cherries (shudder), and liking neither – I will be making it exactly like yours. thank you so much, happy holidays to you.

and happy holidays to YOU, Anne! thanks for saying hello – I hope you love this as much as you did back then! it is a tradition for my family too – I had it growing up, and last year brought it back! enjoy!

16. Ramisa says

thank you! I found this just in time, resurrected a childhood favorite for our holiday table yesterday. it was such a joy to rediscover, and exactly as I remembered…

you are SO welcome, Ramisa!! I felt the same way last year when I made it – a childhood favorite that was GOOD to revisit! Cheers to you, happy holidays!

17. Seamane says

this is EXACTLY what I am looking for!! we used to have this when I was a kid too, and I am planning to surprise everyone with it this year, I can’t wait. thank you for posting and helping me remember exactly what was in this! merry Christmas to you!

18. Sarah says

Also a favorite recipe from my childhood. Over the years? I’ve played with the recipe – its just as good with Orange, Rasp, or Strawberry Jello (the orange is a favorite) So nice to know we aren’t the only ones who make “Green Stuff” as we have always called it.

• Kristina Sloggett says

I have made this raspberry flavor before, I loved it! Green stuff – I think we called it that as kids :) such a tasty childhood memory!

19. Jane says

This recipe brought back such wonderful memories. (Seriously, tears in my eyes.) My Memaw used to make this for Thanksgiving, Christmas, and Easter. I haven’t had any (or even thought about it) since she died nearly 10 years ago. Thank you so much for reminding me of such a treasured childhood memory. I think I just might have to make me some this weekend. THANK YOU!!!

• Kristina Sloggett says

oh Jane, this message made my day! thank you! I too have such fond memories tied to this recipe – it IS my childhood! I hope you did or will be making this – perhaps for Easter?

Cheers! Kristina

• Jane says

I made this for Easter and my family LOVED it. They even said it tasted better than Memaw’s. Thank you so much for sharing this recipe with me. I will make it for my family just as she made it for us. (The instructions and pictures really helped–not that strong in the kitchen.) :)