white bean quinoa burger with basil aioli

After two tasty trials, the third time is Most Definitely A Charm.

I finally made a vegan ‘burger’ that fits my criteria – great taste, holds shape, short ingredient list.

See? Very few ingredients, just as I like it:

Those ingredients make for a very tasty burger, and after baking, they held their shape!

check, Check and CHECK !

For added flavor, I also made a vegan basil aioli, using my beautiful basil plant:

Jason’s burger, without tomatoes:

Jason had a second burger, sriracha-fied.

white bean quinoa burgers

1 can great northern beans, rinsed, halfway mashed
1 cup cooked quinoa
1/2 cup yukon gold potatoes – mashed
1/4 cup nutritional yeast
1/2 red onion, finely diced
2 cloves garlic, finely diced
sea salt, to taste
+ gluten free ap flour, to roll/form (1/8 cup)

Combine all ingredients except flour. Using flour, form patties 3 1/2 inch round, 1/2 inch thick.

Bake @ 325 for 40 minutes – flip burgers after 20 minutes.

Makes 5 burgers.

vegan basil aioli

1/2 cup raw cashews, soaked overnight
1/3 cup water
splash lemon juice
25-30 fresh basil leaves

Pulse soaked cashews in food processor. Add water, lemon juice and basil – pulse to combine.

For dessert, I found more of those HUGE grapes!

The bun was gluten free, a tapioca + corn bun that is made locally.
I am excited to try more products – I’ll let you know more soon!

and because it has been a while, My Favorite Basil wanted to say hey:

What are your favorite burger toppings?

Do you like basil, the herb? :)

Do you have a dog? πŸ˜€

Oh, those do look good, Kristina! :-) I love veggie burgers. πŸ˜‰ My faves so far are blackened black bean burgers, but I need to get some quinoa so I can make yours soon. :-)

• says

the aioli is SO good… I’ve made it a few times now, changing the “flavor”. easy peasy.

THANK YOU for sharing that… SO cute!! I think I’ll get one for us AND for my mom… uh, oh… she reads my blog. ah, well – happy holidays, mom!! πŸ˜€

YUM. so glad they turned out. I wouldn’t have thought to add potatoes. I do like adding oats. Oh – tip on the cashews if you care – grind the cashews in your coffee grinder then you don’t even have to soak. I tried this for the stew I made – worked perfectly. Great for someone like me with a cheapo blender πŸ˜‰

Hi Basil!!! I was starting to wonder where he was…

And those burgers look delish! You know I’m on my huge “protein kick” er whatever, so I’ll definitely be making these soon. I’m with you on the ingredients–I hate recipes that call for like 20 different things. Which is why I like your burger recipe. Clean and simple.

As for your last question. Of course I have a dog. I have a Sheldon…haha.

• says

Heidi, I actually thought of you as I was adding Basil’s photo. πŸ˜€

I should have thought of you with the protein content of these… yes, you WILL love them!!

pet Sheldon for me!

You show us all these burgers and then leave us with a hot dog. What a fantastic combo, something I would definitely like to try.

I love red onion on my burgers, crispy and tons of flava!

• says

gotta have hot dogs with burgers πŸ˜‰

I LOVE red onion also… I’d have topped these with them if they weren’t inside the burger already!! πŸ˜€

These look delicious – and unique in the sea of other veggie burger patties. Yum! I want Jason’s with sriracha, please. I like a ketchup + mustard blend, tomato, lettuce, avocado mash, salt + pepper on my veggie burger. Maybe some pickles – depends on my mood.

I love both of your Basils – the plant and the pooch. We don’t have a dog…but I imagine we will one day and (as I’ve mentioned), I’m slowly convincing Billy that it should be a Dachshund! Basil, Jr. :) Or maybe Cilantro? πŸ˜‰

• says

YES to a DOXIE for Bird & Bee !! we have been thinking of getting a SISTER for Basil… and naming her Rosemary. *aw*

I knew you’d like the sriracha. I thought of you as I was fixing it for him… XO

Wow these look good! Of course we have a dog. :) Dogs rule. I actually want to get ours a little brother or sister because I love dogs so much.

I don’t eat cow, but for a turkey or veggie burger my favorite topping is cheese. πŸ˜‰ And yes, basil the herb is good, but your Basil is much cuter.

(by the way, this is Aimee, I started a new blog since mine are behaving so badly and may be lost for good).

• says

Hi Aimee !! I recognized your (awesome) email… and then thought the worst… I am SO sorry – I hope you didn’t lose your blog… sorry you’re still having problems – I’ll update your info in my reader… <3

I love basil the herb, and basil the dog is pretty rockin’, too. There’s nothing *not* funny about Dachshunds… the way they cock their heads like you’re talking to them, the passive-aggressive teenage girl thing that they throw… hilarious!

And burgers are best with mustard and avocado!

Oh my, I’m going to be trying your veggie burger soon! Love the addition of quinoa.
    I used to love basil, but now it causes me some indigestion.
    We have a big loveable Golden Retriever, named Chase.

• says

Great! Let me know how you like them if you try!! I would be sad if I couldn’t have basil… I love it so (obviously…) :)

Golden Retrievers are so awesome…

• says

I think the small amount of mashed potato helped bind, along with the quinoa… forming them with FLOUR and then baking them gave them a sort of crispy exterior, and they held up well!

I love that you put “Do you like Basil, the herb?” I love the herb and I love your dog!!

Thank you so much for posting this recipe! I’ve been on a vegetarian kick for dinner lately and have a huge feedbag of quinoa I am trying to go through and always looking for suggestions. A little aioli sauce never hurts either :)

Ahhhh, you used the black quinoa! How is it? Does it taste the same as regular? I wondered! I have got to use the nutritional yeast! I think it is the only thing I haven’t used that you sent me! Maybe this weekend!

• says

YES – I love it !! it smells different, very “nutty” – the taste is maybe slightly different? not as much as the smell… I love how pretty it is though!

Hi There!
    I’m new to your blog! These burgers look great! I think I’m going to make these for dinner tonight because I’ve had frozen cooked red quinoa in my freezer for weeks and didn’t know what to do with it!

I’ll let you know how they work out for me! Thanks so much for sharing! :)

12. Zenana Smith says

my friend shared this link with me, I made them last night and they are SO good! Elizabeth, they take a momment to come together but I believe it’s the potatoe that helps, they DO make patties!

the flavor is great!