baller

in Gluten Free, Sunday Garden Series, Vegan, yard & garden

We have blueberries that are turning blue, and apples in our trees.

What should I do with them?

This morning I was wiped out after my workout; in fact, it was a struggle to get through the entire Shred. (My least favorite part of Shred, by the way? Knee circles in the warm up. No.) I had gone on an extra long walk early with Basil, but that’s not really unusual. I’m not usually tired after my workouts. I’m done, but not tired. I needed energy.

When I was young my mom used to make no bake peanut butter balls. She’d roll them in all kinds of toppings – carob powder was my favorite.

I came up with an energizing recipe inspired by my mom’s peanut butter balls.

I started with one cup peanut butter. I used Adam’s: ingredients = peanuts.

I added 2 scoops chocolate protein powder.

5 tablespoons hemp hearts!

2 tablespoons molasses. Made about three hours away, in Eugene!

Rolled into about 3/4 inch balls, with hemp hats on:

baller

No hemp hearts? Substitute nuts, seeds, oats, oat bran, granola… I’m already thinking of the next ones I’m going to make.

Keep in refrigerator:

They just got a “Mmm – Hmm” and a “NOM” from Jason.

questions:

With the 4th of July holiday this weekend, I should be thinking about good old american apple pie. Any other ideas for apples?

American readers, what are your plans for the holiday weekend?

Do you need to laugh so hard that it will concern your dog? Read David Thorne’s blog. Hilarity.

Happy Friday + holiday, everyone!

1 Katherine: What About Summer? July 2, 2010 at 3:30 am

I love your plant! I hope you figure a good use for the berries when they are ripe. Also, I’m so glad I found your blog to see that recipe. It looks amazing!
Katherine

2 Jill July 2, 2010 at 5:10 am

Those PB balls look fantastic! I might steal your recipe and turn it paleo. Or just follow your recipe and throw paleo out the window for a day ;)

3 Andrea@CeleryITC July 2, 2010 at 5:57 am

AHH! I wish I could grow things in my apartment. :(

I’m off to research these hemp hearts..sounds good to me!

4 eatingmachine July 2, 2010 at 6:13 am

i love doing apple crisp, mostly because it’s quicker and lazier than apple pie, but still delicious.
and making an apple pie type filling + putting it on pancakes/waffles? so yummy

5 kaztronomic July 2, 2010 at 10:42 am

I’m seriously having this epic, internal struggle to not make a dirty comment involving the word “balls”. I’ll refrain, but that’s the last of my self-control allotment for the day. If you see me dive head first into some cake later, remember this moment and realize I sacrificed the last of my control on not being a juvenile teenage boy. :D

I think maybe an upside-down cake would work for both the apples and the blueberries. German pancakes are also a good use for apples. And of course, lots of muffins.

Nope, no plans for the holiday weekend. Maybe I’ll drag the fella out to watch fireworks or something.

6 spabettie July 2, 2010 at 1:14 pm

you should have seen how many titles for this post, and how many words I went through to Not Use Ball. So I am happy to hear I am not the only one who owns property in the gutter ;)

have fun with the cake diving later! :)

7 Lynn July 2, 2010 at 11:26 am

I love to smear peanut butter or almond butter on a hot waffle and stack slices of apples on top. Its good mixture of textures, flavors, and yummness. I will have to try the peanut BALLs but Im going to use maple syrup instead cuz thats all I got!

8 spabettie July 2, 2010 at 1:16 pm

…and Lynn just goes ahead with it… ! ;) I was going to use maple syrup but we’re out! out! can you believe?

9 dorrybird July 2, 2010 at 12:07 pm

Those PB balls look so tasty! I love an apple crisp or cobbler. Billy and I are heading to Austin this weekend to spend time with friends on the lake!

10 spabettie July 2, 2010 at 12:17 pm

Say hello to Austin for me!! I love it there, and although we generally go each year for SXSW and see our many friends there, we missed this year… we’re going this fall :)

have a fabulous weekend!

11 dorrybird July 2, 2010 at 1:49 pm

Are y’all going for ACL in October? We spend A lot of weekends in Austin with football games, etc. Would be fun to see you in Texas!

12 spabettie July 2, 2010 at 1:58 pm

we were thinking October, but just recently were talking about labor day for camping then staying a week or so… ? I will definitely let you know our plans, so we could possibly meet up! :)

13 dorrybird July 2, 2010 at 2:19 pm

Fun! Great time of year in Texas. :)

14 Jackie (Peaces of Earth) July 6, 2010 at 6:30 pm

Yum!! These look fabulous. I’ve been thinking of different energy ball ideas, and these are right up my alley. :) I love hemp seeds!