blueberry zucchini bread

in baking, Dessert, Gluten Free, recipes, Vegan

A couple nights ago, we lost power. Out here in the boonies, it is not uncommon when it’s windy. :D

Here is the funny thing. We were almost asleep. The power went out, our white noise machine fan went out, the outside light went out (I like that it lights the room a bit through the sliding door to the deck!).

The funny thing? We were immediately awake! We got up, grabbed the flashlights, and we went outside to walk around. I logged into the PGE website (via phone…) and reported the outage. We kinda sat there in the dark for a little bit, and even started looking at netflix movies we could watch on my phone!

Basil was confused.

Crazy, right? It’s not like we were in the middle of the evening and the lights went out! We were almost asleep! Yet suddenly when it’s um, dark, we are wide awake!

It’s how we roll.

I may have eaten a couple pieces of this bread. You know, since the power was out, the fridge was out, and it might go bad. On the counter. ;)

blueberry zucchini bread

1 cup ap flour (Bobs Red Mill Gluten Free)
½ cup coconut flour
½ cup oats
½ teaspoon salt
1 tablespoon cinnamon
2 ½ cups zucchini, shredded
1 cup blueberries

2 eggs (Ener-G egg replacer)

Combine all dry. Combine all wet. Mix together.

350 bake for 30-35 minutes – until inserted toothpick comes out clean.

Do you sleep with a noise machine?

What do you do when the power goes out?

1 JL goes Vegan November 19, 2010 at 3:21 am

What a great recipe! I’ve never used coconut flour! And I need another reason to pull out my mandoline :) I’m going to add this to my December recipe list (vacation next week, vowing to not go shopping…just eat the food we have in the house now!)

2 spabettie November 19, 2010 at 12:16 pm

I know… I’m doing a pantry clean right now also… but I had a CRAVING for zucchini bread… I didn’t even know if I’d find any good ones this time of year?? :)

3 Anna November 19, 2010 at 4:41 am

Haha…funny story. I’m glad you had this bread to keep you entertained during the outage– it looks delicious!

4 spabettie November 19, 2010 at 12:15 pm

yes, the bread definitely helped!! :D

5 Page @ Good Clean Fun November 19, 2010 at 5:07 am

yum, this does look “eat in the middle of the night” worthy. good thing you didn’t let it go bad out on the counter either:)

6 spabettie November 19, 2010 at 12:15 pm

ha, right?? if the power has been off for a while I start thinking about the food… Jason seems to think that as long as we don’t open the door to the fridge or freezer it will be fine. :D

7 LiveForTheRun November 19, 2010 at 6:08 am

I want to pop that beautiful loaf in a toaster oven and grab a glass of milk! MMMMMM

8 spabettie November 19, 2010 at 12:13 pm

yes… it is so good warm! :)

9 couchpotatoathlete November 19, 2010 at 6:40 am

Heehee — there are no blueberries in your recipe? :)

We don’t have a white noise machine, but we do have a humidifier and an air filter that goes all night, so that kind of does the job!

10 spabettie November 19, 2010 at 12:13 pm

well !! THANK YOU, Holly!! ;) *updated now* yes- I bet if you turned those off you’d miss the noise!

11 Katie @ Healthy Heddleston November 19, 2010 at 7:24 am

This dessert looks great.. I really would like to try the flavor combo of blueberry and zucchini.

I do not sleep with a noise machine.. and when the lights go out it’s time for candles! However, I’m not sure if we are allowed to light candles in our new apartment so I better keep a flashlight handy too, huh?

12 spabettie November 19, 2010 at 12:12 pm

ooh, yes, you better have flashlights, just in case! :) this is the first time I’ve added blueberries to my zucchini bread, it was GOOD. I’ll definitely do it again!

13 Heather (Where's the Beach) November 19, 2010 at 7:26 am

LOL we have a noise machine going full blast too ;-) That bread sounds so good. I’ve never made a zucchini bread,

14 spabettie November 19, 2010 at 12:11 pm

have to have noise! I think that’s why we got up, it was WAY too quiet (we live out in nowhere!) zucchini bread is one of my favorites… I love it more than banana!

15 Camille November 19, 2010 at 7:33 am

That’s some good thinking, eating the bread before it goes bad. You never want to take any chances when it comes to bread!
I love lighting candles when it’s dark. Not as much out of necessity but really out of love for candles :)

16 spabettie November 19, 2010 at 12:09 pm

yes, me too… I love candle light.

17 Beth November 19, 2010 at 7:33 am

Coconut flour and bluerries sound like an awesome combination! When the power goes out I normally freak out a bit. It acutally happened our first night in our new apartment while I was unpacking the bathroom. Luckily that is the only time it’s happened since we moved a year ago but it was scary!

18 spabettie November 19, 2010 at 12:09 pm

yeah… I really don’t like it at all… if it’s at night. I used to play tennis at a racquet club with 9 indoor courts… courts 7 8 and 9 were the farthest away, and if the power went out it was PITCH BLACK out there… completely freaky!

19 christina November 19, 2010 at 8:53 am

what an interesting combo! i love it!

20 spabettie November 19, 2010 at 12:08 pm

Thanks – it’s GOOD. :D Have a fabulous weekend, Christina !!

21 eatmovewrite November 19, 2010 at 9:17 am

Ha ha. I do think there is a direct correlation between power outages and bread going bad on the counter.

What to do during a power outage… Well, you heard about the 1960s power outage in New York, right? Urban myth says that because most of the city was without power, 9 months later there was a huge baby boom. So, I guess people get it on! Bow chick bow bow.

