Canyon Ranch Spa

in BIRTHDAY,Breakfast,restaurants

We ate many of our vacation breakfasts at Canyon Ranch Grill, part of the spa at the Venetian. Jason began each day with a double espresso. Then another. ;)

I started my days with fresh juice – apple, carrot, beet and ginger – just like at home

Fresh juice is one of the Most Beautiful Things. To me.

Started breakfast with fresh fruit.

Jason had the Frittata del Giorno – baked Italian omelet with cheese and asparagus, potatoes.

and hot sauce.

I chose the most amazing thing… the Breakfast Relleno -
poblano chile, organic eggs, served over polenta.

This was so flavorful – I love rellenos – and the polenta was perfect and went well with the chile.

__________________________________

One day on vacation, I spent a luxurious few hours at Canyon Ranch Spa.

The spa is amazing.

As a spa director, I have been lucky enough to manage the opening of a major resort spa. As a client, I very much appreciate the attention to detail and the variety of amenities of a large – scale spa.

The Canyon Ranch Spa at The Venetian is truly world class. They assign you your locker, you change into your robe, and you enter another level of relaxation:

I got into my fluffy robe, and found my way to the Crystal Steam Room, then dipped into the HydroSpa. Warmed and happy, I wandered down the hall to a lounge. I selected an apple and ice water, and sank into a chair to relax.

Within a few minutes, I was guided down another hallway to the Conservatory – a larger co-ed are of chairs, lounges, music, more fruit and beverages.

I spent a few minutes at a skin care station, sampling lovely product, then made my way to the Salt Grotto, one of my favorite areas. You relax into heated benches in a room with walls of salt. I relaxed into this warm bench and breathed in the salty air. I left a few minutes before my appointment, so I could check out the Wave Room – a relaxing area with wave sounds and scents.

As soon as I walked out my therapist was calling my name. I was assigned to the wonderful Janene. I booked a facial, energizing body scrub and massage. The scrub I chose was stimulating coffee, rosemary, mint and citrus. It was amazing.

Having many years of working in the spa industry, I have received a lot of massage and body work. Janene is a highly skilled massage therapist who truly knows the body.

I told her I wanted a full body massage, with focus mainly on neck and shoulders – which she expertly worked on with heat paks (LOVE heat!). She noticed I needed hip work, and we talked about my running. In a destination spa, I expect more of a relaxation experience, rather than the expert body work I received.

Janene exceeded all expectations.

Canyon Ranch Spa was truly a wonderful experience all around.

________________________________________________________________________

I was starving when I met Jason for lunch at, where else? The Canyon Ranch Grill.

He ordered the Breakfast Relleno.

I had the Portobello Sandwich with grilled onions, peppers and herbed mayo on foccacia.

oh, my… this was fabulous.

I also wolfed about seven huge glasses of water, then had a vodka lemonade:

Every day, every visit, was not complete without my apple – carrot – ginger – beet:

Some days, I would have two.

Canyon Ranch was all around a perfect experience.

Do you visit spas? What is your favorite treatment?

Canyon Ranch Cafe (Venetian) on Urbanspoon

1 Shirley @ gfe October 12, 2010 at 3:35 am

Oh, I had to click over when I saw this title for sure! Canyon Ranch Spa is definitely on my “to do” list! ;-) Love your great exposure to it. Beautiful pics and images you’ve planted in my head! :-) That fabulous massage with the gifted masseuse sounds especially good to me.

Shirley

2 spabettie October 12, 2010 at 12:13 pm

my first time to the legendary Canyon Ranch… it was glorious. It was a welcome surprise to have a highly skilled therapist.

3 Claire October 12, 2010 at 3:39 am

I love the Canyon Ranch Spa…you’re right, they exceed expectations which I think is key for a spa experience weekend getaway. I don’t love Vegas but when the hubby wants to go for fun with the boys, I have no problem tagging along knowing I’ll set myself up quite happily at the CRS.
Another spa that I love and believe to be an exceptional experience is 10,000 Waves outside of Sante Fe, NM. The private outdoor hot tubs at sunset (before a massage preferably) when it’s cool outside and the trees are full of leaves and the mountains are painted purples, blues and yellows is a fantasy fairytale dream come true.

4 spabettie October 12, 2010 at 12:12 pm

our last visit to Santa Fe I saw 10,000 Waves!! we were already staying at a spa where I had booked tx each day – I told myself next visit I’d go there – thanks for letting me know it’s as good as I hoped! I love Santa Fe…

5 Heather (Where's the Beach) October 12, 2010 at 4:26 am

Wow, what an incredible day. I’ve never been to a spa like that. I’ve been to the spa on a cruise ship and then to one in my hometown where I just happened to win a spa day – but nothing that included awesome food too!

6 spabettie October 12, 2010 at 12:11 pm

it was birthday bliss… sure wish it was the normal ! :)

7 brandi October 12, 2010 at 4:51 am

Believe it or not, I’ve never been to a spa! It’s on my wish list, though.

