blueberry zucchini bread

A couple nights ago, we lost power. Out here in the boonies, it is not uncommon when it’s windy. πŸ˜€

Here is the funny thing. We were almost asleep. The power went out, our white noise machine fan went out, the outside light went out (I like that it lights the room a bit through the sliding door to the deck!).

The funny thing? We were immediately awake! We got up, grabbed the flashlights, and we went outside to walk around. I logged into the PGE website (via phone…) and reported the outage. We kinda sat there in the dark for a little bit, and even started looking at netflix movies we could watch on my phone!

Basil was confused.

Crazy, right? It’s not like we were in the middle of the evening and the lights went out! We were almost asleep! Yet suddenly when it’s um, dark, we are wide awake!

It’s how we roll.

I may have eaten a couple pieces of this bread. You know, since the power was out, the fridge was out, and it might go bad. On the counter. πŸ˜‰

blueberry zucchini bread

1 cup ap flour (Bobs Red Mill Gluten Free)
Β½ cup coconut flour
Β½ cup oats
Β½ teaspoon salt
1 tablespoon cinnamon
2 Β½ cups zucchini, shredded
1 cup blueberries

2 eggs (Ener-G egg replacer)

Combine all dry. Combine all wet. Mix together.

350 bake for 30-35 minutes – until inserted toothpick comes out clean.

Do you sleep with a noise machine?

What do you do when the power goes out?

What a great recipe! I’ve never used coconut flour! And I need another reason to pull out my mandoline :) I’m going to add this to my December recipe list (vacation next week, vowing to not go shopping…just eat the food we have in the house now!)

• says

I know… I’m doing a pantry clean right now also… but I had a CRAVING for zucchini bread… I didn’t even know if I’d find any good ones this time of year?? :)

• says

ha, right?? if the power has been off for a while I start thinking about the food… Jason seems to think that as long as we don’t open the door to the fridge or freezer it will be fine. πŸ˜€

This dessert looks great.. I really would like to try the flavor combo of blueberry and zucchini.

I do not sleep with a noise machine.. and when the lights go out it’s time for candles! However, I’m not sure if we are allowed to light candles in our new apartment so I better keep a flashlight handy too, huh?

• says

ooh, yes, you better have flashlights, just in case! :) this is the first time I’ve added blueberries to my zucchini bread, it was GOOD. I’ll definitely do it again!

• says

have to have noise! I think that’s why we got up, it was WAY too quiet (we live out in nowhere!) zucchini bread is one of my favorites… I love it more than banana!

That’s some good thinking, eating the bread before it goes bad. You never want to take any chances when it comes to bread!
    I love lighting candles when it’s dark. Not as much out of necessity but really out of love for candles :)

Coconut flour and bluerries sound like an awesome combination! When the power goes out I normally freak out a bit. It acutally happened our first night in our new apartment while I was unpacking the bathroom. Luckily that is the only time it’s happened since we moved a year ago but it was scary!

• says

yeah… I really don’t like it at all… if it’s at night. I used to play tennis at a racquet club with 9 indoor courts… courts 7 8 and 9 were the farthest away, and if the power went out it was PITCH BLACK out there… completely freaky!

5. eatmovewrite says

Ha ha. I do think there is a direct correlation between power outages and bread going bad on the counter.

What to do during a power outage… Well, you heard about the 1960s power outage in New York, right? Urban myth says that because most of the city was without power, 9 months later there was a huge baby boom. So, I guess people get it on! Bow chick bow bow.

6. spabettie mom says

That bread looks yummo!
    HA!….Oh yeah, we have a ‘noise machine’……it’s
    my husbands C Pap machine..( better than the snoring)!
    Looking forward to “Turkey Day” with you two and the Basil boy too; Jake and Elwood will love it….

yummmmm. I love baked goods with blueberries. Reminds me making blueberry muffins with my sisters when we were little. We definitely sampled the batter with raw egg in it on more than one occasion. One of the many things I love about vegan baking these days…the dough isn’t off limits!

We like the consistent noise of our ceiling fan but I also LOVE the louder whooshing sound of a box fan.

We had a major power outage around Christmas last year for hours and hours. It was snowing outside so we didn’t feel like going anywhere else. We bundled up, started and fire, drank vodka and played cards.

• says

“We bundled up, started and fire, drank vodka and played cards.” <– My Perfect Evening !! seriously, we need to add this to our never ending list of “What Dorry and Kris Will Do”. πŸ˜€

that is my favorite thing about vegan baking!! and yeah, not that the other stuff was off limits, even if Mom said I’d get worms? WHAT?? Obviously I lived on the edge. πŸ˜‰

First, I’ve never had blueberries and zucchini together… I’m intrigued.

Second, I must sleep with a noise machine. I even have an extra one so I can travel with one. When the electric goes out in the night, I’m awake until it’s back on.

I sleep with a movie on my laptop… but with earplugs in. So that way, I listen to the movie while I fall asleep, but once I’m asleep the earplugs keep me that way. :)

When the power goes out, I revel in the silence: no fridge humming, no whirring or buzzing or beeping of anything electrical, I just savour the quiet. But since the power’s on, I’m gonna go bake, which is almost the same thing in terms of zen…

• says

ah, yes… baking is IT for me too… I love it. πŸ˜€

I don’t do well in silence (meditating is very challenging for me); I almost always have the television on for noise, or music playing.

• says

Nicole, I’m not a HUGE coconut fan (but for me it is mainly texture…) but the flour adds a sweetness, not really too much coconut flavor. you could sub it for another flour. :)

There is NO way I would have gone to sleep with the power out. I have this weird fear that I’m never going to wake up. My alarm won’t go off or something weird like that. I have to make sure all is right with the world before I can go to sleep.

As for the zucchini bread, yum-my! I would have never thought to put blueberries in there. When I was a kid my grandma’s neighbor made zucchini bread all of the time!

• says

I get that way if I have to be up at a certain time (even if on a normal day I have no problem getting up without an alarm!) If it’s something important, a meeting or an airplane, I must set multiple alarms. and then check them three times each. then once again, because I think that by checking I have turned it off… *sigh*