all about the Caesar

in appetizers, BIRTHDAY, Dinner, Gluten Free, grilling, summertime, Vegan

We continued Jason’s birthday into the weekend (I actually started giving him gifts June 1… we rock the Birthday Month around here).

Saturday we had family over – my mom (spabettie mom !) and stepdad, my brother, my sister and her husband.

Even though it was Jason’s birthday, he grilled for us all, because he is Fantastic At Grilling. He loves it too – he has a couple Bobby Flay cookbooks that he consults – we ate at MESA in Vegas (Caesar’s Palace, WOOT!)  a couple years ago and we’ve been All About The Flay ever since. Amazing.

You know who else is amazing? Angela. She glows, man. I think it’s from all the crazy awesome food she comes up with. For the bbq I made her Three Minute Vegan Parmesan Cheese. Wow. So easy.

So crazy tasty good:

1/2 cup toasted sesame seeds
2 tablespoons nutritional yeast
1/4 teaspoon sea salt

Toast sesame, add all ingredients to blender or food processor and GO!

Vegan Parm is amazing.

My very favorite salad is a Caesar. I had a cat in college I named Caesar. Best Cat Ever, along with my other cat, Mooger Fooger. I miss them both.

Salad! Caesar saladRaw egg it’s usually made with? NOT my very favorite. Not a fan at all. Know what I did with that vegan parm? Made Angela’s Vegan Caesar Salad Dressing!

The garlic scape continues to evade me, so I used a garlic clove (or three). I also used olive oil in place of her sunflower oil.

This is what went into mine:

1/2 cup raw cashews
1/2 cup vegan parmesan cheese
6 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
3 garlic cloves
1/2 teaspoon sea salt
1 cup water
fresh ground black pepper

Add cashews to food processor, blend to powder. Add the rest of the ingredients, blend.

This was fabulous. The flavor is a Very Close Match to a traditional Caesar. To me, this one is better!

random question: Do you have a pet, and what is it’s name? Past pet names? What are they named for?

1 Ilana June 28, 2010 at 5:02 am

Isn’t vegan parm unbelievable?? I just made it with sesame+pine nuts+nooch+lemon zest+salt but basically anything works. i’m soooo happy now.

2 spabettie June 28, 2010 at 5:16 am

YES it’s pretty amazing. I’m so happy too :)

3 Kim June 28, 2010 at 5:12 am

If ever I could find some nutritional yeast I would be all over that vegan parm!

I currently have 2 dogs named Whiskey and Tyson and a cat named Reuben.

Growing up I had 4 dogs, Lily, Duchesse, Nikki & Mika and 3 cats, Gandalf, Canelle & Goofy.

And now my parents have 5 dogs which are also mine by association, Tiga, Tristan, Logan, Duncan & Bella.

Yeah… we REALLY like animals in our family :D

4 spabettie June 28, 2010 at 5:19 am

nutritional yeast – you cannot find? in a bulk section of a health food store, maybe?

awesome pet names, thanks for sharing! what kind of dogs do you & parents currently have? (my parents have two dachshunds right now, and we had several when I was growing up..)

5 Heather (Where's the Beach) June 28, 2010 at 5:42 am

Oh, loving this dressing idea. Yum. I have 2 Cocker Spaniels named Heath and Madeline (aka Maddie). My 2 previous Cockers were Erin and Abigail (aka Abby). All but Abby came from rescue groups. Heath was named after the Heath candy bar and it was too appropriate to change. Erin was named Erin b/c she was rescued on St. Patty’s day.

6 spabettie June 28, 2010 at 5:46 am

aww… doggies. bless you for rescuing… Basil is from Oregon Dachshund Rescue :) many of our previous doxies were rescue / adopted as well :)

I love Heath candy bars…

7 eatingmachine June 28, 2010 at 6:32 am

i have a kitten named takeout.
she has a bowl that looks like a takeout container, and says “takeout” on it. when i found that i knew her name was meant to be.

in college i had two birds, and i named them misery and company. best part? misery really DID love company (but company hated misery!)

8 spabettie June 28, 2010 at 7:06 am

takeout is a great name!

ah, the birds! that is classic.

9 Erin @ A Girl and Her Mutt June 28, 2010 at 6:34 am

Love the vegan parm! It goes well on everything.

I do have a dog (or Mutt!) whose name is Korky. :) He is a rescue dog and came with that name. It fit him, so I kept it!

10 spabettie June 28, 2010 at 7:09 am

ah, sweet korky :) you are awesome to rescue :)

11 thehungryscholar June 28, 2010 at 6:39 am

So many cookbooks!

My family dog is named Wilson, after the House character. We really love our TV.

12 spabettie June 28, 2010 at 7:05 am

:) Wilson! I think I knew that…

one of our old dachshunds was named Kozmo, for Kozmo Kramer on Seinfeld. and we named my mom’s current dachshunds Jake + Elwood.

and the cookbooks? I have a problem. what is pictured is a very small amount. I like to read them. :)

13 sophia June 28, 2010 at 7:05 am

MESA?!! Oh you lucky gal! I’ve always wanted to visit!
I wish I had a pet, but unfortunately I’m just not responsible enough. I used to have a few pets, but they died/ran away. Clearly, I’m not meant to be a pet owner.