22 spabettie November 19, 2010 at 12:06 pm

haa haa… that’s awesome. ;) and what do WE do?? get up and go outside! huh??

23 spabettie mom November 19, 2010 at 9:20 am

That bread looks yummo!
HA!….Oh yeah, we have a ‘noise machine’……it’s
my husbands C Pap machine..( better than the snoring)!
Looking forward to “Turkey Day” with you two and the Basil boy too; Jake and Elwood will love it….

24 spabettie November 19, 2010 at 12:05 pm

hee! I suppose after a while that machine becomes a soothing sound? :D Can’t wait either!! THE DOG SHOW IS ON !!

25 Liz @ Blog is the New Black November 19, 2010 at 9:59 am

Yum! Looks so good!!!

26 spabettie November 19, 2010 at 12:04 pm

Thank You Liz!

27 Di @ http://thetreadmilldiaries.com/ November 19, 2010 at 10:14 am

It’s interesting how people react when the power goes out. We get lots of candles going, grab our tech gadgets (iPad, IPhones), gather by the fire place, and watch movies/listen to tunes. It’s like camping but for much less time. :)

The bread looks great btw.

28 spabettie November 19, 2010 at 12:03 pm

yeah, I had to laugh eventually… we really could have just fallen back to sleep… :)

29 Dorry November 19, 2010 at 11:07 am

yummmmm. I love baked goods with blueberries. Reminds me making blueberry muffins with my sisters when we were little. We definitely sampled the batter with raw egg in it on more than one occasion. One of the many things I love about vegan baking these days…the dough isn’t off limits!

We like the consistent noise of our ceiling fan but I also LOVE the louder whooshing sound of a box fan.

We had a major power outage around Christmas last year for hours and hours. It was snowing outside so we didn’t feel like going anywhere else. We bundled up, started and fire, drank vodka and played cards.

30 spabettie November 19, 2010 at 12:03 pm

“We bundled up, started and fire, drank vodka and played cards.” <– My Perfect Evening !! seriously, we need to add this to our never ending list of “What Dorry and Kris Will Do”. :D

that is my favorite thing about vegan baking!! and yeah, not that the other stuff was off limits, even if Mom said I’d get worms? WHAT?? Obviously I lived on the edge. ;)

31 Michele @ Healthy Cultivations November 19, 2010 at 3:24 pm

First, I’ve never had blueberries and zucchini together… I’m intrigued.

Second, I must sleep with a noise machine. I even have an extra one so I can travel with one. When the electric goes out in the night, I’m awake until it’s back on.

32 spabettie November 19, 2010 at 3:58 pm

Hi Michele! this was my first time adding blueberries to my zucchini bread, and I LOVE it. yep, we have to have some noise to sleep to…

33 simplyshaka November 19, 2010 at 4:58 pm

Hmmmm, ironically enough I have almost all the ingredients for this bad boy. I may need to try soon :)

34 spabettie November 20, 2010 at 10:17 am

yes, DO It !! :) so yummy

35 Anna @ Blissful Whimsy November 19, 2010 at 6:08 pm

I love zucchinni bread and blueberries…combining them sounds divine :o)

36 spabettie November 20, 2010 at 10:18 am

Hi Anna! this was my first time adding blueberries, I love it! Zucchini bread is one of my favorites, and so are blueberries!!

37 S @ extremebalance.net/blog November 19, 2010 at 8:25 pm

I sleep with a movie on my laptop… but with earplugs in. So that way, I listen to the movie while I fall asleep, but once I’m asleep the earplugs keep me that way. :)

When the power goes out, I revel in the silence: no fridge humming, no whirring or buzzing or beeping of anything electrical, I just savour the quiet. But since the power’s on, I’m gonna go bake, which is almost the same thing in terms of zen…

38 spabettie November 20, 2010 at 10:20 am

ah, yes… baking is IT for me too… I love it. :D

I don’t do well in silence (meditating is very challenging for me); I almost always have the television on for noise, or music playing.

39 lindsay November 20, 2010 at 3:36 am

I love this combo!! I bet it would be good with some pecans thrown in there as well. This just might be one of my homemade “gifts!” ;)

40 spabettie November 20, 2010 at 10:21 am

oh, I would be very happy to get this as a gift… like maybe mini loaves? :) and now you’ve got me thinking of a pecan crumb topping…

41 Nicole @ Making Good Choices November 20, 2010 at 6:03 am

The last time I tried baking with zucchini it was a major fail. I need to try again. I don’t really like coconut, does using the flour make it take a lot like it?

42 spabettie November 20, 2010 at 10:22 am

Nicole, I’m not a HUGE coconut fan (but for me it is mainly texture…) but the flour adds a sweetness, not really too much coconut flavor. you could sub it for another flour. :)

43 Erin November 20, 2010 at 8:46 am

There is NO way I would have gone to sleep with the power out. I have this weird fear that I’m never going to wake up. My alarm won’t go off or something weird like that. I have to make sure all is right with the world before I can go to sleep.

As for the zucchini bread, yum-my! I would have never thought to put blueberries in there. When I was a kid my grandma’s neighbor made zucchini bread all of the time!

44 spabettie November 20, 2010 at 10:24 am

I get that way if I have to be up at a certain time (even if on a normal day I have no problem getting up without an alarm!) If it’s something important, a meeting or an airplane, I must set multiple alarms. and then check them three times each. then once again, because I think that by checking I have turned it off… *sigh*