grapefruit pound cake

Grapefruits are so good right now! I have been eating at least one a day – sometimes two. This recipe is actually something I started thinking about over the summer, and I am happy I was so swamped I waited until now to get around to it.

I made a loaf to bring to a party, and a small loaf for us to eat at home! I recently found the cutest mini loaf pans, and this was a great time to use one:

Honestly, I did getΒ a few looks atΒ grapefruit cake, but even the skeptics loved it!

grapefruit pound cake

1 cup ap flour (Bob’s Red Mill gluten free)
1/3 cup cornmeal
1/4 cup tapioca flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
2 sticks Earth Balance
1 cup sugar
4 eggs
2 teaspoons vanilla
1/3 cup fresh grapefruit juice

Combine flours and baking powder. Separately, cream earth balance + sugar. Add eggs + vanilla. Slowly add dry ingredients. Add grapefruit juice until just incorporated.

Pour into prepared loaf pans and bake @ 350 for 55 minutes, or until inserted toothpick comes clean.

I squeezed juice of one more grapefruit, added to about 1/3 cup powdered sugar and poured as a glaze over the top.

Is anyone else having an insanely busy week?

thank you!! the grapefruits are STILL really good right now, I am loving them. I’m making this again this week! :)

LOL! I’ve seen the video posted everywhere but for some reason hadn’t watched it until now. (Really, this just means I trust your humor and not the humor of others.) I have to send it to Billy right now.

Yumbo bread and cuuuute mini loaf pans. And truly beautiful pics. I love your colorful backgrounds. Very appealing to my rainbow-loving eyes.

2. eatmovewrite says

Grapefruit?!? I’ll admit I would probably be one of those people giving you funny looks. I’m open to new things, so I’d give it a try, but I can’t say that I’ve ever liked grapefruit. Too sour!

Those baby loaf pans are precious. I really need a bread loaf pan – can you believe I’ve never had one?!?

That cake sounds refreshing, if that makes any sense. Imma file this in my spring recipes, lol. Is there a chocolate peppermint version floating around, lol.

Cats, ahhh. Tell Basil he’s 100x cuter.

Ok, I was a bit skeptical when I saw the title but I do love both grapefruit and poundcake so why the hell not? Looks delish!

Let’s not even start on how busy of a week it is for me. I am catching up from being off for two days plus have five more days off this month–oi!

5. Sarah @ Long Legs Healthy Life says

You’re a lifesaver! I was just wondering what I could make with the 6 grapefruits I have at home! Do you have a substitution for the tapioca flour? That’s the only thing I don’t have in my pantry.

I’ve used brown rice flour in place of tapioca before – they are similar in consistency. You could probably use all purpose for the whole thing, also.

Girl, I am dying over here to sink my teeth into this loaf! Please, tell me again why you do not bake for a living?

This looks so tasty and so healthy :) Grapefruits are great for cellulite I just learned! Bring the grapefruits on!!

ah… I know, right? I should have my bakery by now too… πŸ˜€

I am still loving grapefruits right now, making this recipe again this week!

Wow! A grapefruit pound cake? You are BRILLIANT and very DARING! That is what I love about you – you are fearless & unapologetic – and, you make me think that I too could successfully tackle a grapefruit pound cake πŸ˜‰

And – uh – your little dishes are ADORABLE! So lovely indeed.

Congratulations on being FoodPressed – you so deserve it!

thank you, Kris!! I am still loving grapefruit right now, and I’m tackling this one again this week!! :)

mmmm I have never baked with grapefruit before=brilliant! It has been a totally crazy week. I am ready for the weekend! Thanks for the sweet comment on my blog πŸ˜‰

Oh my GAWSH!! I am a MUCH bigger fan of “fruity” desserts over sugary, frostingy, icingy, choclatey ones. This sounds so good to me – I love citrus! I bet it smells deliciuos too! I’m definitely going to be trying this with grapefruit and other citruses. I might even experiment with zests or slices on top for decoration. Also? Your mini loaf pans = socute! Thanks for sharing these w/ Friday Firsts!! Bookmarking!!!

I would never have thought to add grapefruit to a pound cake – what a great idea!

Have you seen the kittens inspired by kittens video on you tube? one of my favorites!

I’m with Shannon, I’ve been seriously craving citrus too. This really looks delicious! And that cat video was hilarious. My favorite was when he started popping him in the face. The dialog was perfect:)

12. sara says

my friend just sent this to me after she made it – says I need to because I’ll love it. looks delicious and great pic too!