14 spabettie June 28, 2010 at 7:10 am

it was delicious… we looked for Bobby Flay, I don’t think he was there… :) !

15 saltytooth June 28, 2010 at 7:27 am

Wow, that sounds great. I need me some vegan parm!

16 spabettie June 28, 2010 at 10:07 am

DO THIS.

17 Notes from the Fatty File June 28, 2010 at 7:48 am

I am super impressed by this! I also love Caesar salad. My kitty’s name in Charlotte.

18 spabettie June 28, 2010 at 10:08 am

It’s my favorite salad! both of these are super easy and SO delicious!

19 dorrybird June 28, 2010 at 9:38 am

I love you b/c every recipe you make is something I want to try. EVERY ONE. I used to have a dog named Sadie, a cat named Marmelade (orange kitty), another dog named Lexie and one time we had 2 baby ducks named Ferdinand and Ralph. They grew too big for our backyard and we took them to the park. Your post makes me want to name a pet Caesar – cute, huh?

20 spabettie June 28, 2010 at 9:58 am

aww… thank you friend :) you should make this, it’s amazing!

Caesar was a orange kitty! was Marmalade a BIG cat? not fat, big, stocky? Caesar was tall and slim as a kitten – his adult size was like 28 pounds… he was healthy, not overfed or fat… just HUGE. :) I loved him so… and Caesar… yes, I doubt I ever would, but it’s such a great name, I want another Caesar…

so YOU should get a Caesar, I’ll be it’s virtual mama :)

XXO thanks for making me smile, again, today.

21 spabettie June 28, 2010 at 10:08 am

AND I LOVE THAT YOU HAD DUCKS.

22 kaztronomic June 28, 2010 at 9:42 am

I think Bobby Flay is exceptionally skilled and talented, but dang it, he’s so *cocky*. I watch Iron Chef in the slight off-chance that he might lose, but he never does. xD But I do admit, he’s very good at what he does.

I have three fuzzbutts (cats): Felina, Oso, and Wookiee. They’re brats. :D But, I do love them.

23 spabettie June 28, 2010 at 10:06 am

GAAH I know… I try to ignore it, because I like everything he does (except all that freakin’ cilantro).

HE NEVER LOSES IRON CHEF !! EVER. I think it’s in his contract. :) !!

your cats are SO cute… I love the latest photo of Oso with the peach.

24 kaztronomic June 28, 2010 at 10:15 am

Hah. So true! xD

And thanks! :D Oso is a beast; if I’m eating it, he wants to eat it, too. He has a particular fondness for ice cream (non-dairy, oddly enough) and peanut butter, but gave serious yuckface to my green smoothies.

25 spabettie June 28, 2010 at 10:39 am

Basil LOVES the green monster !

26 Kelly June 28, 2010 at 11:30 am

We have a dog named Kodi. He is REALLY old and so we are currently on the look out for our next one! :)

27 spabettie June 28, 2010 at 7:11 pm

aww, Kodi… we had an old doxie, got a puppy, helped keep older one energetic ! :)

get a pup now, maybe it’ll lengthen Kodi’s life :)

28 lisasfoods June 28, 2010 at 12:27 pm

I just love a good caesar salad, and I like the idea of one that’s vegan to elimiate the anchovies and eggs.

No pets right now, but we had a dog named Kelsey when I was growing up.

29 spabettie June 28, 2010 at 7:10 pm

that’s why I LOVE this one… no eggs & anchovies, thanks !!

30 Meg June 28, 2010 at 4:01 pm

I adore your dog – it makes me miss my baby SO MUCH! I love it out here in Cali, but I need my little furball :) I’m not sure where the name “Cara” came from, but I love it anyhow – because it’s her name ;) haha! I named her when I was young.

This recipe looks delicious, I love caesar salads!

31 spabettie June 28, 2010 at 7:03 pm

:) Doxie Cara is SO cute! Isn’t there another one? or am I getting my DOXIE BLOGGERS mixed up, hee!! :)

You can stop by spabettie anytime for a doxie fix… Basil has his own category. :)

you should try this… its delicious. very easy! :)

32 Megan @ The Oatmeal Diaries June 28, 2010 at 4:09 pm

I love every recipe I’ve tried from Angela! All genius. And I have had horses in the past (Belle and Chance) but now I just have a cute little (well, old) Golden Retriever named Daisy!

33 spabettie June 28, 2010 at 7:04 pm

ha… I’m going to have to lay off Angela’s recipes for a while – or she’ll think I’m stalking her :)

all awesomeness, though. :)

34 Caitlin June 28, 2010 at 5:50 pm

where’s the croutons, miss ?

this looks great

35 spabettie June 28, 2010 at 7:05 pm

:) mom and I are gluten free :)