8 spabettie October 12, 2010 at 12:10 pm

yes, that needs to change! ;)

9 couchpotatoathlete October 12, 2010 at 5:25 am

Oh man, Jason and I are going to Vegas in November (my Jason not yours, ha!) — and I need ideas of where to go. Canyon Ranch Spa sounds lovely! Thanks for sharing!

10 spabettie October 12, 2010 at 12:09 pm

yes, Go Here!! both of you… the conservatory is the co-ed area, you can enjoy the salt grotto and the wave room together! :)

if you need other ideas, let me know!!

11 Joslyn @ missfitbliss October 12, 2010 at 5:50 am

Wow this looks like an amazing experience! Thanks for sharing it with us:)

12 spabettie October 12, 2010 at 12:07 pm

if only I could review spa as my job… :)

13 EmbraceYourSkin October 12, 2010 at 5:53 am

Oh my gosh, this sounds epically amazing! I have only been to a spa once (because I am poor) but it was the greatest thing ever! I never wanted to leave!

14 spabettie October 12, 2010 at 12:07 pm

the massage I had would be PERFECT for you, right now, Miss Marathoner! :)

15 LiveForTheRun October 12, 2010 at 6:27 am

I would have never left that place, ever. Literally in the lap of luxury, and I’m not typically one for massages.

16 spabettie October 12, 2010 at 12:06 pm

you have all day access to the conservatory and all the wonderful fluff .. it WAS hard to leave! :D

17 Jill October 12, 2010 at 9:30 am

I’m glad you posted this because next year my Dude has a HUGE conference in Las Vegas. I’m going with him and was wondering what I’d do all day long while he was working. Problem solved. Here I come, Canyon Ranch Spa.
So glad you had time to relax and enjoy!

18 spabettie October 12, 2010 at 12:05 pm

you should go… it really is amazing… and with a treatment you have ALL DAY access to the conservatory. they also have a huge rock climbing wall and fitness.

19 Katie @ Healthy Heddleston October 12, 2010 at 9:39 am

Your description of the massage and your experience makes me want to visit a spa pronto. I’m glad you had a great time!

20 spabettie October 12, 2010 at 12:04 pm

I have been thinking a lot about it… I cannot wait for another spa day.

21 Dorry October 12, 2010 at 12:30 pm

Kris, :)

This sounds like the most fabulous day of relaxation and wellness! I love spas – don’t have the chance to go as often as I would like but I enjoy a good massage more than anything else. And pedicures. I love those, too. xo

22 spabettie October 12, 2010 at 12:33 pm

yep. pedis are my favorite… a couple years ago I got Jason hooked on them too… the owner of the place I usually go LOVES when he comes in.

I love EVERYTHING spa… obviously. ;)

XO Kris

23 Angela (the diet book junkie) October 12, 2010 at 2:15 pm

oh wow, is it wrong that i just got here and i’m already jealous? :)

i’ve only been to one spa and that was in Fiji for my wedding (i know, life is rough.) the hot stones were probably my favorite part. what kind of work did you do in the spa industry?

24 spabettie October 12, 2010 at 2:46 pm

I’m a spa director – management and financial roles, mostly – I managed the opening of a resort spa, which was fun. I’ve also done business and software consulting for spas.

Hot stone massage is wonderful… thanks for commenting – I’m off to read YOUR blog now!! :D

25 glutenfreemuse October 12, 2010 at 6:45 pm

This looks a lot like the Canyon Ranch in Miami! They must be related, are they?

Glad you had a great time! I would love to go one day :-)

26 spabettie October 12, 2010 at 7:28 pm

I’m not positive, but anything Canyon Ranch is probably all the same – I know there are many locations. :) It was awesome.

27 Mary (A Merry Life) October 12, 2010 at 10:28 pm

I admit to being completely jealous of your spa time. Looks lovely! I’m glad you were able to enjoy it. :)

28 Christie - Honoring Health October 13, 2010 at 2:46 am

I have never been to a spa! Of course, I have always wanted to and really dream of going on a yoga/spa vacation someday. I need to save lots of pennies before that can happen though. Closest I ever got was getting a massage on my honeymoon!

29 MarathonVal October 13, 2010 at 5:16 pm

Wow, what an incredible experience!!! When we were in Vegas in August we ALMOST stayed at the Venetian, and now I’m going to push for us to stay there the next time ;) My only complaint is that the Venetian doesn’t have a buffet….

30 spabettie October 13, 2010 at 5:39 pm

it was really a fun, indulgent birthday for me!! :)

31 twobooswhoeat October 14, 2010 at 12:44 pm

Obsessed with Canyon Ranch! I took a yoga class there during my last stay at The Palazzo. It was amazing. The spa is so nice. I love the rainforest showers.

32 spabettie October 14, 2010 at 1:56 pm

oh, me too! did you go into the salt grotto? my favorite. I want to go back…